Search Rules Need Revision

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Robert, I believe the rules for the search engine are urgently in need of revision. Either the 4 letter minimum rule needs to be lowered/eliminated, or a number of exceptions must be provided for.

The best example I can give is thread started tonight that included a request for information on shipping a dog. This is a subject that has been covered at length in the past and there is a lot on it in the archives, but a search for information on "shipping a dog" was denied because "dog" is less than 4 letters. I tried "shipping an animal" to see what would happen and got only a 2002 thread on cattle prices.

Likewise questions that have to do with a car. I've had problems in past with other words, as well, but can't remember at the moment what they were.

While typing this I got a brainstorm to try "shipping dogs", and that produced 4 past threads, the most recent in 2002 (although it seems to me the subject was discussed much more recently in relation to AA's rules on transporting dogs). But interestinglyi, in 2 of the 4 threads "dog" was singular.

Would everyone, including newbies, think to try the plural after striking out on the singular?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
The problem is with the search index. If we allow 3 letter words then it becomes huge and the search function very, very slow. I looked at allowing certain 3 letter words, but it just means lots more work for ME, and right now I do not have the time, sorry.