Entrance into DR

hyouskauskas

May 28, 2003
Our family will be traveling to the DR in mid July 2003 and we would like to know if certified copies of birth certificates are okay to enter the country? I do have my son from my previous marriage with me; however, I have primary care of him. His last name is different than mine but I do still take his last name as my middle name and that is reflected on my Maryland state driver's license.

Will we need any additional documents when traveling?

Thank you.

maryanne

Mar 16, 2003
I would strongly recommend a passport for everyone (passports are probably necessary). I have joint custody of my daughter and I always travel with a notorized letter signed by her father, giving me permission to travel with my daughter. I am always asked for that paper at the airport and I would strongly advise that you get one. In my past experiences, every time I travel with my daughter either to the US, or through the US enroute to POP, I always spend a longer time at Customs. They review my notorized letter very carefully and they ask my daughter questions directly (she's 9 years old). And my daughter and I have the same last name, so I can only imagine that your situation may raise even more eyebrows.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Grey Area

This thread should be in the legal forum for Fabio Guzman to review. I believe there is a grey area here and may require additional documents such as a consent form to travel outside the U.S. from the child's father and/or copy of custody order. Fabio should be able to assist you. Regards, PJT

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
The local authorities main concern is for the child as there have been cases of abducted children. If the child is under 13 you will need to prove you are his mother. The father's authorization is not necessary. If the child is more than 13, the requirements for him are similar to those for you -- original birth certificate (with raised seal) and photo ID. In these days of enhanced US security measures, it is definitely worth the bother of getting a passport for yourself and those traveling under your care.
You should double check with the carrier you will be using to travel to the Dominican Republic.

Also see http://dr1.com/travel/prepare/documentation.shtml