Sammy And His Corked Bat

Status
Not open for further replies.

arenas809

May 22, 2002
Why he needs to cork his bat is beyond me, and you know what the question is, how long has he been using one? If this bat hadn't broken, how long would he have gone on using it?

KenoshaChris

Jan 4, 2002
When you get off the steroids, you have to do something else. this coming from the biggest Cubs fan on this board. If he was coarking his bat, I should be entitled to beat him with it. How much does he make?

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
pathetic

I just saw his News Conference!

He claims he used the wrong bat and it wasn't his! He can't even be man enough to admit he cheats.
I hope MLB comes down hard on his ass. The worst part will be all of his apologists in the DR and US who will defend him.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
What do you expect from a Dominican "Shoeshine Boy" from San Pedro???

Brought up in a "Culture?",where lying is the way of life! Like EVERY Dominican I have EVER caught in a lie,they ALWAYS have a great "story" why it wasn't their fault!!! Take away all his, now in question,records! And any other "Cheater" as well! Why are we not surprised by this? Cris Colon

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
I hope this eliminates any possible Hall of Fame consideration

It would be a shame to allow this numbnut into the Hall of Fame now. Insulting to the others who've earned it.

Just when you think stupidity has it's limits.

I thought the dark cloud over Santo Domingo today was just the weather. Turns out it's just me agreeing with TonyC, what next?

Interesting how in the paper today (el caribe anyway) the Sosa incident was equivalent to back page news. No picture of him either. Just the umpire holding the bat. Sure it's a small point, but one that underscores the apologist attitude.

He was 1-4 with a double the other day and there is a whole story dedicated to it with the largest picture on the page of him and his bulging biceps.

He gets caught being the cheater he is, and it's almost already under the rug.

The little blurbs on the front page of the Sports section detailing what's inside was about other players getting a double, or a victory and cockfighting, nothing about this incident.

Petaka

Nov 8, 2002
That's an insult to all shoeshine boys

This is one of the guys I thought was getting rich honestly. Roll model? Of course!

I guess that Baninter guy is no shoeshine boy, ah?. He's in the upper crust of the society, what we used to call: en la ceresita. What a bunch of worthless twits.
Go ahead, call me jealous.

Last edited:

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Re: That's an insult to all shoeshine boys

Petaka said:
This is one of the guys I thought was getting rich honestly. Roll model? Of course!

I guess that Baninter guy is no shoeshine boy, ah?. He's in the upper crust of the society, what we used to call: en la ceresita. What a bunch of worthless twits.
Go ahead, call me jealous.

Sammy is not, never was and never will be a member of the "Upper Crust"!

Honestly??? I guess you never heard about his "Charitable" fondation!!!

ERICKXSON

Bronze
Dec 24, 2002
www.creambay.com
can you guys give him the benefit of the doubt why jump the gun so quick, do you guys know something i don't? look guys i've never encountered Dominican liaying like you portrait but if they are like that in the D.R. you better advise me since i'm doing business downthere.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
The "Benefit of WHAT DOUBT?"

He lies about his steroid use,and the cork was in his BAT for Christ's sake!CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
How many drug trafficers say that the drugs in their car belongs to them?"Somebody must have put them there!!""Its not MY BAT!!"Bullshit Sammy!!!!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
A friend saw his interview on ESPN this morning where he admitted using a corked bat and indicating his hope that the fans would forgive him.

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Ken said:
A friend saw his interview on ESPN this morning where he admitted using a corked bat and indicating his hope that the fans would forgive him.

He claims it was a bat he uses in batting practice to give the fans a show!!!! He said that he picked it up and used it in the game as a mistake!

What a Crock of Sh*T!!!!

There is no way that any pro ballplayer can pick up a bat and not Immediatly tell the difference.

I see the apologists are already comming out of their holes!!!!!

DO not defend him because he is Dominican. Hold him up as an example to the kids! You see what happens when you cheat?

BTW just being in possesion of a illeagal bat at all ball game is grounds for ejection and suspension.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Lame excuses

Tony C said:
There is no way that any pro ballplayer can pick up a bat and not Immediatly tell the difference.

I can agree with Tony, there is no way a ballplayer can confuse a bat. Anyone who has kicked up the dust in a sandlot knows you can differentiate a bat, just by its look, weight, and feel. Sammy excuses and mia culpa?s are lame. It is just as lame for Dusty Baker to say "Deep down in my heart, I truly believe Sammy didn't know that was in there,".

There is no excuse. Before this episode Sammy had stolen our hearts, now he has stolen our faith in him. Regards, PJT

rubio

Apr 28, 2003
www.geocities.com
This truly saddens me. While I am not a fan of Sammy Sosa, or baseball for that matter, I hate to see negative news on Latinos. Sammy already has many fans, I don't see why he would want to do such a thing. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. Innocent until proven guilty, always.

Let's see what becomes of this. The worst that can happen is he is publically humiliated. If anything else.

Rubio

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
rubio said:
I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. Innocent until proven guilty, always.

Let's put it this way, if some smart visual media technicion were to make a montage of Sammy's previous games at bat, I would hazard to say you might see the same bat in hand. Regards, PJT

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
I don't know if that's the worst that will happen to him. He makes about 10-15 million a year so imagine what would happen if his image suffers, which is already happening. Then the fans stop buying things that he promotes. The guy still makes money off of those Pepsi commercials and all that other stuff that he was doing promotions for. It means he won't have that steady cash flow like used to, so in my opinion he's gonna lose money and it always hurts when they hit you in your wallet. I don't wanna hear anything bad about Latin people that are doing big things in the US or elsewhere but there are alotta people who can't stand to see other people succeed in anything and besides, why hide the truth? Specially convenient for other folks who wanna make tons of money off other people's misfortune and it's been happening since the beginning of time, why stop now:angry:

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
sosa is innocent.

Ok, I have seen the slow motion of bat breaking. It so seems that the cork didn't really come from sammy's bat. You see there was a fan in the background celebrating his birthday and opened up a champagne bottle at the same time he swung. Thus the cork came out flying and actually made it seem like it came from the bat. Everyone was concentrating on the bat and no one saw the drunk guy in the back with a bottle of champagne. See how easily these guys discredit the big star, especially when he is riding high? Shame on you TonyC and the rest.

Last edited:

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Sammy is never been THE role model for Dominican kids. I've never been his greatest fan, BUT we all know they ALL use some way to 'enhance' their abilities. They're all on steroids (Barry Bonds, Mcguire, Palmeiro, etc...) I'm not trying to justify his action, but let's not say "It's the dominican way, to lie, cheat, etc..." That's BS. They all do it...Dominicans, Cubans, Puerto Ricans, and YES even those holier than thou americans.

Status
Not open for further replies.