R.D. Military/Police (?)

rubio

Apr 28, 2003
www.geocities.com
I was watching a show about international police forces and a question popped into my mind...Does anyone know how R.D. choose people for their military and police force? Is it on a need-based system? Is it purely volunteer? Purely "political"? ;)

I'm very curious to find out.

Thanks, Rubio

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Rubio

It is a mixed bag. The army and police have established new systems to attract good qualified candidates thru their volunteer program, which screens personnel better than your regular enlistments.

A great deal of the people in the army are recommendations. Ususally, middle and high ranking officers help enlist family members, friends and trusted people as a means to strenghten their future when they reach higher ranks. When high ranking officers get a command, they bring in their family members with them. Others try to spread their enlistments in all the different branches to have influence over all.

Note that many of the top military officers in the last 40 years are the sons of other high ranking officers, who by tradition keep it all in the family.

Even when high ranking officers are retired by the president, they have a foothold in the forces thru their enlistments.

Politics are now a ticket to promotions. All the top brass around Hipolito are PRD people. His Chief Soto Jimenez is a political man, who when retired will become a PRD candidate of a sort. The Chief of Police is a PRD man all the way. He never makes a speech without mentioning Hipolito. Whenever a party takes power they enlist a lot of their faithful to assure a quota in the armed forces...just in case!

TW

DCfred

Jun 19, 2003
Note that many of the top military officers in the last 40 years are the sons of other high ranking officers, who by tradition keep it all in the family.

Why does the DR even need a military? Look at Costa Rica, no military and what a wonderful place to live and visit. I guess people would say the military is needed to protect the country against the Haitians. But if you think about it, the military is just a vehicle to suppress and intimidate the populus. I find it interesting that officially the generals have a salary that is public record, and yet they seem to manage these "tremenda casotas" beyond what their salaries can finance...Que siga la tracidion, lol!

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
DCfred said:

Why does the DR even need a military? Look at Costa Rica, no military and what a wonderful place to live and visit.

Guys like you love to bring up Costa Rica. Guess what? Yes they have no Standing army in Name but they do have a 22,000 man "Policia National" Equipped with all the military gear. This gear includes: Light Armor, APC's, artillery and aAnti-aircraft battalions. Their "Civilian" Coast Gurad is better equipped than the Navies of neighboring Panama and El Salvador. Hardly a force for writting tickets.

Disband the DR's Army and the Haitians will be over the border so fast that you will be speaking patois by Breakfast the next day!

duhtree

Jun 2, 2003
mltary police

And if I understand correctly there is a treaty between CR and the US whereby we defend themin case of war.