New domestic airport in S Domingo.

El Tigerito

May 4, 2003
Who knows details about new airport, the one that was built to substitute Herrera. I think since it is kinda bit far from the city centre, somewhere beyond Villa Mella, it will not be so popular for flights to P. Rico. Today some people like Herrera because it is in the heart of the city, 2 minutes from 27 de Febrero. Amplified highway to the airport makes the trip to SDQ like 15-20 minutes from the city, so what is the purpose of this new airport?

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Tigerito,
I was still living in Santo Domingo in 1999 when work on the new airport was started, so I remember well the rationale. In essence, Herrera airport was deemed unsafe (I think it was an ICAO-backed inspection?), precisely because the city had grown up around it (believe it or not, originally it was well beyond city limits, back in the days when SD essentially ended at what is now Lincoln). The people who used Herrera the most -- small craft -- did not want to shift their traffic to Las Americas. But why on earth the they chose a site for the new airport near La Duquesa waste dump is beyond me....
Hope this helps.
Regards,
Keith