Motorcycle - Ship or no?

B

Bill MacDonald

I am trying to find out if it would make sense to ship a motorcycle or buy one once there! Does any one know the cost of shipping it? How about house hold items like tv, computer, furnature shipping costs? Any help is always appreciated!

P

Paul Woodward

I have the same questions about shipping a car.

DR1: Any advice? I know this isn't a regular "tourist" problem, but it would seem to be a very important topic for those of us who are planning to move to the D.R.

1. RORO (Roll On Roll Off) transportation of vehicles? 2. Import duties on vehicles? 3. Import duties on household goods? 4. Customs proceedures in D.R.? 5. Application paperwork needed before shipments arrive? 6. Which D.R. gov't offices oversee customs? 7. How to avoid getting overcharged for duties? 8. Can duties be asertained in the U.S. before shipment leaves port?

These subjects (and others) need to be understood well before the actual shipping date is at hand, yet answers are proving to be very difficult to come by.

Thanx!

Paul

D

DR One

Contact the Dominican Consulate in NY. They have a customs department that can help you have a better idea on what you will pay. You may even be able to clear customs by using that service prior to arrival. Also, search the message board, using key words such as "car", "import", "customs", "auto" for previous answers to similar questions. Finally, the Living in Santo Domingo book will be most helpful if you are seriousl considering relocating to the DR.