The Route from POP to Samana

dudi_h1

May 12, 2003
I will arrive to POP in 2 weeks. I am planning to rent a car and to drive all the way down to Samana.
Since I will arrive to POP around 4:00 P.M (Afternoon) - I need to ask your advise about driving at dark time, and also some details about the Route.

Thank you,

David

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Driving at night is not advisable, especially for someone not familiar with driving in the DR, because of the drunks, bright lights that aren't dimmed, and animals and people on the road.

But it is staying light later with the approach of summer, so you should have daylight or twilight for most of the trip--proving you leave as close to 4 as possible. If you are held up, then you should think about getting a room in Sosua for the night and leave early in the morning. Or, as an alternative, you can take a taxi to Samana and rent a car there when you need one.

If you drive, hard to get lost since there is only one road. Get on the highway from the airport and stay on the same road into Nagua. There, you will come to a corner where you must turn left to go to Samana or right to go to San Francisco de Macoris. Turn left and stay on that road into Samana.

maryanne

Mar 16, 2003
I've done the drive but I left POP first thing in the morning. I wouldn't recommend driving into the evening especially if this will be your first time. The roads are not the greatest, nor the safest. Not sure if it's possible to drive halfway and then stop for the night. Any thoughts? Any place to spend the night between POP and Samana? Someone out there must know ('cause I don't remember).

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Rio San Juan is a possibility, but I'd recommend Sosua because of the greater availability of inexpensive lodging for the night.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You don't know it kid

But these people just saved your life.

Nighttime drivingis very risky, if not outright dangerous. Ken is being kind.

Stay a night in Sosua, catch a bus at 7:30 a.m. and leave the driving to them.

Ken can give you the names of five places to stay for less than 25 dollars, with breakfast included.

HB

dudi_h1

May 12, 2003
Go ahead Ken !!!

Can you please give me some names (I prefer beach front...and < 25$, we are 2 broke students)

Thank you very much
David

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Way to go Ken

Don'cha feel good. Like how we just saved that kid'd life??

And rocky's at $15 a night is super...Condo and a pool and Eddy's Sports bar!!!

Wish I was young and adventurous...

HB

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Since when, Samana1? If so, it must be since I last went to Samana a couple of weeks ago. The road is in need of maintenance.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Re: POP-Samana

Samana1: "Well their is a new road with reflectors on the ground, you can drive with no problems to Samana!!!! but not to Las Terrenas (the road from Sanchez to Las Terrenas is a nightmare)"

Are you talking about the El Limon highway? I'm a chicken for driving along curves and although that road is brand new and has its reflectors, give me the Las Terrenas road anytime and not the winding El Limon road. It actually takes about half an hour more from Las Terrenas to Sanchez along that road, which I would only recommend if you are headed to Samana and then for daytime driving.

But I think Ken and Hillbilly have set these fellows straight, sending them to the hotels in Sosua and then to take the Caribe Tours bus.

Samana1

Bronze
Jan 4, 2002
www.samana-peninsula.com
Well the road

Well the road from POP to Nagua are normal but the road from Nagua to Saman? are new or fixed road with reflectors on the ground i thought it was a new paved road with reflectors, when you arrive Sanchez some 7 km for Sanchez is the road normal but you can drive it. I hope you rent a Jeep thats the best to visit Saman?.

Last edited:

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
Samana 1,
I don't know what road you're on but it's definately not the same one I regularly drive, the last time a week ago. Not only does the road not have reflectors, it hasn't been touched (other to temporarily patch the potholes that keep developing) in the 7 years I've been in Samana. And the stretch between Sanchez and Samana has gotten worse. A few potholes were patched on that stretch several months ago. Samana's roads have destroyed 2 sets of tires and the suspension on my Jeep Cherokee in just the past three years. Tell me about it.

Regardless of what you are telling these people, it's not wise to drive anywhere in the DR at night unless absolutely necessary (necessary as in "life threatening").

Samana1

Bronze
Jan 4, 2002
www.samana-peninsula.com
Andy B

Maybe you are right dont take the risk.

Well i have passes 5 times in the night from ... to Los Naranjitos de Las Terrenas, when i was in Nagua transit to Sanchez in the night i saw at the road relfectors im not blind but ok you are right its to dangerous to drive in the night. Well depart in the morning you can also enjoy the beautiful scenery.

Also for more information on www.samana-peninsula.com (transportation page)

and on www.samana.net (Andy B)

also a new website www.samana.biz and also here on dr1.com just listin to Andy B he is located in Las Galeras and he nows the actual status.

Andy B well im born in Sanchez but every time when i visit i forget to pass EL Catey airport how far are they.

And also check this map

Landkarte%20Samana.jpg

do you see a new - - - - - - - road from Playa Bonita to Playa Jackson (can you tell me more)

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
Several roads shown on this map don't exist, only as trails passable by horse and maybe a mortorcycle (dirt bike). This looks like a copy of an old map from some time ago (10 years or more) that has been translated from the original Spanish version. There are other secondary roads that are not even shown on this map. The dotted line from Punta Bonita to el Catey probably is the proposed road from the new airport to las Terrenas.
All work at the el Catey airport stopped over 6 months ago but Jasper reports that the IADB loan has been approved and work should start again soon.

Samana1

Bronze
Jan 4, 2002
www.samana-peninsula.com
Catey

Well doesnt matter of their stop it will be activated when the santo domingo - samana highway is completed (some name for this new highway as Routa del Coral Punta Cana)

They need to open Arroyo Barill their can land a ATR42 aircraft and smaller it will be very nice, more tourist.

Andy B i have heard that you want to leave Samana after 30 years in Samana? why? The best time still need to come.

http://www.guatapanal.com.do/

Andy do you have any pictures of this airport or a paint of the project?

Last edited: