Entrance into DR

hyouskauskas

May 28, 2003
I posted this question on the General site and someone mentioned I should put it here on Legal for specifics.

Our family (2 adults, 2 children) is coming to Punta Cana in mid July and I wanted to know if we need anything other than certified copies of our birth certificates for entrance into DR? My son is from a previous marriage and has a different last name than I do as I have married again. I do have primary care of him and he lives with me full-time. I also kept my previous married name as my middle and that is reflected on my license; however, I have heard that I may need a "letter of authorization" from his father giving me permission to take him to the DR.

Could you please tell me exactly what I need as far as legal documents in order to enter into DR as we do not want to be tied up at customs or anywhere else as we have an 11 month old as well.

Thank you!

calalo33

May 25, 2003
entrance

where exactly r u from?? cos u really shouldnt need any birth certificates all you need is a tourist visa card which you can pick up at thje airport and pay the 10$ ENTRY. show your passports and then your through. where on the island r u going??

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Missing the Point I Think

calalo33 said:
show your passports and then your through.

They only have birth certificates and not passports. If they all had passports then the question would be moot.

In addition to picture ID for all holders, you may ( I assume you are a woman, you did not say) want to bring as a safety net the divorce decree that shows you have custody (naming the child I hope) and also something , even an old passport, some papers that show your married name before (e.g. that would jive with Kid #1's last name now/still).

They may not ask for much other than your stuff anyway as a man/woman couple you would look less suspicious I think than a man with a small child in tow.

A letter from the first Dad would have to be in Spanish and ideally certified by the Dominican Conulsate where you live if there is one. In English it won't be much help.

maryanne

Mar 16, 2003
I have always used a notorized letter from a Canadian lawyer, in English. I've never had it in Spanish. 5 trips with my daughter and no one in the DR has ever looked at it. If I travel thru the US to POP, US customs wants it. When travelling direct from Canada via a chartered airline, the agent at the check-in looks at it. Twice, I was asked for it when I returned home to Canada, at Canada customs.

Me 2 cents.

calalo33

May 25, 2003
take a break

ok sorry
i misread what she wrote but she didnt acctually state weather she was just coming for a holiday or staying for good so give me a break