U.S. Currency Exchange

J

Jim Hinsch

You will get a better exchange rate in the DR if changing money at one of the many cash exchanges (for example, RD$16/US$1) but if you plan on changing money at the airport, the hotel, or a bank (RD$14.5-15.7/US$1), you might find a competitive rate in the USA (but it would be tough). I'd exchange just enough for taxi and maybe a drink our two upon arrival at the airport and do any other exchanges at an exchange house, which depending on where you are travelling to, are located everywhere. A resort town will have many exchange house, often multiple per block, while a resort complex (cut off from the public) many not have but 1 or 2, if any.

The bottom line is only exchange money in the USA for convenience. I received RD$16/US$1 last weekend.

Jim Hinsch JimHinsch@CSI.COM

T

TAMMIE

IF I WERE GOING AGAIN, I WOULDN'T EXCHANGE AT ALL. I HAD BETTER BARTERING POWER WITH US DOLLARS. TAKE $100.00 IN ONES, AND $200.00 IN FIVES, AND THOSE AMOUNTS DEPEND ON IF YOU ARE TRAVELING ALL-INCLUSIVE OR NOT, AND DEPENDING HOW MUCH YOU PLAN TO SPEND.

J

Joanne

I agree with Tammie. The next time I go to the DR I would bring all US money--in small bills. The people there appreciated US dollars and will give you a good deal on goods you buy. You might want to bring a small calculator with you for figuring $$ to pesos and vica versa. The resort that we stayed at gave us the same rate as did the bank down the road. $1 (US) = 15.50 pesos.