How to export cigars from the DR to the USA

supreme3k

Jun 19, 2003
Hello I am looking for information on how to export cigars from the Dominican Republic to the United States. I am going to start a tobacco distribution company here in the states and would love to carry Dominican cigars.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
It can be done

Please send me an e-mail.

this is being done every day.

However, there are a few things you have to know:
1) The major brands like Fuente, Davidoff, R&J, La Gloria Cubana etc etc are not available for export here, unless you work through their distributors in the States of in Europe.
2) There are lots of small, call them "boutique" cigar factories that can prepare cigars in every price range, but you have to build the clientel
3) You have to get an ATF Import License.
4) This is very expensive.

Now, if you can live with the above, do send me that e-mail and we can talk some more.

HB

duhtree

Jun 2, 2003
convention/conference recall

I have a question of prcedure and hope someone can advise me. I market an interactive cd-rom wherein we capture conference/convention/seminar/educational powerpoint presentions for various associations and organizations.( from a staples chain, the fla. Bar Assoc. So. Fla. Dental Association and others. Primarily focused on medical and continuing education.
Question: Can I advertise on DR1 though I am not a business in the DR? What would be the best venue to find DR assoc./conventions? Anyone interested in marketing to the country?
The company is called ' Total Conference Recall'.
Thanks in advance, John

duhtree

Jun 2, 2003
convention/conference recall

I have a question of procedure and hope someone can advise me. I market an interactive cd-rom wherein we capture conference/convention/seminar/educational powerpoint presentions for various associations and organizations.( from a staples chain, the fla. Bar Assoc. So. Fla. Dental Association and others). Primarily focused on medical and continuing education.
Question: Can I advertise on DR1 though I am not a business in the DR? What would be the best venue to find DR assoc./conventions? Anyone interested in marketing to the country?
The company is called ' Total Conference Recall'.
Thanks in advance, John

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Answer to Erick

Yes but it don't work.
1) Shipping costs take you out of the market
2) You still can't get the "name" brands
3) You are limited to 50 cigars to any one address.

HB

ERICKXSON

Bronze
Dec 24, 2002
www.creambay.com
thank HB i saw a couple of expats doing it online and thought it was cool check out yahoo auctions last week a few people were selling direct from the D.R. and shipping through DHL and UPS.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Thanks Erick, I will check them out

I am sure that they are not selling the "name" brands, since these are made here but sold through distributors in the States...
They could sell some of the "boutique" brands, but shippings eats away at profits...

HB

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I just went over there

And what i saw was a lot of
1) Central American cigars
2) Dominican made premium cigars, not available for resale in the DR. The factories that make them do not control sales. Sales are through wholesale distributors in the States.
3) Counterfeit Cubans ("Cohiba Esplendidos" at $24.99 a box of 25? The real Cohiba Esplendidos cost that much each!) hrayrj was the seller.
4) Super cheapo knock-offs: the same guy selling "Colita Esplendidos" . The guy that owns the brand got the name and trademark rights before General Cigar was able to get them. Good move, but his cigars are cheap....

Since I know where most, if not all, of these cigars are made, I know that none are being sold from here. (At least the 8 or 9 pages I looked at.) Shipping was from CA, MI and other places in the States...

Overall, I would say that you could do better ordering from JR Cigars or Thompson's..

HB

ERICKXSON

Bronze
Dec 24, 2002
www.creambay.com
HB i need to find this page i looked at i have no idea how are they doing it i know that the shipping will kill it but they are doing it i don't think much profit will be made out of it.

thank you for the info HB.