Experiences with Hotwire or Priceline

dale7

Apr 18, 2002
www.stores.ebay.com
I have always flown AA to the DR. I am curious about the websites mentioned and have checked them out. I travel from Detroit and best price for September is 553.80US on AA site. I checked out Hotwire.com and was quoted a price for 485US includes all taxes and will be eticket but won't know carrier until bought. 0-1connections and no red-eye flights was for this price, for all I know it could very likely be AA.

I also am curious about Priceline (where you bid on a ticket and see if a carrier accepts) and people's experiences about these sites. Interested to hear what ya'll think. Thanks.
dale7(Howard)

dale7

Apr 18, 2002
www.stores.ebay.com
escott

I put in information for the fewest connections and the same day flights so it limits my choices but by early August I will have to purchase a ticket. Optimal travel date I am considering is Sept 9-16/17. I don't mind waiting a few hours in an airport but I hope these sites wouldn't screw me into next day flight connection, that is why I am asking.

I was wondering about people's experiences with these two sites. If I can get savings for 100US or more, whether by Priceline where I bid, or by Hotwire, I will give it a try. I am on a strict budget nowadays. I am just curious about other's experiences.

Last edited:

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
I did priceline once to Europe. I said stops are ok looking for cheap fare. Who woulda thought that they would have stopped in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean from NY? Well had a layover in Iceland. Freaked me out. Cheap but what a pain after a flight like that.

aviastar

Bronze
Jan 12, 2003
www.www.www
Escott, Icelan Air offers lowest prices between USA and some point in Europe. Also if you fly from NYC to LON for example, they can give you a ticket via Zurich or any other city in Europe. They construct connection by the lowest available fare quotations at the moment.

aviastar

Bronze
Jan 12, 2003
www.www.www
dale7, you have to wait a bit, soon Air Santo Domingo and Queen Air's fares will be published, so it'll be cheaper to buy directly from them.

tondra

Dec 12, 2002
www.professionalsintouch.com
I have been regularly checking flights to POP from Detroit for about the same time period. The cheaper price you quote in the 400's probably includes an overnight in New Jersey. That didn't appeal to me as was said earlier, the hotel for the night blows any savings you may get. In fact, it would probably be more expensive as you now have to factor in meals. Let me know if you have any success. I was hoping to go in August or September.

Tondra

dale7

Apr 18, 2002
www.stores.ebay.com
Thanks for all your replies,
I think I will keep looking and in a couple of months prices should go down for September. I might as well keep gaining my AA miles because two more flights and I have a flight award. I don't want to experience any long layovers and honestly 50-100US is nothing compared layovers and anxiety, lol.

Aviastar,
I have a question for you, Queen's Air and Air Santo Domingo probably wouldn't have a hub in Detroit or in Michigan would they? I like Air Santo Domingo prices that was posted in another thread and just curious because I know nothing about any airlines except AA.

Tondra,
AI is definitely not for me, I fly solo and I have to spend time with my son and fiancee and have no need for a hotel except I will spend probably two nights alone with Yesenia at a nice hotel around Puerto Plata or Sosua and I don't like the single supplement for AI packages anyways, and if I remember correctly you have mentioned you are from Michigan as well, Michigan in the house, lol. I will keep you informed on any good airfare deals I run into and same for you.
dale7(Howard)

Last edited:

RandyE

Feb 4, 2002
Don't assume anything with Hotwire. For our Jan trip I flew direct out of EWR- was in POP by 1:00. MY sister waited a few weeks and found a flight leaving EWR on Hotwire for same dates for $30 less- must be same flight ! After buying ticket found out it was a different flight with a 4 to 6 hr layover in San Juan. Called and tried to cancel but TS. Called credit card to cancel but TS. READ THEIR CONTRACT. Once you click "buy" you have bought. A day lost sitting in airports is not worth the 20 or 30 bucks saved.

tondra

Dec 12, 2002
www.professionalsintouch.com
Thanks, Howard!

Yep, I am from Michigan also. Definitely---if you find any good deals out of Detroit for August thru October, let me know and I will do the same for you. I will try to keep in mind that you wish to only fly AA.

I agree with you about the AI's. I can't wait for my first experience off the complex.

Good luck,

Tondra

rimshot

May 26, 2003
I have made six trips from Michigan to the DR in the last two years. Only once did I use priceline and it was ok. I went DTW to SDQ leaving Thursday returning the following Monday and it was about $430 including all taxes and fees. I flew AA and only had one connection in MIA each way, and there were no long layovers. The worst part about it was that I had an early flight out of DTW (before 7:00AM) and a late arrival back into DTW (around 10:30PM). I only did it that way because it was a quick trip and I didn't have enough advanced notice to get a good fare any other way. If you have plenty of time before you're going to leave, you're best off watching the other websites for good prices. Also, if you're going anywhere but SDQ you might not be as lucky as I was.

You may want to check Continental or US Airways. Their fares may be about the same as AA, but it's worth a shot. Last I checked, US Airways could get me there in the same day without a problem but the flight out of SDQ got into PHL too late to make the connection to get to DTW the same day.

Airport codes: (in case you didn't recognize any of them)

DTW Detroit, MI
MIA Miami, FL
PHL Philadelphia, PA
SDQ Santo Domingo, DO

dale7

Apr 18, 2002
www.stores.ebay.com
rimshot

My flights to the DR from DTW are of my choosing(leave before 7am on departure so that I go to Miami and am at SDQ around 2pm) I depart SDQ around 3pm and am back in DTW around 10pm. The flight you received was my normal flying route that I always choose out of all the other options. I will keep my eyes peeled though but I would rather fly AA and earn miles if the other airlines are around similar prices, and US airways and the others are always around the same price but usually AA webfares are a little cheaper.
dale7(Howard)

rimshot

May 26, 2003
I've flown that itinerary a few times before. It's not too bad. I had to leave Grand Rapids at 2:30AM to get there and didn't get home until 1:00AM on the return, but if you're closer to Detroit it's alot better. The best I've ever seen on that itinerary was $475.

dale7

Apr 18, 2002
www.stores.ebay.com
rimshot

I would love to fly out of GRR, but the prices are always about 150US more so I drive two hours to go to Detroit. I live about 40 minutes from GR so maybe one day I will be lucky and find a cheap flight from there.
dale7(howard)

GRS

Jan 2, 2002
Priceline

I have only used Priceline for Hotels. I'm going to Seattle next week and the hotel prices were through the roof. Used Priceline and I got $31 a night on a 3 Star hotel. The hotel itself was quoting over $90 at night. I don't use it for airline tickets since I usually find a fare that give you the miles, the upgrades and the schedule that you want for only a couple bucks more than what priceline or hotwire could give.