Canadian Dominican marriage advise

norman

Apr 10, 2003
www.muskokaweddings.com
I am a Canadian man who maried a wonderful dominican woman. I am hoping that readers can give advise relevant to us. Are their any special cultural differences that I should know about Dominican Women, Thanks for your help. Norm

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
Let the swinging begin.......

First off, welcome to the site. Second, get ready for people's replies which are gonna hurt your feelings. I have a question: if you are married to such a wonderful woman, why would you come on a message board and ask questions about your marriage? I mean, you did ask about any cultural differences you should be aware of but it seems to me like you didn't take your time to get to know this "wonderful" woman. I rarely post about these things but your question kinda strikes me as odd :confused: another question: did you meet her in Canada? I think it would clear things up a bit. Hopefully it isn't some sort of scheme that she's running just to leave the DR but if it is, then consider this your first warning. Good luck to you and hope you get the answers you need.

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
norman said:
Are their any special cultural differences that I should know about Dominican Women, Thanks for your help. Norm

This is the kind of question you better ask before you get married.

Anyway: Good luck!

norman

Apr 10, 2003
www.muskokaweddings.com
Re: Let the swinging begin.......

Now that you had your fun , it's a basic question. We met we dated we married. I never dated Dominican woman before only Canadian women. I think people are individuals and unique where ever they are from , but still I wonder if there is any tips or advise because relevant to the subject. Bye the way I don't think you have to know someone for 5 years before y decide to get married. I know lots who have lived together for years , got married , then seperated in a year.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
norman, a few of the regular posters are happily married to Dominican women. Hopefully they will be responding to your question.

It would be helpful, however, if you indicated whether you are living in Canada, the Dominican Republic, or some other country, and-assuming not in the DR--how long your wife lived outside of the Dominican Republic before the marriage. Additionally, it could be important to know whether all of her family lives in the DR, or whether she has family living relatively near where she lives now. Family ties are more important to Dominicans than to most other nationalities, which is why it would be helpful to know how much separation there is between your wife and her parents.

Forbeca

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
Re: Let the swinging begin.......

Jon S. said:
I rarely post about these things .

The way I see it, you should have kept it that way. You're just confusing the issue even more and were not helpful at all.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
While this question would have been better answered BEFORE the marriage,

it certainly should help the marriage to be aware of the great cultural differences.
As Ken has stated Dominicans are VERY close knit families and a large distance separation will often lead to mood swings and depression on the part of the individual who is separated from their family. Frequent phone calls (be ready for the expense!!) will help alleviate this as will frequent visits home.
Dominicans also tend to "live for today" with little thought for tomorrow so financial considerations can leave much to be desired as a "penny" usually will burn a hole in a pocket until it is spent!
Also Dominicans are generous to a fault so if a family member or friend is in "need" whatever is "needed" will be supplied if possible - just keep in mind that whatever is "loaned or borrowed" is NEVER paid back. Consider it a gift and be prepared to give lots of them!
Many Dominicans also see a romp in the hay as nothing more than a pleasurable experience much like dining out or going to a good theatre show and love does not enter into the equation. Consider such the same as going to the gym for a workout and I'm sure you'll have no problems.
Good Luck! There are many successful relationships and inter-cultural marriages.

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
Re: Re: Let the swinging begin.......

Forbeca said:
The way I see it, you should have kept it that way. You're just confusing the issue even more and were not helpful at all.

That's why I asked him if he met her in Canada. I'm pretty blunt with people so if my way of questioning him seems hard, I don't care. I don't post about these things because I'm not married or in a relationship with a Dominican woman. Besides, I was honest in regards to what I asked him. He's married to a "wonderful" Dominican woman but he didn't say if they both live in Canada, if they met up there, basically anything relevant to the topic that could help clear things up a bit. If you've been reading the posts for a while, patterns start to emerge and people always come up with the same questions month after month. If anyone was gonna ask him something, might as well would've been me.

Norman, once again I hope you find the answers you seek. The headline for my first post was made in jest and I meant that when the regular posters start posting on a subject, they're pretty blunt and they come out swinging, therefore the subject line.........

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
norman said:
I am a Canadian man who maried a wonderful dominican woman. I am hoping that readers can give advise relevant to us. Are their any special cultural differences that I should know about Dominican Women, Thanks for your help. Norm

Then enjoy sex more than American women! LOL

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
My wife has been here in Canada(Vancouver island) for 3 years and besides the cold weather, lack of Dominican foods, and different attitude about just about everything she is enjoying Canada very much. As far as the family thing, not knowing anything about your wifes family, mine phones home about 2 times per month but also can e-mail her brother any time for quick answers. Cultural shock lasts about 6-8 months, and after you have rode those waves everything else is reasonable. Wife has developed a network of fellow latinas for talking in Spanish( Mexican, salvadorian, Hoduran, Spanish..etc) I think this is very important, so that they don't feel isolated. These cultures are more common to them and with some of these people having been in Canada for years they can help smooth the transition. As far as personal relationship, it is as you said, each person is unique and special and you should treat her that way. Communication and always go to sleep sexually satified. Where in Canada are you?
Bob in the Comox Valley, BC

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Welcome to DR1 Norman. How far North do you live? You should bring your wife to the DR1 reunion on the 27th of this month in Toronto.

Again Welcome