December travel

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
This wasn't a problem before, but last time I went to DR was Dec 2001 and my dad booked the flight last time and now this is my first time booking a flight to DR. I need help on where I should look for a cheap flight out of Miami two weeks before New Years.......I called AA and they said that the price is in the $300s area and it stays the same but the flights might be booked fully by then. When is the best time to book the flight since right now isn't the best time for me? Any advice regarding other airlines is welcome too.....Thanks

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
If you can book for Christmas season for $300

Find the money. Availibility is one factor but keep in mind as it gets more sold out they will raise the prices for existing inventory as it is a pure supply and demand game. You wait until October then you may not find a seat or you may pay $600.

I can fly Toronto to SDQ via MIA this September for $800 CDN, or $600 US. Last Christmas this same route was $2,100 CDN.

They will charge whatever they can get passengers to pay. So borrow the $300 and buy it if the price worries you.

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
Money isn't the problem right now, I could pay for the trip whenever I feel like it, it's more of a scheduling conflict for the time being.........I'm still gonna call and book it but I want some "empirical" data, if you will. What I meant about last time was that my dad booked way earlier during that year and got a good price for the trip but this is my first time booking solo, so I have to show concern for myself:confused: cuz it's my money now........Thanks for the info Rick. Feel free to post, folks

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
Rollovers

You may not know but if a lower fare with the same conditions occurs alter then you can call AA and they will refund the difference in a travel voucher good for a year. Not that <$300 is too likely in the future but if you fly AA enough it is like free insurance.

I have no idea of what you meant by wanting "empirical data" , if you will, too.

If you think you are overpaying at $300 you are not likely to get lower but at least you can get a refund of sorts.

You could wait 'til November then you'd see for sure you waited too long.

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
Oh no, I'm not waiting more than 2 weeks from now before I book it. I don't think I am overpaying but it was around $360 dollars and some people on the site mention 290 and 300 and so on and so forth.........it would be something if I could spend the savings on something fun in the DR, like going to the Dume colmado by Lincoln Ave and get me a beer or two or 20, who knows:p :knockedou

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
Act in Leisure.....

Jon S. said:
Oh no, I'm not waiting more than 2 weeks from now before I book it. I don't think I am overpaying but it was around $360 dollars and some people on the site mention 290 and 300 and so on and so forth.........it would be something if I could spend the savings on something fun in the DR, like going to the Dume colmado by Lincoln Ave and get me a beer or two or 20, who knows:p :knockedou

Repent in haste I guess.

You can always try to trust Aeromar 7 months in advance if less expensive. Or wait for this Lan Chile subsidiary to exist etc, and have a bookable schedule, or you can fly on the world's biggest airline.