Santiago-Sosua Trip May 24 - June 1

NewtoDR

Nov 23, 2002
Just returned from my 3rd trip to the DR, I left New York on Saturday AM and arrived at Santiago at about 3:30. I had a reservation at Aloha Sol so I hopped into a cab and off I went to Downtown Santiago (10US for the Taxi ? I think I got ripped off but there were only two cabs and the drivers were in cahoots). The hotel was great, right in the middle of an area where shopping, caf?s, clubs and restaurants are all within walking distance. About 35US a night with breakfast included. (Good food and accommodations).

I strolled around Calle Del Sol for several hours people (girl) watching as there were throngs of beautiful women on the streets. I would stop every so often for an ice cold presidente at one of the many cafes. At dusk after a quick shower I header up to the monument, an area that contains many open cafes and restaurants.

Sunday after brunch I took a cab (60 RD) to Los Aromas for golf. Good course, short (only 6000 from the Tips), but a tricky Pete Dye Design. Many blind tee shots and the winds play havoc. I won?t mention what I shot. (I think it was only 500RD for Green Fees). That night I went back up to the monument and ate a good meal at a steakhouse ? Great dinner.

Monday ? I got up early and had a reservation at Avis for 800RD per day. Avis picked me up with the car. I was next on my way to Sosua via the Scenic Route. Nice drive but if you take a second to look at the scenery you could die. (Felt a bit sea sick after the drive). After about 1.25 hours I was pulling into Eddy?s Sports Bar to pick up my keys for a place at Condo?s Domincana FYI ? Driving in the DR is no worse than driving in NY. There was a game on so I stayed for while.

Eddy?s condos are a good value for the money, 35US a night (I was upgraded to a 2 bedroom), daily maid service and right in the middle of Sosua but on a back street so there is not much street noise. My only complaint is the Roosters crowing at dawn.

Monday ? Saturday ? To make a long story short, Beach, presidente?s, Golf, food and future wives.

Best Beach ? In front of Hotel Marina Reef.

Best Bar?s ? Eddy?s for sports or hanging (Great waitresses ? Eddy tell Bianca I?m in love), Rocky?s, good food and a lot of expats like Eddy?s to chat with (don?t expect to watch any games on TV right now), A New place next door to the Britannia, JJ?s ? British Pub, Saturday night is Curry night for all you curry Lovers. I also like the Taina Beach Bar across from Sosua by the Sea for late night refreshment.

Best Restaurants ? By far the D?sseldorf, Caf? Miami for breakfast, Rocky?s and a little Dominican place down the street from Eddy?s (Great Dominican food but they close at 3:00 PM), also the Pizza place down the street from Eddy?s.

Best Golf ? Playa Grande, it is well worth the money (67US) and the drive, but bring a lot of golf balls. The course is well bunkered and Long with severe winds. Playa Dorado is also good, play in the AM to avoid the breezes and the heat but you have to take a cart if you play prior to 1:00 PM (27US/40US with Cart). I just had the caddy drive it the 1 day I got up early.

Best Wives ? Find out for yourself.

If anyone does the Santiago commute, leave a little extra time to find the airport. It was a bitch, as I only speak English and could not understand the directions. Thank God for a cabby who I asked directions, He didn?t understand what I said so I just pulled away, about 2 minutes later he was beside me with his passenger yelling the directions to me out the back window.

I can?t wait to get back.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Sort of pi$$ed you didn't call

We could have golfed and you could have seen a bit more of this place

HB

sliverghost

May 22, 2003
Looking forward to our golf

Hello HB,

I am looking forward to our golf outings. I did contact Bushbaby and he is going to set it up. He mentioned something about drinks being on you? Is this an inside joke? I'll pick up the drinks at the warm up at playa dorado.

You guys need anything from the states?

I want to visit Santiago, I hear the women there are absolutely stunning. What do you think? Feel like carousing?

Oh yes, should I bring my clubs? Or are the rental clubs sufficient? Will I be comfortable with them. I don't want to lug my clubs all over the place and be paranoid about them disappearing.
Any insight would be helpful.

Do you know any driver/guides I could hire for the day?

Thanks again!
SG, GG & CG :bunny: ;) :bunny:

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Hi Chris (sliverghost),

Greetings from Atlantic Canada.

The driver I recommend is Martin Espinal. He is an excellent driver in a country of madmen. He has a clean, air-conditioned minivan in good condition and he speaks excellent English. It will hold five easily and comfortably. Martin is very personable and knowledgeable and is extremely reliable in a country where many people run on "Dominican Time". You can read more at http://www.debbiesdominicantravel.com/martin.html

Please e-mail him ESPINAL30@MSN.COM , (if you are interested in hiring him) detail what you expect from him and he will get back with a price. Hillbilly has met him as he was our driver in April when HB was our gracious host for a wonderful cigar factorty tour. Thanks again HB!

I can give you more info if you would like to e-mail me and there are many reviews of the Coral Marien at http://www.debbiesdominicantravel.com/coralmarien.html

Have a great trip.

Gregg

Last edited:

NewtoDR

Nov 23, 2002
Sort of pi$$ed you didn't call

We could have golfed and you could have seen a bit more of this place

HB

Next time !!! - Thanks for the offer.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I'm going to hold you to that, hear??

Your report was very good. Thanks for the good things you said about Santiago. Next time....

HB

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Glad you enjoyed your stay. I promise to take care of the roosters. See you next vacation.

jlcalbre

Feb 27, 2003
Driver

I second the recommendation of Martin Espinal. We went on a trip with him last week and it was a great way to start the week. He is very nice, knows all the local sights and will go anywhere you want.