Can they really sack him for this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 9, 2002
I was talking on the phone with my husband last night and he told me that his cousin, who worked as a waiter at one of the hotels in Playa Dorada, was sacked last week. The reason he was sacked was because he "married a tourist which is against the hotel's regulations".

A bit of background - he had worked at the same hotel for around 6 years, and 3 years ago at the hotel he met a Dutch girl who lives in Canada. They started a relationship, and she has visited DR 5 or 6 times a year since then, sometimes staying at the hotel where he worked, sometimes staying elsewhere. Their relationship was fairly common knowledge around the hotel (certainly his immediate line manager knew of it), even though the hotel had a policy of "staff shouldn't fraternise with guests".

Anyway, around 3 months ago they got married and she is now going for residency. The hotel management have found out about this relationship and have sacked him.

Now I know that everything is different in DR, but can they really get away with sacking him?

Dec 9, 2002
Is that "yes because it's a valid reason" or "yes because they can get away with doing what ever they like" ?

I am slightly concerned because my husband works in a hotel where most of the staff are also aware of our recent marriage. I would hate to think that he too could lose his job just because we tied the knot!

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
He works at the pleasure of the Manager not himself. He can be fired for any reason. He can probably get liquidations and easily another job if he was any good. I don't think there is any "right to work law in the DR" but you would have to check with a attorney. I don't think that there are Sex discrimination Laws either.

Regards

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I am sure he entered her room and probably slept with her. thats against the hotel policy and he knows it well. This is a sufficient reason to get sacked. Don't forget, this guy was not a supervisor or a director of a department. We are talking about a entertainment dept. dancer or a activity dept. employee who makes 150 dollars a month. This guy can easily be replaced by the 100s who are waiting to get in.

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
I would have fired his sankie butt at the first sign that he was fratanizing with the guests.

Dominican Babe,

You seem to be upset with his dismissal. Can you give us a reason why?

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
AZB said:
I am sure he entered her room and probably slept with her. thats against the hotel policy and he knows it well. This is a sufficient reason to get sacked. Don't forget, this guy was not a supervisor or a director of a department. We are talking about a entertainment dept. dancer or a activity dept. employee who makes 150 dollars a month. This guy can easily be replaced by the 100s who are waiting to get in.
Nope we are talking waitor. Lower on the social scale:)

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
The Hotel,"Look The Other Way"! To staff "Stuffing" Touristas!

The Touristas are paying guests! Key word here is "Paying"! The "Sankis/Animation team/bartenders, keep the girls coming back for more! Now when these "Wives,and Girlfriends" come for their one or two weeks and then leave,"No Problem" Their "Sankis"(read "Hotel Employee") can move on to their next "Victim!When they plan to stay in the DR,"Si Problema"!The women are very gealous(as they have need to be) and the hotel employee might get caught by his wife or girlfriend,plying his trade with another "Tourista".So with his wife too close,and potencial problems,they "selectively" imposed the rule! Your husband is probably OK,since you don't live here! Good Luck! Cris Colon

Dec 9, 2002
Tony C said:
Dominican Babe,

You seem to be upset with his dismissal. Can you give us a reason why?
No, I'm not particularly upset, I don't even know the guy. I am, however, concerned because my husband works at one of the other hotels in Playa Dorada and the majority of the staff there know we recently got married. It worries me a little in case he too were to loose his job. I know that life in DR - particularly at the moment with the state of the peso - is difficult enough when you do have a job, I can't imagine how people would cope with no income.

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Dominican babe,

I am assuming by your name that you are Dominican so I see no problems in your husbands's employment future.
If you are a tourist from outside the DR then he should have thought about that before he seduced you.

I wonder how much repeat tourism is lost due to the actions of Sankies and Hotel employee's actions towards the female guests?

Dec 9, 2002
Tony C - I wish I was wherever you are - you'd certainly get a slap!

You shouldn't assume anything. First of all I'm not Dominican, I'm English - the name was chosen just for a laugh when I first found DR1 (had I known I would spend so much time on this site I probably would have chosen something more appropriate).

Secondly, I was never seduced.

Thirdly, my husband is not a sankie.

Dec 9, 2002
Tony C said:
I wonder how much repeat tourism is lost due to the actions of Sankies and Hotel employee's actions towards the female guests?
What about all the repeat tourism that is gained?

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
He is not a sankie????? Puleeeezzzzzz!!!!!!

"Secondly, I was never seduced.

Thirdly, my husband is not a sankie." Dominican Babe.

I can understand the second part but the him being a "non-sankie" is a laughable comment.
Please tell me, is he not an entertainment employee? Maybe I am wrong, is he the general manager of the resort?
I guess not.
My dear, if he is an entertainment employee or worse a waiter or a bar tender, forget it: He is a SANKIE. Not only he is a sankie but he is exactly like the rest of the the resort employees: poor, uneducated (speaking english and french doesn't count as signs of an educated man), statusless in society and certainly always in need of money. Guess who calls whom? Who pays for the calls? who bring gifts? all the same soap opera with different actors.
After writing countless numbers of post on this sankie-tourist interaction some people still don't get it. I guess life is just not meant to be easy on some folks. Some people just don't get it.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
Just a question of judgement I guess. I would think that more women are annoyed than liking it. Unless most of the women are fat pigs that find the attention impossible to NOT to love and cherrish. I often sit in front of Rockys with people having a presidente and see the Fatties walk by with their "Boyfriends" who are always wearing new FUGLY shirt! These SOB's should be shot for even wearing that crap! LOL I just sit there shaking my head while all the other people comment on the flashy new shirt!

I was in Banco Progresso on time waiting to close a small account but had to wait while a Dominican was taking a fat canadian womans money through a wire transfer she was trying to arrange to back her lover on a business deal. Bet she lost her ass on that one.

I just wish that all these women finding the PERFECT love in the DR would post their pictures to make what I say LOOK absolutely right. Where is your pick DB? Am I right or what?

Last edited:

goatfarmnga

Bronze
Jun 24, 2003
Hey DB, Time will tell if your Dom man is real. Some are the "Sankie" type and some may actually have true heart felt love..But time will tell. I wish you the best as it can be questionable.
I have a Domincan man who I met in the US (where we live now) He does not work most of the time, is uneducated, Jealous as all get out...has lived off of me for 6 years in the USA and is bringing me there to live..Yeah I know...Go figure. It takes all kinds! I am in the mood for an adventure.. I love him to death but I am in this relationship for the good or bad..If money being brought home is not the issue then go for it. I find that mine is good at physical labor as that is what he grew up doing in DR, but he is getting older (45) and how much labor do you want to do at 50? His english is good but he can not read/write worth a hoot even after I put him in classes several times..Just does not care to better himself. If yours is uneducated and I mean at the college level..you will find low pay jobs frustrate him and you and tension builds..So just go into it with your eyes open and live and see what develops.
It may cost you $$$$ in the end but if you are happy you only live once and are entitled to mistakes..Which hopefully this guy is for real..Not a sankie as they say! "It is better to have loved and lost than never have loved at all" Sappy as it is.... it is a true statement! I know the guys will love me after this post!! :) :) :) PAM

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
To get back to the original subject, whether they have the right to fire him or not, its very simple:

You mentioned yourself that its against company policy to fraternize with guests. Its obvious that he violated this company policy, well, obvious to me and to the management.

kjdrga

Mar 25, 2002
DB,

Let say your husband did lose his job for this very reason (of course I would hope not) have you discussed what would be the next steps? Would he be relying on your support a.k.a. $$$$$? These are just a couple of questions you should be asking yourself.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Dominican Babe

So you left England to marry a resort worker. Now everyone is saying you married a sankie. Maybe you can clear a few things up for everyone will stop jumping on your back. Answer these few simple questions:

1) Were you staying at the resort when you met him? If yes then did you sleep with him while you were staying there? If yes then how long was he working there before you met him? The longer he was there, the more white woman he slept with looking for money.

2) How many children does he have spread across the DR that he refuses to take responsibility for?

3) When you met him , how much money did he have in the bank?

4) Can he even spell bank?

Larry

edited to add: If you left England for this guy and are worried that he might be losing his 100 peso per day job then you cant blame people for commenting.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.