Trip report

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
I just returned from a wonderful 5 day trip. Instead of delivering the common monotonic Day 1, Day 2 ect. report or relaying specifics that some might not want to hear, I am going to give a dilutive version.
During the 5 days I had the pleasure of visiting Sosua, Cabarete, Puerto Plata, Santiago and Jarabacoa. Although the country is mired in a tough economic period resulting in a diminished nightlife its beautiful aesthetics naturally remain. Driving through Cabarete without stopping to experience its enormous beautiful beach would be a sin. Ditto for Sosua and its lively beach. A walk along the Malecon in Puerto Plata is a relaxing opportunity for introspective reflection. Gazing out into the ocean i recieved an eerie sense of its timelessness and power. Driving over the mountain from puerto plata to santiago is a beautiful scenic treat of rolling high mountains and deep green valleys. I picked a few spots along the hour long adventure to stop and film some of the scenery with my camcorder. Jarabacoa is equally beautiful. I did not get to see its famous waterfalls but I did get to see some of its rivers and they are incredibly beautiful. I also spent some time in a nice park, which I bvelieve is in the center of Jarabacoas town, watching the beautiful Dominican women walk by. During the drive back down from Jarabacoa to Santiago, as I breathed in the cool tropical night air, I experienced a wonderful feeling of both comfort and bliss that I cant seem to achieve in the USA. With each visit to the DR I become increasingly enamored with it. This trip reconfirmed my intention to land myself permenantly on Dominican soil sooner rather than later.
I want to thank my old friends from DR1 that I got to see and the new ones I was lucky enough to meet. I also want to thank all the beautiful Dominican people i crossed paths with. Thank you for enhancing my vacation and enriching my life.
Larry

Last edited:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Larry, you have more soul than I suspected from your previous posts. Be careful, continue in this vein and you will irreparably damage your image on dr1.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Financial problems??? In this country??? No ever loving way Senor!! Just smile & they go away!!!

It was our pleasure to have you in the country Larry - keep waxing lyrical like that on this board & all our financial problems will go away as the 'Americanos' bring in all those lovely green backs!! Mind you, that means the place will be full of Rich, Fat & Ugly Americans (like the one that just posted above)!!! Hmmmmmm, ....... ?? - Grahame.

johnsr

Bronze
Apr 13, 2002
Mind you, that means the place will be full of Rich, Fat & Ugly Americans

Grahame, Don't know about the "RICH" part, but I guess the rest fits me also!!:cool:
John

P.S. Larry, Nice writing job, enjoyed your T/R!!

Last edited:

NewtoDR

Nov 23, 2002
Larry nice trip report, I recently got back and this time I travelled around a bit. I think its the people more than the sights that make you want to return. PS - I found the Drive from Santiago to Sosua a bit of an adventure also.

Regards,

Barry

andy a

Bronze
Feb 23, 2002
When driving the mountain road ...

between Sosua and Santiago, one should consider stopping to see the marker where the Mirabal sisters, nemeses of Trujillo, were killed.

It's a couple of miles or so down a dirt road near Gurabo. The marker is on the side of the road by a deep ravine. Although foul play was presumed, the official line was that they died in a jeep crash when it plunged over the cliff.

Pavan

Jan 18, 2002
What the hell Larry!!

I come here to read your trip report -obviously with high hopes. Instead I am treated to an ol'e Gran'ma tale.

You are not turning panzy on us my friend ...............are you Larry?

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Ok larry, why don't you give a full report to Jazz and Missing_dr via e mail or PM. I am sure they would like to know the secret to taming their beast within.

Forbeca

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
Larry (ILoveDR) said:
I just returned from a wonderful 5 day trip. Instead of delivering the common monotonic Day 1, Day 2 ect. report or relaying specifics that some might not want to hear, I am going to give a dilutive version.
During the 5 days I had the pleasure of visiting Sosua, Cabarete, Puerto Plata, Santiago and Jarabacoa. Although the country is mired in a tough economic period resulting in a diminished nightlife its beautiful aesthetics naturally remain. Driving through Cabarete without stopping to experience its enormous beautiful beach would be a sin. Ditto for Sosua and its lively beach. A walk along the Malecon in Puerto Plata is a relaxing opportunity for introspective reflection. Gazing out into the ocean i recieved an eerie sense of its timelessness and power. Driving over the mountain from puerto plata to santiago is a beautiful scenic treat of rolling high mountains and deep green valleys. I picked a few spots along the hour long adventure to stop and film some of the scenery with my camcorder. Jarabacoa is equally beautiful. I did not get to see its famous waterfalls but I did get to see some of its rivers and they are incredibly beautiful. I also spent some time in a nice park, which I bvelieve is in the center of Jarabacoas town, watching the beautiful Dominican women walk by. During the drive back down from Jarabacoa to Santiago, as I breathed in the cool tropical night air, I experienced a wonderful feeling of both comfort and bliss that I cant seem to achieve in the USA. With each visit to the DR I become increasingly enamored with it. This trip reconfirmed my intention to land myself permenantly on Dominican soil sooner rather than later.
I want to thank my old friends from DR1 that I got to see and the new ones I was lucky enough to meet. I also want to thank all the beautiful Dominican people i crossed paths with. Thank you for enhancing my vacation and enriching my life.
Larry

Nice to see a different side of you Larry. Glad to hear you had a nice time.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
This trip has made you a new man Larry. Send me details. ;) Glad you had fun .

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
no its me

Still the same old me Anna,Forbeca, Pavan etc... I told you its a dilutive version. Trust me, I did not spend my entire trip gazing out at the Malecon :). I just realize that its better off not to relay specifics on here because there are people that like to jump for that "report post to moderator" button....I suspect that these are the same people that would run to their parents or teacher whenever another child said something that they didnt like. I have never clicked that button and never will....but thats just the way I look at things. Aside from that my post was completely honest and came straight from the heart.
Larry

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Larry's alright by me folks - he bought me TWO orange juices the other day & has promised me pipe tobacco on his next trip down!!! WHAT a gent!!

John, enjoyed your trip down here too but YOU are paying for the next round of drinks. Did you need that hotel report we discussed or maybe the other one?? - Grahame.