Dominican Ball Players in Canada

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Hello everyone. I'm up here in Victoria Canada where we have a new semi pro baseball league.

In Victoria we have 9 Dominican players on the roster. Anyone interested in knowing about them or how they are doing??? There are also many others throughout the league.

Two of them here speak good English and have spent some time in North America but most of them are in absolute culture shock. It's quite interesting to watch them try to adjust. In Victoria there are no other Dominicans - lots of Latinos though.

I've tried to introduce them to the community! For me it's a little bit like being back in the DR!

Let me know if anyone wants info on the team or the players.....

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
"Old dream, new home
For many Latinos, baseball's a path to a better life ? even if it means freezing your butt off in Canada

JENNIFER QUINN
SPORTS REPORTER

It's dark, and Juan Jose Gonzales is wearing sunglasses.

The sunglasses are because he's cool; the coat is because he's cold. His hands are stuffed way down in his pockets, and he's in Trois-Rivi?res and he's from the Dominican Republic and he's freezing......"
Copyright 1996-2003. Toronto Star Newspapers Limited.

this article was one of three in a series about the CBL printed in the toronto star about 2 weeks ago. the other 2 parts must have been archived all ready other wise i would post their links as well. it was an interesting series/

mob

corecto

Jun 18, 2003
Is Victoria?

I am Dominican living outside the country for a long time, though. But I visiting Toronto next month and I wouldn't mind coming to see a ball game, espcially if there are Dominican players. Could tell me if Victory is close to Toronto? or if I could drive from Toronto to there? Thanx

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
corecto, the closest teams are in London, about 2 hrs west of Toronto and in Niagara Falls 3+ hours west. Victoria is on Vancouver Island on the west coast of Canada.

btw, London is currently in first place.

mob

gonzaga

Mar 19, 2002
Corecto,

There's a park at Lawrence and Keele in Toronto, where local Dominicans gather and play baseball every Sunday. I don't have the name of the park, but from what my friend told me, it's easy to find. After the game, beer and a barbeque. It's not the Blue Jays game, but I hear it's a lot of fun. Maybe someone from Toronto reading this board might know the name of the park.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Calgary's CBL team is doing very well, a big reason why is because of the Dominicans on the team. There are 7 Dominicans, 2 Puerto Ricans, and one Panamanian. It is a league rule that every CBL team must have at least 5 Canadian players, however the Latinos are clearly outshining our natives. My husband knew a couple of the Dominicans on the team from playing in the DR, and we have season tickets for all the games...they are great fun, and very exciting, many of the players have played in the big leagues. For more info, visit:

http://www.canadianbaseballleague.com

ETA: Planner's mention of watching them adjust is so true...many of them have been starving, because they don't like Canadian food...we've had them over a few times for some good ol' Dominican cooking.

Last edited:

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Sounds like a few more baseball fans in Canada!!! Trina I assume you followed the Calgary Victoria series just finished! Some great baseball. If you ever get out to Victoria let me know, you will have a place to stay!

Corecto - Yes you could drive from Toronto to Victoria! However it would take about 4 days of driving 10 to 12 hours a day! Victoria is about 5,000 kilometers from Toronto! But if you do take the trip out, just let me know.

Unfortunately there are no other Dominicans in Victoria! The other Latinos are helpful but I still feel sorry for these guys. The team management doesn't understand at all. I'm doing my best to help out. Tonight I have 5 of them coming over for dinner. Might bankrupt me - they can sure eat a lot.....

The worst for them is when they go on a road trip. They travel almost every second weekend and are completely overwhelmed by the process.

It's an adventure for them and I am learning a lot from them as well. I'm moving down in September and they've already adopted me into all there extended families! That is one of the things I love about Dominicans.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Hi Planner! I have said to my husband many times that I need to take him to Victoria, because it's beautiful...I love your city. The summers are so busy, as my son plays AAA Little League and my husband plays on 3 baseball teams, then the touraments, and we try to get to every Outlaw game in Calgary...then there's the Stampede next week... But my son will be finished this week, so maybe we'll be able to breathe a little again soon.

I'm glad you've adopted some players, I think they're finding it pretty lonely here. If they can extend their visas, a couple may stay with us over the winter. It's so great having them around...I miss the DR so much...

E-mail me, I lived in Sosua and have family there, maybe I can help you make some contacts!

PS
I'd like to talk to you more about the CBL...the team management here hasn't been living up to their end of the deal, and I'm wondering if the same things are happening to the players in Vic. We've talked to the Saskatoon Dominican players, and all seems well there, but not here in Calgary.

penguin

Jun 19, 2003
Hey, Planner, I live in Victoria, too, and I am a Capitals fan--go Caps go (hey, who cares if they are in the bottom of the league!--I'm a huge sports fan and have always support the local sports clubs!) Hey--were you at Sunday's game (June 22) against Calgary--what a wicked crowd that was! Very vocal and rude to the home plate umpire, eh! Fun though!--he sure deserved it for some of those calls he made--oh well--fans will be fans I guess!!

I've wondered how those Dominican boys are liking it up here in good 'ol Victoria--especially last week (June 19-22 game days) when we had all that incredibly strong (and cold) wind when they were playing Calgary! I felt sorry for them. Even made me wish I was back down there in the DR myself!

Have fun introducing them to the friendly Victoria community! You shouldn't have too much trouble there!

Trina--you are right--Calgary is doing very well--They are very strong players! I really enjoy going to the games when they are here in Victoria--haven't missed a game yet when they have been here! The CBL really is fun and exciting baseball! I really hope it catches on--here in Victoria we are getting anywhere from 1200 to about 2000 fans per game! I hope the fan support continues so that it doesn't go under here in Victoria! I am really looking forward to seeing some of the back east teams later in the season when they are here!

Penguin

Last edited: