What to see/do in Santiago

carcoll

Mar 31, 2003
Hello All DR1-ers!

hope everyone is doing great, especaially my favorite, Hillbilly(you always have great advise for everyone).....
anyway, I am having a family reunion in late August and wanted to know if anyone knows what I should see and visit while in Santiago. I am going with about 15 people that have not been there since Balaguer has left office! Any advice or suggestions is welcome on what we should do or see or basically what we should stay away from!
So please let me know where I should go in Santiago De Los Caballeros....here are some examples.

1-Restaurants
2-clubs/bars
3-hang out spots
4-Shopping
5-Sight Seeing interests
6-anything worth doing or going to see!

Thanks in advance to all of you! Take Care!

chicker

Jan 1, 2002
Hmmmmmmm....not really a trip report

Don't miss a chance to see Hillbilly's workshop, a wholly-owned subsidiary of the "Hillbilly empire." No need to call ahead. You and your whole troop just drop by. ;)
Just kiddin
Seriously, I would find some way to get up to the restaurant at the Hotel Camp David Ranch in Gurabo. It's in the hills to the east of Santiago about a mile above sea level. There's a huge porch around two sides of the restaurant where you can eat and drink and the view of the city is spectacular. Plan to get there in time to watch the sunset in the west and then stay awhile and watch the city "light up." I think it was a Friday night when they had a lounge singer there who was quite good, I thought.
Ask for Rafaelito to be your waiter. He's quite the charmer.
Of course there's the Monument. Any night of the week, it's happenin there I guess. Beyond that, the Santiago regulars can (and I'm sure will) fill you in on what's to do around town.
st louis mike
two-trip veteran

carcoll

Mar 31, 2003
That was VERY Funny Mike!!
Ok, I will make a note of it, I think that is were there is a display of old cars and stuff........I will definitely check out the view and the Monumento.....

Thanks alot!

chicker

Jan 1, 2002
Hey!!!!

somebody help this person out, please.
There's lots more to do in Santiago.
Mind you, I haven't done any of it, but I just know there is.
SLM

carcoll

Mar 31, 2003
thanks Mike

thanks Mike! are you in St. Louis now? just curious..........but I used to live in Santiago as a pre-teen but that was over 10 years ago and haven't been back to Santiago in 3 years. So just wanted to see where the "happening" places are!

chicker

Jan 1, 2002
Well, nobody's rising to the bait here, so

maybe everybody else knows something that I don't.
Are you are sock puppet?
If you haven't heard that question before, don't be offended. People ask it all the time around here.
Well, this is turning into a personal chat between the two of us, isn't it? That will bring out the hall monitors and they'll shut us down for sure.
I am, as they say, living in the st louis "metropolitan area," not in the city proper. In fact, hardly nobody lives in the city anymore. Between 1990 and 2000, percentage-wise, more people left st louis than any other city in the USA. How 'bout that? I am a true hillbilly being forced to live in suburbia in a last ditch effort to achieve marital harmony.
If you have an hour to kill, you can read my novel, "December in Santiago" which I think is still in the Trip Report section. It's about my last trip but there's no info on what you're looking for, you know, clubs, bars, hot spots, whats-a-happening and so on.
Well, now I'm just rambling. OK, I hope somebody will post something useful for you here.
ciao,
mike

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
What you can do is send a PM to Hillbilly (DR1's wise 'old' owl) or AZB (our own wacky Packy:laugh: :p ) they live in Santiago and can help you. Here's one club for you to look into: Francifol Cafe..........there's more places but thats what comes to mind right now. Good luck and enjoy it, Santiago's a beautiful place

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Sorry, don't visit this page very often

There are not a lot of "tourist"things to do but" You can have a group tour of the Bermudez rum factory, just call Bermudez and they can set it up/

You can visit the L. Leon Jimenes cigar factory- call 241-1111 and ask for La Aurora and they can give you a time to come.

If you play golf, you should play Las Aromas just ont he other side of the hermanos Pati?o bridge...

Let's see. You have to eat at El Cafe (calle 3, detr?s del Supermertcado Victoria), at Maroma (calle 15, Los jardines, frente al parque, entrando por Mr. Movie y dando la vuelta), at Cosa Nostra (Sabana Larga esquina calle principal de Oquet), a Nene's (calle Benito Juarez, despues de la cancha, lado izquierda) in Villa Olga, the Pez Dorado is still great and there are lots more. You should visit Francifol, Tribeca and the other hot spots for young folks (Everyone is younger than I am!!!)
\
Eat carne frita at Chitos, go to a Tipico in Jacagua or Rancho Merengue on the Autopista Dr. Joaquin Balaguer.

Take a day and go to Punta Rucia or Sosua.

That help??

HB

carcoll

Mar 31, 2003
thanks Hillbilly, your the best!!! That was very helpful......I read the Listin Diario Digital today and their regular column "En Santiago se comentan", said to go to Fracifol..........

thanks again!