Residence for Officials

Jim_Canada

May 27, 2003
Can anyone tell me where the officials will be staying, and whether they will eat at a place set up for the games, or at public restaurants.

Thanks

Jim_Canada

May 27, 2003
I am a baseball official going to the Games but have not received any information. My doctor has asked me questions about where we will be staying and eating, to determine what immunization is required.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Hi Jim,

I would guess at the Pan American Village.
They have their own food outlets, facilities, cooks etc.

I would have assumed someone would have informed you by now if you are staying in the village?

Sorry, I don't have any other info right now.

Jim_Canada

May 27, 2003
Thanks Robert,

Any idea who I could contact with the Games to ask for details? Do you have an e-mail address?

Officials

Actually the Sport body in Canada who is sending you to officiate should know where you are staying. Contact either Baseball Canada or Softball Canada depending on the discipline you will be officiating at.
I know a lady who is going to officiate at the Ladies Softball venue and she apparently has all her information.

Jim_Canada

May 27, 2003
I have been dealing with Baseball Canada and they did not have any information I will try again. Thanks

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
As For Immunizations

Jim_Canada said:
I am a baseball official going to the Games but have not received any information. My doctor has asked me questions about where we will be staying and eating, to determine what immunization is required.

Your doctor must not be aware of Health Canada/External Affairs and the CDC's rather complete advice sites as to what you need.

Since you are in the capital you can skip malaria treatment in advance unless you are paranoid. Dengue exists but there's no vaccine so use DEET.

Other than that the best advice is to make sure your polio is up to date (a new shot not a booster - in fact they don't even do boosters now), and also Hepatitis A and B.

Regrettably you haven't enough time for the full B series which is 3 shots at 0,1 and 6 months but you can start with the first 2 before August.

A is usually included with the B shots (e.g. TwinRix) but you can get Hep A vaccine alone or get immune globulin good for the time you are there and offering almost instant Hep A immunity. Since Hep A is transmitted by food and water and poor sanitation this is a must.

B is advisable. If you have sexual relations it is mandatory.

And of course tetanus, diptheria and routine immunizations should be current. you don't need Yellow Fever or others like Cholera or Japanese Encephalitis.

There is also supposed to be a new Cholera oral vaccine that offers partial immunity (full immunity to some people I guess is a better way to say it) to E Coli - food borne bacteria that can give you the trots.

You may want to bring ( if you have a drug plan) Ciprofloxacin 500 mg. X 10 (2 a day , 5 days) to treat "turista" though it is cheap and no prescription is required in the DR, and also buy generic Imodium (Loperamide) in Canada like Shopper's Drug Mart brand as name brand Imodium is expensive at a pharmacy in the DR compared to the generics.

General advice is try a day on loperamide and clean water (ginger ale etc.) and if the 2nd day is still bad start the Cipro. Taking antibiotics prophylactically is not recommended, e.g. takign them to prevent turista.

Bactrim/Septra and penicillins and cephalosporins are NOT recommended for turista due to resistance.

Marc

Jan 1, 2002
www.haugen.ca
Information

I have a friend that is the top ranked female in Canada in the racquetball venue. Team Canada can't even get information for her on transportation, ticket costs, accomodation, etc... Her parents have actually cancelled their plans to go watch her play given that they can't get any of this basic information...I am not at all surprised that nobody can give this official a straight answer.

Crazy,

marc

Jersey Devil

Bronze
Jul 5, 2002
Upper left hand corner of this page

is where you can find "user cp".

I think that is what Armchair_QB is

referring to.

Gordon Downie Dittos,

EIB