POP visit and my luggage experience

maryanne

Mar 16, 2003
Good morning Folks! I took a last minute trip down to POP over this past weekend (June 12th to 16th). It was short but sweet, as always.
I flew from Toronto to Miami and then Miami to POP via American Airlines. I was told by AA that I was not allowed locks on my luggage and so, to ensure that the zippers wouldn't open, I used twist ties to keep them shut. In addition to that, I put straps around the duffle bags.
My luggage arrived in POP without a hitch but I noticed right away that my bags had been opened. Straps were way too loose and my twist ties were gone. When I got to my hotel room, I opened my bags, and the contents were literally turned inside out. Ziploc bags were ripped opened. Ziplocs within ziplocs were opened. Shoes which were in bags, were now admist my clothes. Small shoe boxes which were taped shut were also ripped opened. And even the cologne boxes inside one of those boxes were ripped opened. I was not impressed. Nothing major was missing, just some gum and my film. My film was inside my small little purse I use for the evenings (in a ziploc bag), and he/she would have had to open the zipper to take them. I'm not sure where my bags were tampered with but I just wanted to let others now (as per Grahame's suggestion!).
My suggestion would be to put locks on and let the airlines cut them off!

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
The locks WILL be cut off!!!!!

In todays environment of "terror" and terrorist activity, airlines most particularly AA have turned to more thorough luggage inspection. Not much we as the travelling public can do about it!
I would notify AA of the missing items (the inspectors are to be inspecting your belongings for possible security breaches -NOT helpig themselves to your belongings) so they may take steps to find the individual responsible.
Other than that all I can say is this :
1. Don't take anything valuable with you unless it's in your carry on.
2. Don't "lock" or truss your bags too heavily as this will only lead the inspectors to target it for manual inspection (these are random).
3. Report any "missing" items if your bags have been manually inspected and items have "disappeared" in the process.
4. Lodge a complaint with the airline customer service dept. if your bags have been too "ruffled" in the inspection. There is no need to tear open boxes and ziplock bags. If the items can not be seen through the box they can be x-rayed and opened only if the contents look "suspicious".

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
My impression....

On my last trip, my bag (I try to pack very lightly) was inspected right in front of my eyes...it was locked, but they asked me to open it and right there they looked around, closed it, I locked it...and that was that!!!

I think what might have happened to you...and I know this because a family member worked as a baggage handler for a long time with Continental airlines...could be that your bag was opened by the people that put the bags ON the plane and/or take them OFF the plane...

These people are known to STEAL anything they consider worthy of stealing...especially since your bags were so easy to open...

Nobody haS ever told me that my bags couldn't be locked...you just have to have the key ready if they need it to be open.

I'm sorry for your bad experience...better luck next time!

kjdrga

Mar 25, 2002
Because almost all luggage is now xrayed it is widely posted not to put film in your check-in luggage because the xrays will damage your film, it is suggested that you keep that with your carry-on. So whatever film they took hopefully won't work for them unless they got it before the xray!!!

maryanne

Mar 16, 2003
Flying from Toronto usually is a little different. A person actually stands by the conveyor belt where you deposit your luggage and he/she will verify if there is a lock on the luggage. If there is a lock, they ask you to remove it. And considering my bags travel direct to POP (without me having to claim them in Miami), I'm not sure where they were inspected.

I have traveled with Air Canada and AA recently and both airlines manually verify that locks are removed before placing the luggage on the belt. However, if Air Canada inspects your bags without you actually being present, they place a small paper inside the bag, informing you that it has been inspected.

I always travel with new film in my luggage and I have never had any problems with them, but thanks for the advice kjdrga.

The next I go to POP, I will most likely be using a charter. We'll see if the "lock" situation will be any different. I find that when I travel with a chartered airline (Air Transat or Skyservice), the same rules don't apply. Not neccessarily a good thing.

MommC, no need to lodge a complaint considering I left all the evidence behind in Puerto Plata. It was nothing serious anyways.
Other than the fact that the ziploc full of gum was within the larger ziploc full of my panties! I ziploc most of my good stuff so that they don't get dirty or wet (that's happened before). Also, when I get to POP, I just store them in the closet in their ziplocs so they don't get that musty smell. I prefer the smell of bounce!

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Never has happened to me

I have not checked luggage since post 9/11 travel resumed.

No luggage no waiting (particularly in the DR) no theft, no searching, locks etc. North Americans travel with WAY too much stuff anyway especially on a vacation to the DR - you need bathing suit , shorts and some undies and some travel soap or ask a maid to do your laundry and pay a few pesos for that service.

For 7 days you do not need 7 pants, 7 shirts, 7 socks, 7 undies etc.

The one full size carry on and a personal item is enough space to carry supplies for weeks.

I am always amused as I go from immigration at SDQ to Banco Reservas to the exit in 5 minutes while tourists wait for suitcases the size of refrigerators to come out of the luggage carousel for a one week trip to a place that provides almost everything you need anyway, has a nice beach and for that a suit and some suntan lotion is totally all you require.

BTW if the TSA opens your bags they reseal them with blue tags and leave a note they were in the bag. The TSA recommends you buy and use cable ties which if they want to open they will cut off and replace. If they don't open then your bag will be clearly fastened with your original cable ties.

The TSA also has a claim form online you can file a claim if you think the TSA stole or damaged stuff.

All that said, try carry on only and see how little you NEED (vs. want).

Last edited:

kjdrga

Mar 25, 2002
I totally agree with you Rick that many tourist bring way too much luggage. However those of us that have family in the DR tend to bring the suitcases chock full of goodies. And I usually leave almost everything including my own clothes to people. So while I wish I could fit 100 lbs worth of clothes, shoes, perfume, and books into a carry-on it's just not possible. I do however take inventory so I know what is missing and what the value was...

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Try the cable ties

kjdrga said:
I totally agree with you Rick that many tourist bring way too much luggage. However those of us that have family in the DR tend to bring the suitcases chock full of goodies. And I usually leave almost everything including my own clothes to people. So while I wish I could fit 100 lbs worth of clothes, shoes, perfume, and books into a carry-on it's just not possible. I do however take inventory so I know what is missing and what the value was...

They (cable ties) are quite tough ( as far as keeping things closed) and if the TSA is the culprit then they at least re-seal and leave a note and seem to be willing to accept some responsibility for damage. Get at radio shack or a good hardware store - the ones 6- 8" long go through several zippers etc.

If they don't go through your cable ties and re-seal them, and they STILL wind up broken off (and they won't break with just airline handling - you can barely cut them off) then you can think maybe the DR airport guys are at fault and hopefully they don't shop a lot on your stuff. At leat you now and perhaps the security would discourage them.

As for tourists, the staggering quantity of stuff boggles the mind every trip.

I guess they also don't know that for the most part anything you forgot is pretty inexpensive to acquire in country , like shorts, T-shirts etc.

The last trip out there was a lady with a chandelier trying to get it on board as carry on. Why the TSA let it into the gate was a mystery - I guess it X-rayed somehow) but it was 4 feet across, wrought iron and of course would not fit - she refused to board without it - it was finally gate checked.

I am happy with pants and so far have not felt the need to augment my apartment I rent with a chandelier.

debs

Jun 10, 2002
Maryanne,

I flew with Skyservice (YYZ to POP) a couple of weeks ago with locks on my checked luggage without any problems. So as far as I know, charters are not checking for locked luggage.

Sorry to hear you had so many problems with your luggage. Hopefully you still had a wonderful trip!

Debs

maryanne

Mar 16, 2003
Of course!

Of course, I had a wonderful time!!!!

I wasn't going to let that put a damper on my trip. Heck, my flight from Miami had so many problems, that the luggage thing really was no big deal. But I just wanted to warn people.

Toronto to Miami...finally the first in line but the computer systems were down due to a power outage in the airport the night before. I finally get to the plane half an hour before it's scheduled to leave.

Miami to POP.....nail in the tire that needed to be replaced, then airline pulled out the nail but there was no damage to the tire; so tire was not replaced. Then the pilot's seat was broken and no longer moved back and forth, nor up and down. Seat had to be replaced. Sat on the plane for an hour and a half, but we managed to get to POP safely by 3pm (usually I'm there by 1pm).

I got food poisoning on the Saturday night that has only finally subsided. This surprised me because I'm pretty careful about where I eat and I have a suspicion that I got sick from the fish at my favorite restaurant.

And then there was Friday night. Guillermo and I were driving on the main road between Costambar and the Texaco station at 1am, heading into POP. We came across a dead woman lying across the middle of the other side of the road. She had been hit by a car and left there. I don't want to talk about this, because I still have vivid images in my head, and it was horrible. I know am scared shitless driving alone at night time as a result. And so is Guillermo. And unfortunately for him, he drives that stretch of road every single night, at about the same time, on his pasola.

Forbeca

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
AA removes all locks from suitcases

On my last trip to POP they asked me to remove the locks from all three suitcases. They did however inspected them right in front of me and I had no problems.

Forbeca

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
Re: Never has happened to me

ricktoronto said:
I have not checked luggage since post 9/11 travel resumed.

No luggage no waiting (particularly in the DR) no theft, no searching, locks etc. North Americans travel with WAY too much stuff anyway especially on a vacation to the DR - you need bathing suit , shorts and some undies and some travel soap or ask a maid to do your laundry and pay a few pesos for that service.

For 7 days you do not need 7 pants, 7 shirts, 7 socks, 7 undies etc.

The one full size carry on and a personal item is enough space to carry supplies for weeks.

I am always amused as I go from immigration at SDQ to Banco Reservas to the exit in 5 minutes while tourists wait for suitcases the size of refrigerators to come out of the luggage carousel for a one week trip to a place that provides almost everything you need anyway, has a nice beach and for that a suit and some suntan lotion is totally all you require.

What? Women need their stuff. I agree with you, it's much simpler to travel your way, but we are not as practical as you men when it comes to our vanity.

kjdrga

Mar 25, 2002
Re: Of course!

maryanne said:
She had been hit by a car and left there. I don't want to talk about this, because I still have vivid images in my head, and it was horrible.

I'm sorry you had that horrible experience unfortunately it happens so often in places where there is no street lighting and people forget that driver can not see you if you are wearing dark colored clothes. And becuase of the laws in the DR I imagine the culprit just ran off so not to be held accountable for such a tradegy.

When do we get to hear the juicy details of your adventure? Still waiting for the next chapter....

maryanne

Mar 16, 2003
sorry....

I need to find some time to write my story. I used to be able to stay up and write, but I'm too exhausted these days. I'm working extermely long hours 6 days a week and I'm only able to throw in my comment here and there on DR1.

Obviously, Guillermo and I are still together. We're engaged (6 months now) but we've had our ups and downs.

The woman was struck by an American. He felt guilty for leaving her there and he eventually turned around and came back. He paid for her funeral and her casket. Not sure if the police charged him.

maggiemay

Aug 31, 2002
The woman on the road was my maids aunt. As far as I know no one owned up for hitting her, she was run over a couple of times by the sound of things, but I'll check when I talk to my maid on Friday. For anyone that lives in Puerto Plata the dead lady was the older lady with mental problems (I hesitate to say looney) who used to throw stones at cars and stand around naked at the traffic lights pouring milk over herself. I don't mean to make light of the situation as she obviosly had problems and now she is dead