Dominican Drivingnism

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
We all agree that driving in the DR can quite an experience. One thing that really stands out is how difficult it is for Dominicans to line up behind each other when pulling up to a major road (when the access road is wide enough for several cars).

At the Cofresi entrance near Puerto Plata, when you are waiting for traffic to pull out to go on the main highway to go East towards PoP, Dominicans wont line up behind you, they will pull their car up next to you - which of course prevents you from seeing traffic. Now, you can't go, and he cant go (sometimes they go anyway, even if they cannot see traffic on one side), because you cant see traffic on one side of the highway, so the third car behind you now pulls out next to you on the other side. This becomes quite humourous, as the three cars are now blocking the entrance for cars to pull into Cofresi.

I see this happening almost every day, its very funny. I mean, how difficult can it be to line your car up behind the car in front of you? I guess they want a chance to pull out onto the highway before the car that got there first does. It actually gets dangerous because people get pissed off and then try to cut the car off that is cutting in their line when they pull out.

Its one of those Dominican drivingnism that baffle me.

Dec 9, 2002
What do you have to do to get a driving license in DR? Do you have to go through lessons then take a test or what?

I have never driven in DR, and whilst I consider myself to be a fairly aggressive driver in England, it would scare the s**t out of me if I had to drive in a city over there. I used to think when I first started visiting that you would have to drive really defensively to stay safe, but I've totally changed that opinion now - I think you have to drive as recklessly as possible (just like everyone else!) in order to stay safe.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I lived in Boston for 25 years,so driving here is a "Piece Of Cake!"

A friend of mine let me use his Chevy Blazer since he was only in the DR about one week every 3 months.I gave it back,and went with my 1987 Ford Aero Star van! I couldn't drive the way I wanted in the Chevy.I was afraid I would smash it up.My Ford has huge iron pipe bumpers,front and rear! They are called "Defensa" here,and "Roo Guards" Down Undah!They "DEMAND" respect! The day I put them on I became "King Of The Road"! Even the "Publicos" get out of my way! Those that don't have the "scars" to prove it! I have left two cars destroyed in the streets of Santo Domingo! lots of "MotoConchos",even a small truck.I have 6 Quartz-Halogen lights mounted 4 on top,and 2 on the "defensa".At night I look like a huge truck coming at you!I never stop after an accident,just keep on truck'n! One day I stopped behind a bus,one of those "Learn-To-Drive" little truck ran right into my back bumper.Tore it up good! My paint was scrapped! I got out my can of black spray paint,and touch it up on the spot.Just to piss of the "Dominican Driving Instuctor"(Now There Is An Oxymoron!!) He still claimed that it was my fault!
It all comes back to my continuous observation,that the total failure to accept personal responsibility for one's actions is the root of ALL PROBLEMS in the Dominican Republic!!!!!!!
Cris Colon:cool:

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
driving

I didnt find driving in the DR as dangerous as everyone makes it out to be. Some people are a little reckless and you have to watch out for all the damn motorbikes.You just have to pay attention and use your head. I was a little worried that if I DID have an accident that the police would automatically say it was my fault because I am a gringo. But I guess this is one of the things that you have to deal with as a gringo in the DR. The roads on the other hand are deplorable. Any car thats too close to the ground could destroy its front end in a hurry.
Larry

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Re: I lived in Boston for 25 years,so driving here is a "Piece Of Cake!"

Criss Colon said:
It all comes back to my continuous observation,that the total failure to accept personal responsibility for one's actions is the root of ALL PROBLEMS in the Dominican Republic!!!!!!!
Cris Colon:cool:

Not just in the D.R., CC. That's why I left the U.S.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Dominican Babe said:
What do you have to do to get a driving license in DR? Do you have to go through lessons then take a test or what?

I have never driven in DR, and whilst I consider myself to be a fairly aggressive driver in England, it would scare the s**t out of me if I had to drive in a city over there. I used to think when I first started visiting that you would have to drive really defensively to stay safe, but I've totally changed that opinion now - I think you have to drive as recklessly as possible (just like everyone else!) in order to stay safe.
I totally agree with you. I put on my NYC taxi drivers hat on while in the DR and the SOB's better watch out for me!

I just gave my attorney 75- bucks and she got my license done. Forget the other BS!