Transport to Rowing Venue? (spectators)

donnas

Jun 28, 2003
If we stay near Santo Domingo (right now I am booked at a resort a Boca Chica), is there any transportation (shuttles, buses) to get to the rowing venue? Where could I get information on this? I assume a taxi would be very expensive?

Perhaps I would be better off staying on the other side of the island? (i.e. Puerto Plata, Santiago?)

Thanks.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Yes, a taxi would be very expensive, I guess around RD$1500-2000 (US$50-60) one way. I would assume that they will be offering transportation from the Pan American Village to the rowing venue. But this may be only available to participants and officials.

Santiago would be better for you if your only coming here to see the rowing.

We haven't heard anything regarding transportation. Who is going to offer it, pricing, locations etc.

Dolores (DR1 partner) is visiting the rowing and horse riding venues this weekend so she may be able to post more upto date information tomorrow (Monday).

donnas

Jun 28, 2003
Thanks. I appreciate any help I can get. Time is slipping by and we need all the help we can get re transportation and accomadation.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
The good news is that the rowing facility is first class and is finished. Only missing is the completion of about one kilometer of access road and the asphalting of the road.

Recommendations are to bring lots of 30+ sun block, and hats, as there is no shade in the stands.

For lodging, best to stay in Bonao, La Vega or Santiago hotels. The rowing & mountain biking athletes will be staying in Jarabacoa (La Vega). First choice would be to contact Estela Rodriguez at estela@ranchobaiguate.com or reservas@ranchobaiguate.com and see if they have availability at the Pinar Dorado or can suggest alternate lodging. The people of Baiguate will be handling the mountain bike competitions. See http://www.dr1.com/directories/tourism/baiguate.shtml

If not try with the Hodelpa Gran Almirante in Santiago, about half an hour away.

If you will stay in Santo Domingo (Boca Chica is another half hour drive more), you should rent a car because it is about an hour and a half drive. It?s easy driving. Ditto, if you stay in Puerto Plata you will be about the same distance away.

Last edited:

Mary Cranston

Jul 24, 2003
Thanks for the information, but I am still a little confused. Where exactly is the rowing venue? Is it just south of La Vega and north of Bonao on something labeled Sabana del Puerto on my map? Are the rowers staying in Jarabacoa or La Vega? How long is the drive from Jarabacoa to the rowing venue? How long is the drive from Santiago to the rowing venue? Finally, several guidebooks have warned against driving in the DR especially on the highway between Santiago and Santo Domingo--because the driving habits are riskier and the police are apt to stop foreigners. Do you have any thoughts or cautions about the rowing parents driving themselves in the area? Thanks.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
The rowing venue is two kilometers east of the Sabana del Puerto point on the map. We are not an official source, but we understand the rowers will be lodged in the Alpes Dominicanos residential-hotel in Jarabacoa. The Salesianos lodging also in Jarabacoa will also be used, but not sure this is for the rowers or for the mountain bikers that will be competing in Jarabacoa. Could be for both. I would say it takes about 40 minutes from Jarabacoa to the rowing venue, about the same from Santiago. While Santiago is many more kilometers away, the shorter driving time is because of the good road. Jarabacoa road goes up the mountain. Forget what the drive books say about the police. Dominicans are good hosts, and you can expect red carpet treatment from police and most people here. Jarabacoa is a prettier area (mountain resort area). You may still be able to find lodging in Jarabacoa. The driving up and down the mountain is not so bad (if you have not rented a car by now, may be difficult to find one available at this time). But it may be less stressful to stay in Santiago. If you are not driving, there should be small buses that go from Santiago to Sabana del Puerto for real cheap. You need to ask around in Sabana del Puerto. Once in Sabana del Puerto, there should be some transportation to get you the extra 2 kms to the Rincon Dam. The closest place to stay would have been in the Hotel Jacaranda (12 kms away 809 525-5590) but they should be fully booked by now. Regarding driving, if you can still find a car, go for it. The highway is in good condition, lovely views, smooth driving and you will have much more freedom to visit Jarabacoa. Rancho restaurant on the main road to Jarabacoa is good, so is the famous Tipico Bonao on the highway to Sabana del Puerto. For Dominican food. The Rincon Dam facility is brand new and nice. Again, bring hats and lots of sun block.

Be sure to visit the Palmarejo Equestrian Center, also off the same Duarte Highway (see description link in another of these threads). Lovely facility. Designed by the same person who did the Sydney Olympic Center and a Kentucky Horse Park architect.

Last edited:

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Also check out possible lodging in La Vega city. The city is not known for any hotels, but maybe there is such a place. That would put you less than half an hour from Rincon. La Vega is a nice town.