• Thread starter TiberiusMineola
  • Start date

Literacy in the DR? 84%? 84%??

T

TiberiusMineola

DR1 News reported on July 8 a story from a DR newspaper, announcing that UNDP, some branch of the UN, had found the DR literacy rate to be 84%, in 2001. Permanent residents, could anyone, Dominican or foreigner, say this with a straight face? How does the UN define literacy? Who administers the tests? Assuming that "literacy" means the ability to read any 3 articles [not pictures!] from LISTIN DIARIO, any subjects, then paraphyrase 2 of 3 reasonably accurately, what is the true DR literacy rate? 25%? 30%? Too optimistic? What's your guess? Where is the American "No child left behind" program? File this UN report under "Humor - unintentional".

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Yes, it would be interesting to know how literacy was defined for purposes of the survey.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
It would be funny,if it were not so pathetic!!!!!

Same goes for a large % of inner city students in the United States! They may be considered "Literate" by some questionable standards,used to get the school districts "Off The Hook"! However they are "Functionally Illiterate"! They can't fill out an employment form.They can't do a Tax Form 1040-EZ! Most can't give you correct change back from a dollar! Almost none can balance a checkbook!
If you want a good laugh,at the expense of some Santo Domingo high school students,watch "9X9 Roberto" Sundays on Dominican TV. They have a "Quiz Show" asking the students questions at about a 3rd to 5th grade level.They NEVER get any questions answered correctly!

As you know,you must have a large and continuous supply of uneducated workers in the DR.Otherwise we would have to pay our "Free Zone" workers,maids,nannys,gardeners,drivers,and hanymen,a living wage! In this respect,the educational system is more that fulfilling its purpose!!!

Cris Colon

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
I think that literacy is simply defined as those who can read and write (either you can, or you can't, right?) Although I wonder if they actually made the people read and write, or if they just said, "Can you read and write? Yes? Okay..."

The CIA factbook thingamajig also lists DR's literacy at 85%, which is considered high.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Jane J. said:
I think that literacy is simply defined as those who can read and write (either you can, or you can't, right?) Although I wonder if they actually made the people read and write, or if they just said, "Can you read and write? Yes? Okay..."

You may be right, Jane; that would help explain the high figure. However, in that case I would be impressed that 16% said theywere illiterate since it isn't uncommon to be told what the person thinks you want to hear.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
However they do it it has to be unscientific. Either by asking, which is unreliable as most would not admit to being illiterate. In some places it means you can write your name, no more then that. In any case there is no way the UN bodies can do the surveys themselves so they rely on local government reports which will err on the positive side for obvious reasons.

Chiri

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
Ni la O?

since it isn't uncommon to be told what the person thinks you want to hear.
Am questioning own level of literacy, as am having trouble understanding above sentence...hmmm.....

You're right, Ken, 15% is a high number to admit illiteracy, but not extraordinarily so. There's not the same guilt and shame about it, and life is much more manageable for those who can't read in Quinto Diablo Campo than, let's say, NYC and the non-readers much more "humilde".

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Actually I believe the percentage is right, only that I disagree with the definition they used. Almost all children in the DR since I can remember attend school, and even if they leave after two years of schooling they will have very basic reading skills. And that's how they probably got their numbers. If you can read "mi mam? me ama - mi mam? me mima" you're in. :(

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
math

Well, I dont know about literacy but as far as basic addition goes, several times when I have been in bars on the north coast and have asked for my cuenta they have miscalculated the total....in my favor. If the drinks are 30 pesos and I had two beers I have gotten 50 pesos as the total or if they cost 40 pesos each I have gotten 70 pesos as the total. Sometimes I even saw them using calculators and they still got it wrong ( cant quite figure out that). I thought about pointing out the errors to them but you know what?...if they want me to pay in full for what I have purchased, they can learn how to add.
Larry

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Ken said:
Yes, it would be interesting to know how literacy was defined for purposes of the survey.

There are many definitions of literacy. I find this one is most simple and acceptable. ?The ability to understand and employ printed information in daily activities at home, at work and in the community - to achieve one?s goals and develop one?s knowledge and potential.?

I find incongruous the rate of DR literacy being 84%, if married to the above description. Because if literacy in the DR were to be defined and performed as above, the country would not be in the calamity it is in now.

Kens statement does entertain the thought of how literacy is defined by the UN. What is the lowest common denominator?

Regards, PJT

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Here is an interesting summary from the nationmaster.com website on literacy in the DR. Note that literacy is defined as persons "persons age 15 and over can read and write."

The percentages in the 80s still make no more sense to me than they did when this thread first started.

This is a very interesting website. Near bottom of linked page, you can click on links that will give you similar info on health, crime, military, people, etc., etc.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I agree with the basic premise: Doubt it!

Of course there is not an 85% literacy rate in the DR. 40% might even be high.

However, the UN prints what the Dominican government says it has, and no government is going to admit its own faults and the general ignorance of the population.

Since there are some "statistics" on how many children are in school, I believe that PIB's point might be on the right track.

How many of you hasve sat next to an adult Dominican on an airplane and been asked to fill out his/her Immigration and Customs forms? Because "I can't find my glasses?"

In this country of 8 million, there are 4+ million under 20 years of age. That leaves 3+ million "adults". They print less than 400,000 newspapers a day, according to one number I have heard. Just ask those around you if they have read today's paper.....

Sad but true,

HB

Last edited:

andy a

Bronze
Feb 23, 2002
If the DR has a literacy rate of 84%, the word "literacy" can be dropped from the dictionary like other victims of political correctness re-education babble-speak.

As Ken suggested, even 15% might be optimistic for a strict interpretation.

Rather than use "percent" literacy, I suggest a different scale of 0 to 100. If everyone were totally literate, the rating would be 100. If everyone could read and write, but only in pidgin Spanish (or whatever), the rating would be 50. (If any professional educators out there decide to implement this system, remember to call it the Andy scale).

By this scale, I would rate the DR at about 30.

The reason for the DR's poor showing is obvious - education simply isn't taken seriously. In fact, the most serious I have seen it used was as an excuse (Dominicans are world champs at this) for not doing something else, such as taking a trip. All of a sudden, they HAVE to be in school. Any other time, cutting school is no big deal. It seems that scarcely a week goes by that any given student is not out of school for at least one day - despite the fact that their school is only half a day anyway.

For those who think that the DR is going to change in their lifetime (or that of this generation of children) - it ain't gonna happen.

andy a

Bronze
Feb 23, 2002
Despite the inferior nature of the schools, the dropout rate is very high, certainly above 50% as a first estimate. It might even be as high as 84%.

Upon further consideration, I'd guess about a 75% dropout rate.