Toronto to POP - fights for 3 wks or more?

palmas

Jan 7, 2002
Hi everyone,

Hope you can help me with this one. We have a house in Sosua and need to go in beginning of Aug.

I know that there are usually good deals 1 wk before the flying date, but they are usually 1 or 2 wk stays. We are looking into options on 3 wks or more. The best that I have been able to get is 950.00 Can. with AA from T.O. to Miami and Miami to POP. This is for a maximum stay of up to 60 days.

We live in Windsor, Ontario.

Are there any other options that will not cost more than flying to Europe? I,ve been dealing with a very good travel agent that is still searching for a better rate. I would also like to know how some people who spend 6 mths there at a time, manage this flight thing.

Please help.

Palmas.

Lyse

Jan 2, 2002
palmas said:
... I would also like to know how some people who spend 6 mths there at a time, manage this flight thing.

Palmas.

We fly A.A. Montreal - Miami - La Romana. We paid 1660$ CDN per person last winter for a 5 months stay. :mad:

Dec 9, 2002
I would also like to know how some people who spend 6 mths there at a time, manage this flight thing
Surely the 2 week thingy only applies if you are buying a holiday package and therefore travelling on a charter flight (I have had that problem coming from UK). But if you are buying a flight only then that would normally be on scheduled airlines and you can easily pick and choose your travel dates then.

maryanne

Mar 16, 2003
If you are planning to stay longer than 2 weeks, then the only option you have is to use American Airlines. Actually, the price you were quoted is quite good and I would reserve as soon as possible. I fly from Toronto to Miami to POP often and the cheapest I have paid is $900 Canadian and the most I've paid is $1200. My stays are anywhere from 5 days to 5 weeks. I find that if I leave on a Thursday and return on a Monday, the cost goes down.

I have found that prices during the summer are terribly high. I am also going the first week of August for 1 week and I am flying with Air Canada (chartered flight). They have the best price and after taxes, I'm paying $700 Canadian. And that's only for one week! I could have held off purchasing my ticket, but last year I did that, and I almost didn't make it to POP. In addition, it cost me $840 CDN last summer. We booked one week before and the flights were almost full and the prices were extremely high. And we were trying to find anything....charter....or American Airlines. Nothing was left on American Airlines.

Have a great trip!

palmas

Jan 7, 2002
Thanks everyone.

We have dealt with Selloffvacations.com in the past. They have leaving July 14 from T.O. for 374.00 ( 2 wks ). What I am trying to do now is, book the 2 wks and a 1 wk after the 2wk return date. If I could do this, then it would end up being cheaper. Who knows. I'll call today.

Maryanne. Thanks for the feedback. What airline takes you from Miami to Pop? What is the difference flying this route in comparison to a direct flight (charter) from T.O. We will be bringing some extra things with us for our new house. I noticed that the charter flights out of T.O. were not a problem with customs. Smooth short flight, pick up luggage and go. Does the Pop airport check things more with the American airline companies?

Thanks for any help
Palmas

maryanne

Mar 16, 2003
difference

Big difference in weight restrictions between chartered airlines and American Airlines. With a chartered airline, you are only allowed 2 checked bags for a total weight of 22 kgs. Not much! If you are overweight, you'll end up paying some crazy fee like $5.00 per kilo. It really adds up! And the carry-on I think is only 5 pounds. With American Airlines, you're allowed 2 checked bags for a total weight of 140 lbs (70 lbs each bag). Much better! And I think the carry-on is 30 lbs. If you have any extra baggage, they have flat fees. I think it's about $100 CDN per extra checked bag. But it's best to call American Airlines and find out.

From Miami to POP, it's American Airlines.

Oh, on the plane, the airline staff will hand out a white form to fill out. Don't bother. It the form that asks how much electronic equipment you're bringing into POP. In over 3 years, no one in Customs at POP has asked for it. All they want is your ID and the $10 US departure tax form. You'll need to purchase one in POP (it's at the customs area where the cambio is).

When I pick up my bags, I throw them on a cart, take out my Canadian passport. I flash it by the agents standing just by the door, and they almost always say in spanish "she's Canadian, let her go". Only once they tried to open my bags, and as soon as I handed them my passport, they literally halted everything, and let me go. Walk right thru like you know what you're doing, and no one will bother you.

Good luck!