prevalence of generators at cheaper SD hotels?

rbwac

Jul 5, 2003
I have never been to SD and want to travel there in the future, staying at moderately priced or cheap places in the Zona or in Gazcue--basically as long as the room is clean, has a private bath, and a/c, I'll be happy; tv and pool not as important. How prevalent is it to find generators at these cheaper/moderate places--like the Nader, La Gran Mansion, Mona Lisa, etc.? How chronic are the power outages in central SD nowadays? Sounds like, according to some travel sites, that the cuts are diminishing in length, but is that because in pricier places the generators are merely "masking" the length of the outage? If the a/c is going to be off in cheaper places for long periods of time due to power cuts, I may have to budget more money for lodgings to stay at a pricier place with a generator--so I thought I'd ask the experts here first on whether I will need to do that or not (so I can start saving/scrimping accordingly)!

Is there a general rule of thumb about where in the SD lodging price-scale you tend to find generators, or does it simply depend on the place/vary from place to place? If so, any names of recommendable places in the moderate/cheap range in central SD that you know have generators would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for any help, and thanks for these informative boards.

Last edited:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
La Gran Mansion has a generator but no A/C. There are a couple of others on same street with both.

We always stay at La Gran Mansion and have never felt the need for A/C. It has always been quite comfortable at night.