Do you still need to pay local cops off with bribes to drive in the DR?

oldhippy

Jul 22, 2002
Having read many posts herein, I've found a few of you expats are adamant about..."do not rent cars in the DR...take the bus", and others are OK with renting.

Please address the current attitude or issues to watch out for on renting and driving in the DR, that would make you say don't do it!

[Deadly Night driving and poor roads excluded]

Are tourists still shook down today by local cops in small towns, and how much is a proper bribe if it still happens?

My Last info on this bribe is maybe a decade old...and it was then only a couple of dollars in pesos????

Please update to current standards.

Thank you in advance.

KenoshaChris

Jan 4, 2002
I'll have Barney deputize me and I'll be happy to stand on every corner and take your money. Was that a dumb title for a question or what?

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
I have yet to hear of a tourist that was "shook Down" by the cops.
If you commit a Traffic enfraction and they stop you for it then you are better off bribing them then going thru the hassle of a ticket.
The best way is to play dumb tourist..."me no Speaky SpanY"... Leave a few bucks, smile, shake hands and be on your way.

oldhippy

Jul 22, 2002
The reason I ask...

10 years or so ago, on the North shore, MID WAY BETWEEN Samana and POP, a guy jumps out of the bush to stop me on my motorcycle as I'm going by at approx. 42-45 mph, [much less than 80 KPH= 50MPH.]

This is an open hywy I'm on, mind you...no village in site.

Speeding?...I don't think so.

So the question is...Do local cops still pull this stunt today?

Is it still their main source of income in rural areas, as I was told back then?...and will 2 bucks still do the trick?

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
I've been here 8 months now and have never experienced this. The few times that the cops did pull me off, they just asked a question or two and waved me on.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
That "Custom" went away a few years ago. Now, those useless, overpaid smokey wannabee's (AMHET) do the traffic. Apparently if you offer them bribes, you're in trouble.

samiam

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
I think chances cops stop you in rural areas are significantly less than in the city. I have only been stopped in StoDgo and Santiago and each time for talking on the cell phone. I guess I broke the law and the law won.

NOTE: Talking on the cell phone while driving is a big nono in the DR now a days, but we can still drink and drive!!!

With the exchange rate at 30+ x 1usd, more than a 2usd payoff is in my opinion, a bit excesive. Then again, that depends on the infraction you are being accused of, so remember, stay off the freaking phone while driving in town.

Driving in the DR, my biggest worries are not the cops but the drivers, thay are as dangerous as ever and DO stay off the roads at night, encounters with animals or delincuents are not uncommon.

Must you drive?

m65swede

Mar 18, 2002
samiam said:
I think chances cops stop you in rural areas are significantly less than in the city.

Driving in the DR, my biggest worries are not the cops but the drivers, thay are as dangerous as ever and DO stay off the roads at night, encounters with animals or delincuents are not uncommon.

I pretty much agree with the above statements. I've never been stopped for a driving offense, real or contrived.

I have been waved over at several of the numerous military checkpoints in the southwest part of the DR. I usually ignore them and continue on my way; they pull you over in order to hitch a ride to the next town, etc.

This past April I was waved over at a checkpoint east of San Juan de la Maguana and asked by a sergeant to give a lift to a young soldier who was travelling to San Jos? e Ocoa. I welcomed the company and had a pleasant trip, dropping the soldier off at the salida de San Jos? de Ocoa.

Cops? Never had a problem. I rent a car from http://www.dr1.com/national/ at Las Americas and usually log 1,200 to 1,300 Km during my 8 or 9 day stay.

Swede

m65swede

Mar 18, 2002
duhtree said:
Swede: How much, all told, for the rental? Daily, weekly? What kind of car?

The cost varies considerably dependant upon the model of vehicle and the level of insurance. I rented Nissan Sentras in 2002 and 2003.

2002 cost was nearly US$490 for 9 days with full coverage insurance. I was told that should an accident occur, just call National who would take care of everything.

2003 cost was US$279 for 8 days, but declined additional insurance (Visa provides it free of charge).

It's your call as to which insurance option is best for you. :)

Swede

oldhippy

Jul 22, 2002
Thanks for the update. I'm glad to hear that custom is no mas.

Thank you all for the feedback. One less thing to be concerned about when driving in the DR is nice to hear.

So...I will now assume all the warnings on "Don't rent -take the bus", are just based on known bad driving habits of the locals, and bad nightime driving conditions?

Thanks again!

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
What about when you get in an accident, do they still haul foreigners off to jail to extort money (even when it wasnt your fault)?

I have not heard of this happening in a while, but I know two people that this happened to about two years ago - in or near Puerto Plata.

Is this still a practice?

kjdrga

Mar 25, 2002
When my parents came to visit me out in the campo we rented a car for a week or so and believe me we were glad we bought the full insurance, although the insurance company tried to extort more money out of us. We were in an accident coming around a blind curve and the pick up was in our lane and hit us head on. They had no isurance so to speak. If you are in an accident you have to go to the local police station were it occured to get a police report filled out. That was our biggest problem was getting the police report in the capital when the accident occured in the campo, but a couple of hundred pesos later we had a typed up report that the accident occured on some random street in Sto. Dom.

Of course news spread like wildfire that fulano hit "La Americanas" car and there were plenty of people ready to defend us and help us out, that's an advantage to living there!

gerd

Jan 10, 2002
Cheaper to pay the "multa"

I got to tickets at a time:
Baby on the front seat and not respecting a red traffic light.

I didn't agree with the red light, but kept my mouth shut.
The tickets had to be paid at the Banco de Reservas where they charged me RD$25 each.

Why lose time and start a discussion? Why bother to bribe?