Date Palm Grove question

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
I travelled up the road to Sabana de la Mar (above Hato Mayor) and came across a HUGE (what I think is a) date palm plantation - THOUSANDS of them for several kilometers , on both sides of the road, as far back as I could see. Early in the morning , it was a very peaceful place, and the mists were hanging in the air. Judging by their age, they must be 50 years+ in age, but not one sign of fruit anywhere. Every tree is at least 50 feet tall, with the trunks covered in ferns.

Can anyone tell me about this place, as in was this a failed experiment, or a Trujillo project, or what?

If you want to see a truly beautiful spot of La Republica, take a drive early one morning and see for yourself (just don't go in a Honda, as the road is a little rough in places). It is about 90 minutes from Santo Domingo, and is located about 7 or 10 km before you reach the end of the road at Sabana de la Mar, or you can take the ferry across from Samana.

Gracias.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
You do not know what you did to me this morning with your lovely description of the palm plantation. I was getting on with some work due this morning and then read your mail. Immediately dropped everything, made a cup of tea and went outside to look at the ocean, hear the birds wake up, see the sun rise through the mist and just enjoy the surroundings.

We do live in a beautiful place! And the customer waiting for my work, is going to get a very Dominican excuse this morning.

Jersey Devil

Bronze
Jul 5, 2002
Gringo Carlos

What are you trying to do ombe?

I had just put the finishing touches on my September

itinerary when I read your post. Now I have to map out

a new route.

Thanks for the Vision,

JD

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
Those date palms are owned by Mercasid. The project is called Induspalma Dominicana. My uncle used to manage that project for the company and summers there were great. It's probably 4000 acres, pretty damn big to me. After Hurricane Georges they left them alone, due to the time it takes for the palms to grow back and it wasn't profitable to wait any longer. They had oranges growing there too but Agrodelta also had lots of orange groves there next to the date palm plantation. They also have an even larger project outside of Monte Plata and they're self-sufficient in regards to materials needed. Everything gets extracted from the date palms and whats left over is used as fuel for the extraction plant's generators, then the ashes from that are used as fertilizer. My uncle got moved there to manage that project and another uncle is the one in charge of the electro-mechanic department, those palms are huge, about 40-50 ft tall. Don't get too curious though (like I did) and actually touch the trees, the bark will cut your skin like a knife:hurt: .........

Oh yeah, the town is called El Valle.

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
This project was started

As a result of a symposium on the possibilities of edible oils being produced in the DR, held at ISA< the Instituto Superior de Agricultura, a long time ago--20? 25 years ago?

Unfortunately for them, this was just befor all the negative reports about the effects of palm oil on the heart started to come out and all the bad news about how dangerous palm oil was for human consumption. It was banned in the US soon after, but Never here!!

Mercasid, the old Manicera (peanut oil) did this project to bolster its supply of edible oils. Prior to this they had stopped supporting Dominican farmers that grew peanuts and started importing crude peanut oil for refining. (I think this was during Jimmy Carter's time, and supposedly at the suggestion of economist Bernardo Vega, who just happened to have contacts that sold peanut oil, or so the talk goes--maybe Golo knows more?)

What they do wiith the oil is anyone's guess. It is only good for animal feed, since not even bakeries are supposed to use it.

I would not buy a bottle of cooking oil from La Manicera at 10? !!!

This is a case of jumping into something before all the news was reviewed.

HB

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
HB,

I usually bow to your superior intellect but this time you are wrong.
Palm oil is readily available in the US in Many products. It is not banned

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Tony C said:
HB,

I usually bow to your superior intellect but this time you are wrong.
Palm oil is readily available in the US in Many products. It is not banned

I "think" you right Tony.

I did a search and couldn't find anything bad about palm oil.

Even found this site that was very entertaining and informative.

http://www.snopes.com/snopes.asp

goatfarmnga

Bronze
Jun 24, 2003
Palm oil..

Hey Robert that snope.com site is good info..Is that where you get your world of wisdom...hummmm:) Interesting stuff in there! Thanks, Pam

m65swede

Mar 18, 2002
Here's some currrent info about Palm Oil.

Some are touting the low levels of trans-fatty acids (the newest dietary scapegoat) as a reason to increase usage of palm oil.

The thing that bothers me is that palm oil contains such a high percentage of saturated fatty acids. If you are going to consume high levels of saturated fats, might as well cook with lard! Lard imparts better flavors anyway. :)

Palm oil link is HERE

Swede

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
To give a little twist to the palm oil controversy, when I was in Costa Rica some years ago, we ate fresh hearts of palm - just about one of just the best things I had in my life. Any fresh or even canned hearts of palm available in the DR?

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Yes Chris. You could find the heart of the Royal Palm (palma real) been sold in the streets, but BEWARE, it is illegal to sell it or buy it! Royal palm, our national tree, dies after the top is cut off. So, pls. DO NOT buy it.

Another choice is to buy pickled at the supermarket. This variety (smaller, but similar flavour) comes in small bags and comes from a variety of palm that keeps growing even after the top is cut off. The proceeds from the sales go to protecting the forrest. Look for it in the fresh produce aisle in any big supermarket.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The palm oil stuff

I just came across an article from 1983 when we had a symposium of forestry.
It mentioned that Padre Aleman-THE economic guru for the DR aristocracy-had suggested this crop...

Palm oil is bad for you.

Palm oil has supposedly been taken out of Pepperidge Farm cookies for that reason. I am not in the States so I don't know. I do know what I read or have read--most of the time..

Coconut water is bad for you, and palm hearts are the same- Yes, I know they are good.

HB