Beware Luggage Restrictions

Dec 9, 2002
I have flown to the DR with JMC 6 times over the last 2 1/2 years, have always checked in 2 bags, always well over the 20kgs my tickets have stated I am limited to, and have never had any problems. However, I travelled recently from London Gatwick to Puerto Plata with Thomas Cook Airlines, which is what JMC are now known as. I checked in at Gatwick and they insisted weighing everything - including my handbag. I was told that my luggage was overweight and they would have to charge me for 8 kilos.

Oh well, I thought, fair enough. I asked how much and was told ?4 per kilo. OK, ?32 isn't too bad, so I agreed to pay. They sent me to the Servisair Desk to pay, where I was informed that ?4 is the cost for short haul flights, ?10 is the cost for long haul flights. There was nothing I could do, I had to pay the ?80.

The man at Servisair told me that most of the British airlines are now charging at that rate.

Just be careful when you pack and stay within the luggage allowance!

Forbeca

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
I wonder how soon before US follows suit

If so, I'm going to be in deep trouble. I don't travel light at all. Thanks for your post, I'll have to keep on top of that.