Fuel Cell

Pavan

Jan 18, 2002
It will happen in DR when Criss is President

Imagine Yo Yolito coming on national tevelision (if it still exists by the time he is done) saying the following:

" My fellow Dominicans, it is with great pride I now come here to announce that from this moment onwards, ALL vehicles with Fuel Cell technology, which will be imported into this beloved nation of ours will be free of all import duties and the long paperwork required."

" This I believe will be a fitting reply to my Venezuelan counterpart who has chosen to delay the sale of three tankers of oil. To avoid further situations of this nature it is of utmost importance that we must concentrate on vehicles of next generation which will help rebuild out economy, save in precious fuel bills, pollution, etc etc".

" With these few words I now leave the matter of this very important descision in your hands and trust that you will comply with this decision and request I make of you, as your server"

As soon as he makes this speech the next day the newspaper headlines will be:

---Head of Aduana admitted to hospital!!--- Problems with paying for his house in Piantini responsible for stroke! Banks also move in to take possible possesion of Yacht and cars of "unknown" German make. Wife took first plane to New York!

Did I make myself clear buddy??

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Sure.
Ok now every Dominican cough up $75,000US to convert your car to Fuel Cell propulsion.
Oh and wait till we figure out how to distribute Hydrogen. And never mind that Hydrogen is 100% more volitale than gasoline.
Whats next? Solar power for my car. A wind generator for my A/C?
I have test driven a fuel cell vehicle. Slower than Molasses on a winter day and handled like a Chris-Craft in Quicksand.
Don't even get me started on using a Electric car as a daily driver.
Until they think of something better internal combustion is the way to go.

Golo,
are you willing to give up your V8 power for a Electric Tractor?

ERICKXSON

Bronze
Dec 24, 2002
www.creambay.com
Tony have you try the Toyota Prius? it has an electric engine and a gasoline engine you can travel from Miami to georgia on a full tank, the city of Miami is using the hybrid Toyota RV4 (Half gas/half electric) i think those should work for the D.R. people they're pretty good.

P

phileco

How efficient will a fuel cell car be, and how many miles per gallon will it get?

Fuel cell vehicles (FCVs) are achieving energy efficiencies of 40 to 50 percent in current testing and demonstrations; through extensive research and development, these numbers are improving every day. Increased energy efficiency, which holds the promise of reducing dependence on foreign oil and increasing energy security, makes FCVs a very attractive replacement for internal combustion engines (ICEs), which are between 10 to 16 percent efficient.

Exact calculations vary from study to study, but many automotive manufacturers have released data showing that FCVs are much more efficient than comparable ICE vehicles. Toyota has published research showing its conventional gasoline vehicle with a vehicle efficiency of only 16 percent, while its FCVH-4, running on hydrogen, is projected to achieve 48 percent vehicle efficiency - three times more efficient. General Motors (GM) claims that its fuel cell prototypes running on hydrogen have more than twice the efficiency of their conventional gasoline vehicles.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
anything to reduce pollution will be enough , and , Tony C , right now you send more than $75000 in pollution in the air , and that cost also more on health problems . recycling , etc . I also would prefer to drive at 60mph knowing that I don't pollute than ant 100 with all I put in the air.

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
If you've ever had to rely on an "infernal combustion" engine powering your hotel's generator and crapping out when your hotel is full, you'll appreciate the new fuel cell technology (with no moving parts to fail) generating electricity.

This form of power, once commercially viable, is the way of the future for remote world locations that do not have access to an electrical source. And yes, it's even a great idea for the DR given the performance of the power companies here!

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Get real, people!!!

Fuel cell technology is the way of the future??

Just how much money do you think it will take to bring the FIRST WORLD countries into the market(???), much less the 2nd and 3rd world countries.

I don't see it happening anytime soon.

Solar and wind power were supposed to take the place of fossil fuel electrical generation,according to all the experts. All we have at present are a few EXPERIMENTAL sites operating and at a tremendous cost. Neither has "taken off" like their proponents dreamed they would, unfortunately.

Why?? The cost of the initial installation outweighed the benefits.

Now we're talking about installing plants to convert water into oxygen and hydrogen in huge quantities and market same in an environment that is void of the resevoir of technical expertise necessary to support such an industry and it's distributive shares.
I'm not saying it wont happen, I'm just saying that until 3rd world countries have the educational foundation equal to Europe and the USA, they're blowing smoke up their own tailpipe whining about their lack of "progress". To be successful in any economic/financial market/environment you must invent a better mousetrap. How do you market that mousetrap in a country that hasn't the vaguest idea just what a mousetrap is??? The answer is to have a large enough base of educated people who can then educate the rest of the population. That's the main underlying reason for the successful economies of Europe and the USA.

Comments/corrections???

Texas Bill

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
This "Idea" is like saying that the DR should develope a "Space Travel Program"

to help with the unemployment problem!If Haiti and the DR could somehow be "transported" to the coast of Africa,they would be a perfect fit! "Electric Cars & Fuel Cell" technology?You have got to be "On Drugs"! This country can't even feed and cloth itself!No health care,education,sanitation,water,electricity,government,what are you talking about? Cris Colon

Last edited:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
No,I think you have missed the points being made here!

I applaude your enthusiasm,and envy your innocents! You really have no idea of the economic situation in the DR.Fuel cell technology,and electric,gas/electric "hybred" vehicles are not yet economically feasable in the USA,let alone the DR! The electric rates here are the highest in the world.You could not afford to charge an electric vehicle.Fuel cell technology is many years away in the "First World",and may never arrive in the "Third World"! CRIS COLON

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
most reliable sources have fossil fuels lasting for over 100 years.

Hybrid cars are small, slow and overweight.

I have looked at electric cars for short trips like to the Store and the post office but after much research I just got a golf-Cart. Same technology/Lot Cheaper.

ERICKXSON

Bronze
Dec 24, 2002
www.creambay.com
By the way chriss the Toyota hybrid vehicles are powered by a gas engine and an electric engine, the gas engine generates and store electricity for later use by the electric engine.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Let me try this,There are lots of beautiful girls in the DR!

They will never use "Fuel Cell Technology",or drive an "Electric Car"!CRIS,no "H",one "S"Colon!

bdaric

Aug 28, 2003
How much oil left?

I saw a program where a oil prospecting expert said that in his opinion, there would be no more major finds of oil which would come close to Arab, North Sea etc finds. Some minor fields would be drilled, but based on his knowledge and analysation of the Earth's geology he felt there were limited areas left to search.
At the world's rate of usage, increasing not reducing, a point would be reached about 2020 where the rate of usage would begin to out weigh the rate of finds and current estimated reserves yet to be pumped out ,to supply.
This would herald the peak and begin the down turn towards a predictable day where oil would run out.
This time would depend on the rate of increase of usage somewhere around and about 2020.

We all know there is a finite limit on oil and with a prediction of that nature its amazing that more is not been done to accelerate investigation of alternative fuels while we still have the wonderfully diverse and flexible resource available.
Imagine not being able to make things in the future because not only is the fuel not available to power machines to make it, but in many cases oil itself is the raw material that a product is made from. Many plastics for example.
It makes the Brasilian's look not quaint but positively brilliant when they make fuel from crops.
Perhaps some kind of GM foods may have a future afer all.
Wait until westerners can't have car to worry about GM crops screwing up natural growing plants.

Rich.......

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
I think it's a sad commentary when people start hammering on a subject such as this one.

In 1949 the Interstate Commerce Commission released a study on the natural gas reserves of the United States and Western Hemisphere. They pegged those reserves at (if my memory serves me correctly) 279 trillion cubic feet and projected that at the then current rate of usage, these reserves would be used up within the following 10 years.

Of course, that has subsequently been proven wrong!

Now, we all know that we will someday exhaust our supply of petroleum and really need to find an alternate source of energy. Bear in mind that I don't agree with the unlimited use of other fossil fues, such as coal, lignite and peat, but we have a huge quantity of that type of fuel worldwide. Granted using such will further pollute our atmosphere, but the installation of scrubbers will eliminate most of the contaminants.

Fuel cell technology is still in the fetal stage and has proven to be a very expensive proposition in development. It might be that it will become more affordable sometime in this century, but in the meantime, we're stuck with fossil fuels and nuclear energy production.

That said, I'll defer to more knowledgable individuals and read their constructive comments.

Texas Bill

bdaric

Aug 28, 2003
Fuel Cells

Fuel cells are great and I watch their progress with great interest.
I see that most use petroleum as a main constituent...........

If this subject has been hashed out ad nauseum then ignore my post. after all I'm new to your message boards and message boards in general.

Rich..........

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Fuel Cells....interesting subject....I like the fact that the by-products of hydrogen powered fuel cells are water and heat....the problem with them is that they do nothing to satiate our need for fossil fuels.

A fuel cell needs a fuel source. Fossil fuels are use to power Fuel Cells. When hydrogen is used, the hydrogen must come from somewhere. Extracting the hydrogen requires....what else?....fossil fuels.

Fuel Cells do not lessen our dependence on fossil fuels.....unfortunately...i was so hopeful when i started looking into it...

lhtown

Jan 8, 2002
Fuel cells seem to be here to stay- at leat in specialized applications. How popular they will one day be is another subject entirely. There are some serious hurdles to widespread automobile use for fuel cells. Perhaps a fuel cell in every house could one day(in the distant future, let's say 10-30 years) solve the electrical problem for many Dominicans. Far-fetched? Yes, but can anyone see any other relief any closer in sight?