plaza lama!

bochinche

Bronze
Jun 19, 2003
...went into plaza lama (winston churchill/27) this evening to pick up a box of cd-rs.
plaza lama has never been known for its quality and it's well known they re-sell refurbished electronic equipment, etc., but it has always been known for its good prices.
the price of my box of cd-rs has gone up from rd$108 (three months ago) to rd$230 (they did have cheaper ones, but i've bought those before only to find they are very dodgy). the hike was not totally unexpected.
i was surprised though at many of the other price rises, also i noticed there was no air conditioning (it was almost as bad as plaza central). lo and behold, just as i noticed that, the electricity went out and we were left in the dark for ten minutes.
electricity cuts are rarely surprising, but i thought ten minutes in this large "department store" was.
when i made the comment that even plaza lama seems to have problems, i was told that all the money that goes in to the till, ends up going straight to the central bank.

i don't know if you have all seen that excel file that is going round the e-mail circuit, the one that lists the top 100 debtors of baninter. the list that features julio hazim in, maybe five of the top ten, but what i didn't see anywhere was plaza lama - so why is all their money allegedly going to the central bank?
to that i was told that the lama family has managed, through the use of their name/reputation to keep their names out of the media's way and have not featured anywhere on any baninter debtors list.

i do believe many companies borrowed from baninter and of those, there is no reason at all to connect them with any scandal, but is plaza lama one of these companies? is it in a lot of trouble?
did all of you know this already, but didn't bother to tell me?

DCfred

Jun 19, 2003
Do not despair for the Lama Family.

As with other scandals of the past, like the National Lottery Scam of five years ago, this too will fade away. The fact that the government will cover the Baninter losses 100% means that they wants to mess to go away. Sure, they will parade a few people around now. But before you know it, there is a new scandal and everyone forgets about this one.

Sure, many companies took legitimate loans from Baninter, but the question is: who bothered to repay them? Corruption has develped into a fine art in the Dominican Republic. El macuteo has evolved into harder to prove transactions. Here is the scene:

"Sr General Barigon, como usted explica esa suma multi-millonaria? A, pero eso fue un prestamo. "...y porque no lo pago?" ay, usted sabe como son las cosas....

Last edited:

FRANKY R

Jul 11, 2003
SAD INDEED

WOW, It is so sad to see this country become nothing in a couple of days, just because some deep pockets mother f......rs felt they could do whatever they wanted to.

It reminds me of the old saying "ingnorance will kill you" or simply put "what you don't know can kill you"

That's why most people I know say that the best country to live in, if you have money is the D. R. because you could pretty much buy your way out of anything. Including jail.

It's just very upsetting.

franky

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Dont feel sorry for the Lamas

I just visited the new, yet unfinished Lama penthouse at Torre Del Conservatorio, a sprawling 600 sq. mtr. marble emporium with perhaps the greatest view in DR. All the way at the 25th. floor, which feels more like 40 floors, you can see the entire city of Santo Domingo and even Boca Chica.

Right in their back yard is the multimillion Mormon temple, which looks even more impressive from the heights. The Mormon place is more expensive than I originally thought, because what you see from the fron gate is not enough. The rear building is made of one of the most expensive wall materials. The rear gardens are incredible.

The Lama penthouse right from the balcony has the old Zoo garden with beautiful trees and panoramic views of the caribbean. The hundreds of towers rising at Avenida pedro Henriquez Urena, Naco and the rest makes looks like a South Beach view. They got this penthouse for the bargain price of US$500,000 because they bought before the tower was up.

This people just get luckier!!!

TW

bochinche

Bronze
Jun 19, 2003
....it has taken over a year since i posted this, plus a change in government........but it hasn't faded away.

....it looks as if i was wrong, there is a reason to connect them with a scandal.

miguel cocco, has to be one of the most respected 'functionaries' of the moment (even though, he is obviously not a well man - look at the physical difference between him now and how he was five years ago), ......and if he says plaza lama is mixed up in a customs fraud, you can be sure there is a lot of truth in it (not that anybody really doubts it).

plaza lama are very short of friends at the moment.......no baninter and no hipolito.

did i hear right?....he's given them until monday to pay up/respond or their doors will be closed.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
bochinche said:
....and if he says plaza lama is mixed up in a customs fraud, you can be sure there is a lot of truth in it.
Plaza Lama was almost closed before by the past Fern?ndez administration accused of evassion of import taxes and duties. They quietly settled the case behind the scene while the now defunct Curacao Trading was closed temporarily until they coughed up the money. Methinks Plaza Lama is guilty... just a thought... that everybody in the business shares.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Smells like the government doesn't have its act together just yet. Since I can remember, its been 'vox populi' that Plaza Lama is not kosher in its import and retail business. Even the Chinese in Bonao know it! I heard that the Attorney General has sided with Plaza Lama. This should have been dealt with privately, and should not become a media circus...ajem, bad for foreign investment...
Personally, I'm sure Plaza Lama can do a lot more for the economy with the 250 million pesos than the government will ever do...

Mirador

Guatiao

El Leon de los Cacicazgos
Mar 27, 2004
Is this family/ store that shady. I was wondering if anybody knows more about the Lamas? I bet there probably one of the richest DR families. I don't know much about the scandel, are there any news reports? What is this controversy all about?

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Plaza Lama

I guess it is by now vox populi that Plaza Lama's recent troubles are the result of tax evasion at customs. This is nothing new, except that whenever a new government comes in, scorpions begin to crawl out of rocks. If they really wanted to they could chase after 90% of businesses in DR, since most are tax cheaters.
But Plaza Lama is not only bad for taxpayers. It is just about the sneakiest store when it comes to customer service. Lama's warranties are as good as Dominican used tires from Villa Consuelo's sidewalk shops. Their delivery service is a "beauty". This "big" store relies upon a journeyman's truck who is over 50 years old and a 5'4" , 110 lb.midget to deliver merchandise as big a refrigerators. Result.....Almost all merchandise ends up with scratches, bumps and missing pieces. They even challenge your intelligence by sending you floor models as new. Their service is slow. There are no low prices. Their merchandise is just as pricey as the most expensive Lincoln Avenue shop. Take furniture for instance. Ilumel, a Lincoln shop has fine Italian leather sofas and chairs cheaper than Plaza Lama's Lane brands. So what's the big deal?
TW

AlaninDR

Mr. Chunky Skin
Dec 17, 2002
Agree with Golo, plus, I understand their financing branch is in serious default with datacentro leading the way.

bochinche

Bronze
Jun 19, 2003
i started this thread over two and a half years ago...but, it has all the major news headlines for february 2006.

....ok. i don't have anything to add about plaza lama, but i think it is a gloat well earned.

bochinche said:
...i don't know if you have all seen that excel file that is going round the e-mail circuit, the one that lists the top 100 debtors of baninter. the list that features julio hazim in, maybe five of the top ten .....

i still have it if anyone is interested.

bochinche said:
.......miguel cocco, has to be one of the most respected 'functionaries' of the moment (even though, he is obviously not a well man - look at the physical difference between him now and how he was five years ago)......

poor sod.

.....and believe it or not, i could have had some 'boch' on sr. gomez. as well.

bochinche nostradamus.