Well, I've done it ! ! !

Dec 9, 2002
I've just got back to England after a wonderful 3 weeks in POP, during which time I married my Dominican man.

For the most part, I stayed at the Gran Ventana in Playa Dorada, which everyone jokes is "mi segunda casa". All of the staff there, as usual, were brilliant, they all know me well, and I consider a number of them to be very good friends of mine.

Our wedding took place late afternoon on Monday 2nd June in the office at Puerto Plata. A small, simple and quick ceremony conducted in Spanish. There were only 6 of us there - me and Kennedy, my two best friends from England, and 2 of Kennedy's friends who were our witnesses. We then went down to the fort where we had some pictures taken, followed by a meal at a restaurant on the Malecon. It was then on to a couple of bars, finishing up at a carwash dancing the night away. Fabulous.

The hotel where Kennedy works gave him 5 days off, so we went to Santiago for a couple of days, then we rented an apartment at Costambar for a few days. It was lovely.

We are now trying to get Kennedy's visa sorted out so that he can come to England for a few years. Now please don't spoil things and all jump down my throat over this - I know how lots of you will react. In actual fact, he wants me to move over there, but I want him to come here just to experience life here first. The long term plan is for him to say here for around 4 or 5 years so that we can both work and save hard, then move back to DR with a fair bit of capital behind us.

As some of you will already know, BushBaby very kindly organised a bit of a get together at the Golf Club - thanks to those of you who came, it's good to actually meet some of you finally.

I also want to say thank you to those of you who were kind enough to send me messages of congratulations - your good wishes are appreciated.

I will try and post some pictures when I have them, but I need to find someone who has the right equipment to help me out with that one. Watch this space. . .

ILLPrincessa

Jun 18, 2003
Congrats!:) And wish you many to come.
Dominican Babe said:
I've just got back to England after a wonderful 3 weeks in POP, during which time I married my Dominican man.

For the most part, I stayed at the Gran Ventana in Playa Dorada, which everyone jokes is "mi segunda casa". All of the staff there, as usual, were brilliant, they all know me well, and I consider a number of them to be very good friends of mine.

Our wedding took place late afternoon on Monday 2nd June in the office at Puerto Plata. A small, simple and quick ceremony conducted in Spanish. There were only 6 of us there - me and Kennedy, my two best friends from England, and 2 of Kennedy's friends who were our witnesses. We then went down to the fort where we had some pictures taken, followed by a meal at a restaurant on the Malecon. It was then on to a couple of bars, finishing up at a carwash dancing the night away. Fabulous.

The hotel where Kennedy works gave him 5 days off, so we went to Santiago for a couple of days, then we rented an apartment at Costambar for a few days. It was lovely.

We are now trying to get Kennedy's visa sorted out so that he can come to England for a few years. Now please don't spoil things and all jump down my throat over this - I know how lots of you will react. In actual fact, he wants me to move over there, but I want him to come here just to experience life here first. The long term plan is for him to say here for around 4 or 5 years so that we can both work and save hard, then move back to DR with a fair bit of capital behind us.

As some of you will already know, BushBaby very kindly organised a bit of a get together at the Golf Club - thanks to those of you who came, it's good to actually meet some of you finally.

I also want to say thank you to those of you who were kind enough to send me messages of congratulations - your good wishes are appreciated.

I will try and post some pictures when I have them, but I need to find someone who has the right equipment to help me out with that one. Watch this space. . .

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Dominican Babe

<i>CONGRATULATIONS!!!

How I envy you!!! (In a good way, of course! I would love to be married again someday, but in the Dominican Republic!!)

Please post the pics...

I wish you and Kennedy lots of happiness...

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Let me know if you have any problems with Mendez Pat - I will go kick his BUTT for you &/or push him along a bit!! Knowing how the Embassy works in Santo Domingo, it may take a year to bring about, but if you are persistent & involve the Foreign Office, your local MP etc, & get them to put various bits of pressure on the Embassy, it SHOULD happen for you!!

Keep me informed by e-mail & have a wonderful life. - Grahame.

Dec 9, 2002
Thank you all for your good wishes - it means a lot to me.

A year Grahame? Surely not as long as that? I have just booked another trip over in November (only 156 days - and counting!) and was hoping that he may be able to come back to England with me then. I will take your advice and get my MP etc involved, but a year is such a long time to have to wait. I know you are usually right, but I'm hoping you've got it wrong this time!

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Hello DB,
Sorry for bursting the bubble a bit, but I would rather give you the 'Down side' & you get a nice surprise than give you the 'Dominican answer' & you be dissappointed!!

What type of visa have you gone for? Permanent/Long Term visa? I hope the options open to you were explained correctly, Mendez is normally very good but things CAN be overlooked!! How did you envisage coming out here in November, Package or Schedule?? If you expected to come 'Package' I would certainly check with the tour operator that they allow 'Non British Passport Holders' to start their journey from over here!! The LEAST you are going to have to do is pay for a ticket from UK to the DR that you will not use & then Kennedy will use on the return journey but you MUST check this with your conytacts that end before booking!

Once you know the answer to that, you can probably put a bit more pressure on the Embassy in Santo Domingo by telling them you need to book flights etc!! The trick is to keep your Kennedy's file coming back to the top of the "IN" file, so the more reasons you can find for the Sto. Dgo. Embassy to "LOOK" at your file - the quicker an answer should be given!!

Good luck - Grahame.

cosmicjo

Feb 28, 2003
congratulations

was meaning to post a reply just to say congratulations to Pat and Kennedy, hope it all works out

by the way Hi Grahame, long time no hear ..

Amanda Jade

Aug 2, 2003
Congratulations,
I'm fairly new to the forum, but really love reading about all of the romances that work out. I'm from England too, and in love with a Dominican guy. I'm going back to see him in 42 days, can't wait!!! I love to read about all of the successful relationships like yours, and think it could be me one day!!
Anyway, congratulations, can't wait to see the photos!

Bonita

Aug 28, 2003
Congratulations

Congratulations,

So now we can see, not all dominican men are sankies!!!! I have also a Dominican boyfriend and hope to marry him soon.

johnsr

Bronze
Apr 13, 2002
Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!
We celebrated our 35th anniversary last May at the Blue Marlin in Confressi, hope you celebrate your 35th there also!
John

SalsaBlondie

Aug 28, 2003
congrats to you, I am going to get married next year to mi dominicano :), i'll be interested to see how it works out culturally with you guys (I live in Washington DC).

dominicans are different than other latino guys.. i recommend them to all women! :-D