Dollar goes down 1000 points!!!!!!!! $28 to $1

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
This headline in Listin Diario, the PPH mouthpiece, is the subject of all the morning TV and radio shows and the talk of the streets. Nothing else take precedence.

All the talk shows and commentators today are trying to explain the situation as being a simple case of sensationalism by Listin Diario while at the same time explaining that this was a way by the banks involved to capture hard to come dollars thru credit card customers who have to pay their dollar accounts. The Banks offer to sell dollars at $28 to $1 for an amount totalling the minimum payment for this month*s dollar account(credit card). The real exchange rate is still about $36 to $1 and has not and will not change today.

But the real truth is that this is a campaign strategy by the PPH to capture headlines and continue to buy time with a "lie a day
makes Leonel go away".

For those who dont know, there was a meeting last week between the top brass of the reputed largest bank in DR and Hippo. This meeting was nothing more than a political meeting with little to do about the economy. The Chairman of the Board and the President of this bank are nothing more than a PPH front. This same group spent a fortune trying to bring Pa?a Gomez into power without success, but succeeded with Hippo. And now, this bank carries the banner of the PPH to reelect Hippo. Watch how these two banks will be buying large number of tickets for the Pan Am Games to help Hippo get thru this mess.

The other bank, a state bank is headed by PPH people. and follows orders from Delgado Avenue.

It turns out that financially, this is a losing strategy by the banks. The banks are losing money on this deal. Just imagine selling dollars at $28 to credit card customers, to pay a debt to US banks with dollars worth $38 to $1. This is a net loss of $10 pesos for every dollar. But politically it becomes as good as a free ad for the PPH and perhaps an ad showing "the goodwill of these banks for their customers".

There is no such good will. This smells political all the way. Notice how the big lie has been exclusive of the newspapers controlled by Hippo and his gang and only banks who are PRD connected are participating in this losing strategy, which in the long run, it will backfire.

Of course, the big shot in one of these banks has a lot to thank the PRD. His rise to fame and fortune came with his political connections. From a lowly bank manager in a ghetto area of the South Bronx, where he had little or no future, he jumped to DR, where the ticket to success is "lambonismo". I remember clearly his days in that 138th. Street branch in the South Bronx, an area known as Fort Apache, and very near La Marqueta, the chopo-est area of NYC. Compared that to today and you can see the picture.

This case reminds me of my old friend from Baninter, who as member of the selected top brass, also was recognized as one of DRs best historians. He has even written history books about DR!!! Yet this man never graduated from any college here or in the USA and used to be street bum who used to ask me for $5 dollars in the corners of Washington Heights, when this sector was dominated by Jewish people. But he is the biggest lambon I have ever seen.

So look no further and dont wait for radio and TV shows to gicve you the real reason for this big lie. You read it here first.

TW

ERICKXSON

Bronze
Dec 24, 2002
www.creambay.com
Well Well Golo, what were you doing around la Marqueta that is a very very very scary neighborhood. I don't think a devalueted peso can gain strenght in less than 24 hours that is some bull-crap!

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Thaks for the insigt ! I couldn't believe my eyes when I read both Listin and El Caribe this morning !!! Yesterday I U$=38 RD$, today 10 pesos less !!! I knew it had to be a trick to induce the general public in error, or some kind of manipulation !

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Vimenca in Sosua is paying 28 to 1 this afternoon. Near it, earlier this afternoon, were to banco's de cambio that were paying 29.5, both down from 33 yesterday. But when I passed them a couple of hours later, there was no rate showing. My guess is the government has a full court press going to force the rate down.

golo, I would be interested in your thinking re Vimenca. As you have indicated in your previous posts, they have always been very competitive. But just recently they have been on the low side. In fact, you mentioned this in your most recent comment about Vimenca. What is going on? Are the owners part of the group that is trying to make the president look as good as possible?

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
market pressure is inexorable

they can prop it up for a few days but reality will set in - - productivity, investor confidence, and fair trade practices are what it takes to make the peso competitive again...we shall see...

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
This is getting like a 'roll the dice' game'. I would enjoy it if it wasn't so serious. Let's see tomorrow! DR1 News today sounds all good and rosy - business as usual. If I did not know it, from today's news I would guess there is an election on the horizon... Now if people can just discriminate between election 'news' and real news.

Golo! you're an important person - we depend on you to keep us informed of the 'inside' happenings. If you ever need to come and 'slum' in Cabarete, I'll buy the Remy Martin!

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
The reality of the situation

Just like Ken said, there is a full court press by Hippo to create good news and bring back the confidence of the people in the DR economy. But is all bluff. The people are not biting.

Just take a look at the "disgraced" Listin Diario. Todays headlines are news about a paradise that does not exist..."$57,000,000 for the poor for 12 years", "FMI plan confirmed to solve DR situation", "$100,000,000 destined to develop agriculture", "Banks agree to set rate exchange at $28 to $1".

These are all fake news. Where is this government going to find money for all these things when they still dont have enough to finish up the Pan American Games blackhole, the Baninter blackhole and the foreign debt wormhole?

Yes, Vimenca is a Hippo front too. Do you recall the ad Vimenca placed in the papers about two weeks ago posting for the first time in history "dollars for sale" at $27.70 and plenty of it for sale?
Well, I called and was placed in a "waiting list". Fake news!!!!
Do you really believe banks can set the exchange rate in DR? Even if they try nobody would listen. People never have. Most people deal their dollars in the black market.

What I said yesterday about Banco Popular brass is no joke. In fact, daddy Grullon has sent his son on tour with Hippo. Command performance!!! Did you see the pictures yesterday of "Sonny" helping Hippo open the gas valve at the inauguration of the "Oleoducto"?

I can tell you in no uncertain terms, and without fear that I may be accused of interfering with the economy by J. Lois(the haitian in white skin)Malkum, that I have no confidence whatsoever in this government and their economic team with or without the FMI. I will take a serious look at my investments in the Popular. I cannot trust any institution so obscessed with a reelection campaign, which is the reason this country is going downhill.

This thirst for power, money and land is pervasive. Just today, the senate held off on a sale of land to a man I keep mentioning as one of the greediest men on earth, Anibal Paez. This is the same guy who has turned thousands of Dominicans into beggars every Christmas at Maximo Gomez Avenue with his fake "contributions" of toys bought at Hache and imported from used,discontinued and seconds lots. All that money comes from political influence and patronage. He was just about to close the sale of a piece of land belonging to the CEA at a giveaway price. People...this man is already over 80 years old!!!! So is his partner in greediness El Guaraguao Lira Man, who owns Hippos mind and body. How can these living mummies spent biilions when their life expectancy has already expired??

And Erick, as you can see, I get around. It so happens I was making a dollar transfer from N.Y. to DR and had to use that branch in Port Apache.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Today's rate in Santo Domingo is"

Buying $$$$$$ at 32 to 1! I would say that the "trend" does not seem to be in favor of the "Peso"!!!!! Cris:cool: :bandit:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
My perception is that,the Dominican Economy has not "Caught-Up"

with the devaluation of their peso re.the US dollar.Last year I paid 18,000 pesos for Summer Camp for my two boys.With the peso around 18 to 1 that would be about $1000 US.This year I paid 21,000 pesos,with pesos that I bought at 34 to 1! That is $617.00 US. I "saved" around $400 US! Of course my salary has gown down about 60% in relation to the US Dollar! "The Good Lord Giveth,and then HE Taketh Away!! "Ying and Yang" is my philosophy!
I am still getting lots of "Takers" to spend an hour in my apartment for between 3 and 400 pesos! No "Inflation" there!!!THE PRICE I MEAN!!!!!! Cris Colon

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Here is the way to beat the dollar

-Most of the dollars people need to support themselves go for cars, electronic devices, imported food, electricity, water, and rent.

-So, reduce inmediately eating out in restaurants. Most restaurants in DR are overpriced anyway. The food you cook at home is 100% better and cheaper anyway. Take Italian food...show me a restaurant that can do spaghetti better than home? Yet pasta is so cheap to cook at home is almost obscene to pay $300 for linguini at any restaurant. 22% of the restaurant bill goes for Hippos reelection.

-Cook platanos, yautia, yuca and rice with eggs in all forms. Stay away from meat and still keep chicken as only alternative. Just buy the pieces you like. Try buying pasteles de hoja. They can be found for $7 to $10 pesos already cooked. Make your own natural juice. Mangos are easy and cheap for juice. You can do a gallon of mango juice with 15 small mangoes. Price $10 pesos, plus sugar and some water to your taste of thickness. Mango has a super thick pulp. Lemonade is an incredible bargain.

-Keep your car in good repair and update it with after market stuff rather than buy new. Remember, license plates for new cars will go as high as $25,000 for luxury cars when the IMF program is signed. The cheapest licence plate will be $5000 for any new car small economy car. However your use car license plate only goes down with age. Take my 2002 Astra which I use for daily stuff pays now $1500, yet my 1997 Firebird pays only $600. Yet my Firebird is my toy to show off and blast anything that gets near me. A replacement muscle car now goes in excess of $1,500,000 pesos yet the 0-60 mph. has not increased than much. Very few cars do less than 4 seconds and those who do cost over $3,000,000 pesos. A waste of money.

-Why buy new computers? stereos? fans? Tv sets? Just keep your old. Let the fools pay taxes. You already pay the old taxes in old pesos. Let the fools pay with depreciated pesos and high dollars.

-There are still areas of the city where you can live comfortably under the subsidized electricity by the government. Let the fools pay for your electricity. The IMF is not going to stop the electricity subsidy. It is one of the few items that will survive the hurricane coming. Likewise water and garbage. get free pick ups without paying a legal cent. Its all legal. Stay in big cities for subsidies. People in the suburbs and farm areas are metered to death by Edesur and Edenorte.

-Buy homes or apartments under the $3,000,000 pesos exemption for luxury tax. If you buy, sell quickly for a profit. Dont title the property and then sell with the sales contract and let the buyer pay for your and their tax. Its perfectly legal. Always take the minimum amount of a loan from a savings and loan association to avoid heavy taxes. The minimum is $350,000 pesos. The higher the cost of the apartment, the more you will save.

These are but a few of the tips to survive this holocaust. If you have a particular situation that does not fit this situation, let me know and I will see what I can suggest.

I have made it a personal battle cry not to pay taxes to support corruption. I hate to see my tax money converted into jeepetas for government officials. I will pay what I have to under the law. Thats it. Can you believe a jerk like the Mayor of Santo Domingo West driving a 2003 Blazer, and one for his son with our tax money? This chopo had never wore a suit before in his life and is such an illiterate, it makes you sick. The guy walks and thinks like a monkey. yet we have to support his whole family employed at city hall!!!!

TW

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
After reading Golo's post, it comes to my mind that Most of the PRD politicians that I have come to meet have grown so much more richer under this current government. Ex: I was invited to a political party in the mountians (road to puerto plata from santiago) in a private house of a PRD politician. At first it seemed like any other campo untill we entered the huge newly built home. Complete with a huge swimming pool with a million dollar view of the mountians. The house must have had 6-8 bedrooms and a huge out door sitting area where a merengue concert was produced by a live band (just imagine the size). The pool area was seperate and another area for trees and fruits. This was all aquired by a chopo looking politician.
Another party was thrown in a santiago campo called "villa gongalez". It was a pure dominican rep. country side area deep inside the woods. Then we finally came across a house with multiple entrances. I mean, you had to drive a long way to get to the other entrance. The whole complex was so huge that you could fit in a golf course. One can get lost driving inside the complex. There were professional waitors and the party area was A1 country club style setting. The drinks were all black label and expensive wines. All PRD people and supporters were invited and big name politicians were the center of attention.
There are PRD guys who travel to usa and take their friends along for fun and ride. My friend is going to travel to Miami to bring back the items for the PAN Am games. he has nothing to do with the games; he is a PRD lambon and does nothing for the party.
There are PRD supporters who have gotten cheap lands and apartments through the current adminstration for their election support and efforts. These same people will try to reelect hippo for the second time.
There is a fake MD, who claims to be a chiropractor and a natural medicine doctor who administers prescribed medicine to people and constantly administers fake chiropractic adjustments to dominicans. He had been busted a few times by many people and some had tried to sue him. No one can even get him arrested as he has close ties with the PRD. He is 100% protected and promoted as a real MD by his party. This guy has not one hour of Medical training and even less chiropractic.
So you think its easy to be a good citizen when people are trying to pull rug right under your feet? I have been told that that idiot has been using my name to attract people into his clinic. God help me.

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
I am going to sound like a bitter cynic but...

AZB, what you say is largely true but I think it has more to do with the national political culture than any single party. Sadly, there is no shortage of examples of the situations you describe throughout Dominican history.

Today's PRD has many well documented shortcomings but starting the practice of enriching a political class at the expense of the citizenry is not one of them.

Apr 26, 2002
Re: I am going to sound like a bitter cynic but...

arturo said:
Today's PRD has many well documented shortcomings but starting the practice of enriching a political class at the expense of the citizenry is not one of them.

"tarting the practice." Well, no, they didn't start the practice. But Hippo's crew did perfect it.

The difference between Hippo and Balaguer: Balaguer was so insular that he did not want to be beholden to foreign banks, investment houses or institutions like the IMF. So, though his people enriched themselves and retarded progress, they did NOT indebt generations of Dominicans like the current scumbags.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Today's Rate in Santo Domingo is up a peso since Tuesday!

33 to 1! Right back where we were last week! Come on 50 to 1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
on the DR1 homepage....

Yesterday and today the reported exchange rate was 27 and change to 1. Which is it?
Larry