Cabarete to Samana

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
All depends on what you want to do in Samana. I make the round trip frequently, but go for a specific purpose that is doable within the time available. Whether it is feasible for you depends on what ou want to do there.

You didn't say how you planned to go to Samana. Are you driving, or thinking about a different means of transportation? Bus transportation round trip is available.

From Cabarete to Samana is about 3 hours.

If you tell me what you would like to accomplish in Samana, I can respond to your question more intelligently.

jg2000

Jan 20, 2005
Info on bus to Cabarete to Samana

Hi,
I will be travel to Cabarete in 2 weeks and wanted to see the Whales in Samana.
Can I take a bus from Cabarete to Samana? Can I do it in one day?
I am told that Caribe Tours Bus goes to Samana, does it stop in Cabarete?

Thanks
jim

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
jg2000 said:
Hi,
I will be travel to Cabarete in 2 weeks and wanted to see the Whales in Samana.
Can I take a bus from Cabarete to Samana? Can I do it in one day?
I am told that Caribe Tours Bus goes to Samana, does it stop in Cabarete?

Unfortunately the Caribe Tours bus to Samana that passed through Sosua and Cabarete has been cancelled. There is a public bus that passes through Cabarete about 7:15 am that will get you to Samana about 10:15. It leaves Samana at 2 pm. You'd get there too late for the morning excursions and leave too soon for the aftrnoon excursions.

jg2000

Jan 20, 2005
Ken said:
Unfortunately the Caribe Tours bus to Samana that passed through Sosua and Cabarete has been cancelled. There is a public bus that passes through Cabarete about 7:15 am that will get you to Samana about 10:15. It leaves Samana at 2 pm. You'd get there too late for the morning excursions and leave too soon for the aftrnoon excursions.

Thanks for the info,
Can I ask where in Cabarete I could pick up the public bus to Samana ? Do the bus run everyday including the weekends? What is the bus fare to Samana?

Also since I would like to see the whales, can you recommend an inexpensive place to stay in Samana.

Thanks again, in advance

Jim

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Stand along the highway. Bus should pass through around 7:15 am or so. It is a partly maroon bus. Has a sign that says Puerto Plata - Samana. Not sure what the price is now.

Kim Beddall is the best person to see the whales with. Check with her on a recommendation as to where to stay.

http://www.whalesamana.com/

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
jg2000 said:
Thanks for the info,
Can I ask where in Cabarete I could pick up the public bus to Samana ? Do the bus run everyday including the weekends? What is the bus fare to Samana?

Also since I would like to see the whales, can you recommend an inexpensive place to stay in Samana.

Thanks again, in advance

Jim

I can recommend the Hotel Bahia View. Last fall I paid RD700 for a room with 2 beds and a balcony with a great view of the bay. No TV, AC, pool or phone, but clean, w/ceiling fan and ocean breeze.

Another fairly reasonable option is the Tropical Lodge. It's a bit more and IMHO the rooms are not as nice, but it has a nice pool and gardens.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
sweetdbt said:
I can recommend the Hotel Bahia View. Last fall I paid RD700 for a room with 2 beds and a balcony with a great view of the bay. No TV, AC, pool or phone, but clean, w/ceiling fan and ocean breeze.

I know the hotel and it looks ok from outside, but have never been in it. Is it quiet at night? I ask because it is in a area with a lot of traffic, especially motorcycles.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Ken said:
I know the hotel and it looks ok from outside, but have never been in it. Is it quiet at night? I ask because it is in a area with a lot of traffic, especially motorcycles.

My room was in the front, and I did experience some noise from the conchos with the balcony door open to let in the breeze. Not too bad though IMHO. I expect the rooms toward the back would be quieter, and I think even less $, but the view was worth a few more pesos and a little noise to me!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
sweetdbt said:
My room was in the front, and I did experience some noise from the conchos with the balcony door open to let in the breeze. Not too bad though IMHO. I expect the rooms toward the back would be quieter, and I think even less $, but the view was worth a few more pesos and a little noise to me!

Any problem with mosquitos? they can be a problem at times at Tropical Lodge.

Do you have a phone number or email address?

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Ken said:
Any problem with mosquitos? they can be a problem at times at Tropical Lodge.

Do you have a phone number or email address?

Sorry Ken. No contact information. All 3 times I stayed there were in low season. We just showed up and pretty much had the place to ourselves. I remember the mosquitos at Tropical Lodge as well. Didn't seem to be an issue at the Bahia View.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
WebDev said:
If you do a search on google for : hotel bahia view samana, you will find the phone number and the e-mail.

WebDev

Thanks, should have checked google myself.

stan chapman

Nov 28, 2002
Ken said:
Thanks, should have checked google myself.
Hi Ken, we stayed at Bahia View a couple of years ago. Sounds like the same room. It was La Fiesta de Santa Barbara, so the town was jumping. Yes, the concho noise was pretty fierce until around 3 am, but we expected that. No problem with mossies though. Nice, clean, basic but not too basic hotel. Would stay there again. Stan.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
stan chapman said:
Hi Ken, we stayed at Bahia View a couple of years ago. Sounds like the same room. It was La Fiesta de Santa Barbara, so the town was jumping. Yes, the concho noise was pretty fierce until around 3 am, but we expected that. No problem with mossies though. Nice, clean, basic but not too basic hotel. Would stay there again. Stan.

Thanks, Stan. The fiesta would not be typical, so maybe not as bad at a different timeof year. But I'm wondering, do you think the interior rooms would be quieter?

andrea9k

Apr 17, 2004
Ken said:
Thanks, Stan. The fiesta would not be typical, so maybe not as bad at a different timeof year. But I'm wondering, do you think the interior rooms would be quieter?

The only 2 nice rooms in the Bahia View are the rooms in the front side of the hotel. The others are cheaper but horrible and depriment. At least rooms in the left side get the noise coming from Maurice's (excellent food but loud music). Not bad after 2 am and some beers.

Jess

rmary

Oct 4, 2003
They've CANCELLED the carribe tours bus from POP to Samana????????? Well doesn't that just SUCK!!!!!! Can anyone give me any more information about this other bus? The idea of standing out by the side of the road at 7:00 in the morning trying to spot this particular bus sounds a little nerve wracking. Hmmmmm.

Any more info or advice would be great. I am planning on spending a week in Cabarete (19th-26th of February) and then heading to Las Galeras for the next week. I suppose I COULD go the taxi route but that gets awfully pricey, especially for just one person.

Rose

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Rose, the bus passes Sosua about 7 am and goes through Cabarete shortly thereafter. It is basically maroon in color and is one of those small busses, not big like Caribe Tours and Metro use. The bus arrives in Samana about 10:15. There is a Puerto Plata-Samana sign on the front of the bus.

It leaves Samana at 2 pm. It loads by the central park until about 1:45, then goes down and parks across the street from the farmers' market. It leaves there at 2 pm for the return trip. You will get back to Cabarete about 5:15 pm.

I agree that the cancellation of the Caribe Tour bus "sucks".

zelda

Aug 15, 2004
So are you saying there are no other tour buses that take you out for just the day to catch a Bedall boat? One would have to stay overnight in Samana?

zelda

Status
Not open for further replies.