Have you ever been to paradise?

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Mr. Pib and I recently went on a trip around the northern coast and Saman?. I had plans of writing a trip report, as it is I have much to say and am too lazy to type that much, so I will make it short and just add some pictures and some comments.

CLICK ON THE PICTURE FOR A LARGER VIEW

Street of Cabarete
We have been to Cabarete many times, the last in the summer of 1999, and we notice it's changed, gladly for the better. The town is cleaner, the beach is clean and well-maintaned. The vendors wear uniforms and are polite and nice. The town as a whole, and specially the beach has a better ambiance than 3 yrs. ago. The restaurants have adopted the architecture and materials that better reflect the feeling of "surfer's town" that they want to portray. We will definitely be back.

Playa Dorada Golf Course
I really don't have much to say about this. I will let the golfers work it out :)

Samana
Looks pretty much the same as last time I visited. Only cleaner, and deserted in the midst of the low tourist season.

Last edited:

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com

View of Todo Blanco A 8-room wooden hotel on the beach of Las Galeras and one of the most beautiful ones I've stayed in. Spotless and full of atmosphere.

End of Las Galeras beach Beautiful and quiet. We received a lesson about tropical fish from two old fishermen.

Playa Rinc?n You will seldomly find a more beautiful place. Green, lush, solitary, breathtaking. And to top it we had one of the most delicious meals we've ever had: Pescado con Coco prepared by Cecilia, the ingredients were very fresh, the beer cold and the food... well, go there and ask for Cecilia and buy some coconut bread from Franca. You'll love it, take my word for it.

View of Samana Bay from the mountains We drove to Las Terrenas for lunch, after staying in Las Galeras and having been in Playa Rinc?n only this view was worth the long trip.

Thanks to Chriss, Marco, Andy B, Grahame and STMBO (delightful hosts), Noelle (from Sophie's B&B, best breakfast in POP) and Hillbilly for making our trip all the more enjoyable.

Last edited:

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
Nicole and I have been waiting for your trip report and we would just like to add that we enjoyed the short time you and Bo spent visiting with us and that you come back soon. It's always fun meeting fellow DR1ers and connecting real people with their 'net selves!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Great trip report

Glad things went so well for you and Sailor Man (I like that better than Mr. Pib)

I do hope to travel some of your route later this summer, if the money gods are smiling...

HB

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Hillbilly, the money gods are beginning to smile. In Cabarete, next to our house, we have a small 1-bedroom cottage that is not occupied. It is now booked for you and the Mrs. Nice bed, hot water, few chairs to relax on, a pool and a shared kitchen. (You have the share the kitchen with the rest of our household!)

maryanne

Mar 16, 2003
Thanks for posting your photos. I've done the same route and those images are still in my mind. The DR is beautiful and I hope more people are inspired to venture out and explore it.

Thanks,
Maryanne

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I was wondering how it went for Christina B and her family who were planning a trip to these same places in May.

Thanks for the photos, Pib!

All happiness to you and the Mr.

Chiri