Will the games still take place?

DCfred

Jun 19, 2003
There is talk that the games may be canceled due to the fact that the government does not have the money to stage the games, specially on the eve of an IMF accord-- anyone heard anything?

DCfred

Jun 19, 2003
Well, from what I've seen in the media even game officials are not sure everything will work out. Lets hope for the best.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
ERICKXSON said:
do you think that they will relocate or cancel the games 2 months prior to the start date? that will be crazy.

The games are just over 3 weeks away.

"There is talk that the games may be canceled due to the fact that the government does not have the money to stage the games, specially on the eve of an IMF accord-- anyone heard anything?"

It's a very valid question and one that is creating lots of rumors right now. My feeling is that they will cancel some events, what ones, not sure yet. Ask me Again on August 1st.

Most Dominicans I speak to couldn't careless and see it as another way for the few to get rich. It will be interesting to see if we ever get to see the final numbers. I have a feeling it will be like the census.

From a spectators point of view, the Pan American Games are a complete shambles. Nobody has any idea what the final ticket prices will be and how to buy them. If we cannot find out in Santo Domingo, what chance do all the people visiting have of getting information?

My guess is they will just let everyone in for free as they will not be able to sell tickets even if the have a face value of RD$20. It has to be cheaper not to print them, than the revenue they will get from selling tickets.

I drove from the Pan American Village to the city today, the road is a mess and needs a considerable amount of work. Of course you can use it, it just looks like a building site.

Bottom line...

This is the third largest sporting event in the Americas and I'm afraid this country does not have the money, the infrastructure or the personnel to handle such a large scale sporting event.

It's sad, maybe under a different government or time, it could have been the event that really put the DR on the map...