Help with insurance

dreamer28078

Feb 15, 2002
Recently found out that a very dear friend of mine has to have bypass heart surgery. It is costing him about $10000 us dollars. My husband and I have been here for four years now and fortunately we have not have any major health concerns, but with this recent developement I am worried about our health and how we would pay off such large amount of health bill. Could someone please recommend a really good health insurance, one that covers my whole family, and covers dental also. Thank You.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Check the archives for health insurance or medical insurance. There has been a number of threads on this subject. But I doubt very much you will get as broad a coverage as you apparently are seeking. Why would you want dental insurance? Dental insurance is quite inexpensive here compared to the US, and you can get any sort of dental work done.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
There is no "GOOD" health insurance in the DR!

You can buy "International" health insurance from some European & American companies for $5,000 US Dollars and up per year.They include "Air Ambulance" service,which could be important.! We had Seguros Intercontinental where I work in Santo Domingo.That "company" was part of the "Baninter Group"! They no longer exist! We now have "Cegna".They all pay for "Emergency Surgery" and about 1/2 of doctor visits and "tests",up to a pre=determined annual limit.Cost are about 1 to 2 thousand pesos per month.Cris colon

quaqualita

Feb 4, 2002
medical insurance

hi,
my family and I are in Compania Nacional (I think they changed their name lately, I can't remember the new name at the moment). They offer different plans, Plan Royal e.g. covers up to 350.000.- RD$ / year. They also have the "mas vida" plan, which covers 'catastrophic deseases' like heart attack, stroke, cancer, aids, etc (with muc higher cover limits), and with the possibility to get treatment in the US.
We have this medical insurance over the company as a group for all employees, and it costs us about 350 Pesos / month / person + 20.- to cover dentist. It might be a little more expensive as a single person.
Luckily I never had a major case so far, but when I used this insurance for smaller ambulant treatments and dentist I never had a problem.
You can contact the represent of this medical insurance at sabine.mertes@codetel.net.do , I'm sure Sabine can give you more detailed info.
Hope this helps.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Segna, the company that now insures Cris Colon, has a website http://www.segna.com.do/articulos.asp But the information is in Spanish. They have a plan which covers in-country medical expenses, and a plan with Aetna that covers international medical services.

For more info, you can email Robert Ovalles, sales manager, at ro.ovalle@segna.com or fax him at 244-4057.

DCfred

Jun 19, 2003
10K seems very cheap for that kind of surgery.

First any insurance you get for the family will be underwritten, unless you are getting it under an employer sponsored plan. Any treatment associated with a preexisting diagnosis will be excluded, usually permanently. This applies even for non-USA insurance companies, as they always seek reinsurance with a foreign carrier and reinsurers usually demand this. Since you have no mayor health concerns here are some things to check for:

**What is the lifetime maximum? Get at least a million US dollars
**deductible, family deductible?
**what is the stoploss?
**Do they pay for medical evacuations, repatriations, air ambulance?
**Are the payments based on UCRs? UCR means usual and customary and is important, as you may owe anything over this formula. Lets say plan pays $50 for an office visit but provider bills $75, you may be responsible for the difference. Best: try to get a plan that uses UCRs based on US rates.

Always ask for the out of pocket limit or stoploss. For example if your policy covers your family at 80% with a deductible of $2000 and a stoploss of $5000, this means:

you pay first 2K, and when the 20% coinsurance you pay brings out of pocket to $5000, then policy pays 100% for the balance of the calendar year. The most you can be out is $5000.

If treatment is needed for a preexisting condition in an urgent basis and you are able to fly, go to Miami. If you show up at an emergency room federal law requires that you be treated, regardless of your ability to pay and regardless of your legal status in the USA. If you can't pay, they will try to get the money from Medicaid.

Check: www.worldwideassistance.com

Last edited: