Aerocontinente Suspends Service to DR

Searcher

May 5, 2003
Source: N6 Marketing Dept in Peru.

It was announced that effective June 14, 2003, Aerocontinente (N6), Peru biggest airline will stop flying from SDQ to MIA and viceversa.

Presently, Aerocontinete operates 3 flight a week from MIA-SDQ-MIA (Mon-Wed-Fri). As you all heard it before AA also cancelled flights from MIA to SDQ.

It is obvious that the devaluation of the Dominican peso (USD1=DOP25) continues hurting the local generation of traffic.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
MIA - SDQ What Reductions?

For American: I am looking at the schedule and it seems the same as always.

A lower peso should attract North Americans to the DR.

Searcher

May 5, 2003
American cancelled its 11:10 departure from SDQ to MIA.

In regards to the devaluation of the pesos, my comments were very clear....GENERATING LOCAL TRAFFIC...WHICH MEANS LESS PEOPLE WILL BE ABLE TO TRAVEL IN THIS SEGMENT....

It is also true that those living out of DR (like me) will probably find the devaluation attrative and visit DR.

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
11:10 Flight?

Searcher said:
American cancelled its 11:10 departure from SDQ to MIA.

When did they have an 11:10 flight ? I fly to YYZ via MIA all the time and the choices (forgetting the horribly early 7 - ish flight) other than Tuesday's were the 9-ish ( or 10 non DST) or the 3:05 p.m. ( or 4-ish etc.) - according to the schedule they also have a 12:19 leaving as of July 2.

The normal Flights 480, 680, 1516, and 882 are the ones I can recall and they are all running - the only thing that is not there now is that once a week Tuesday flight around 8 a.m.

Searcher

May 5, 2003
Ricktoronto:

Why do you want to complicate things???

You've got it right...AA flight 1516 departing SDQ 12:19 was cancelled several weeks ago.

:cool:

El Tigerito

May 4, 2003
It was cancelled only for period of May, low season had its result. FLight will be operate as always since June

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
The Implication AA Cancelled "Flights "

Searcher said:
Ricktoronto:

Why do you want to complicate things???

You've got it right...AA flight 1516 departing SDQ 12:19 was cancelled several weeks ago.

:cool:

Especially in THIS part of the forums which haven't had good news about an carrier this year, is not quite accurate if they cancelled it May and June and resume as per their downloadable and online schedules on July 2nd.

AA has really good, consistently scheduled service to and from the DR via MIA JFK, etc. and I suspect it will continue.

I also think they make so much with freight that passenger loads may be a secondary form of income on some of those flights.

I concur if the peso has fallen 50% that those int he DR who earn and spend pesos to go to the USA must be hurting.

aviastar

Bronze
Jan 12, 2003
www.www.www
This is good that Aerocontinente will disappear, we need descent solid airlines here, not adventure companies that fly today and tomorrow they won't. Their marketing strategy was very poor, that airline doesn't know what is publicity, they've chenged their way to do business like zillion times, that airline is not popular among travel agents. When they created it, we all knew that it will never last.

I hope Aerocontinente's expirience will be in use to those who will operate new airlines now. Aerocontinente Dominicana caused financial loses only, it had like the world's lowest load factor AND IT HAD NO FUTURE AT ALL! So this is a result, especially today, when everything is complicated. It is not 1996 when people used to fly more frequent than board carros publicos.