Unwritten Dominican Rules

GypsyGRL

Apr 26, 2003
After I returned from my holiday in the DR, I read my guide book (!!) and discovered some "unwritten rules" that would have helped while I was down there. After discussing them with some friends, I heard a few more.

Things are getting too serious on this board, maybe this will help keep things informative and light.

Some of these rules that I was told were the following:
1. If you agree to dinner and dancing with a Dominican man, be prepared to do more than just eat and dance with the guy or else make your intentions very clear. He assumes that the date will not end on the front porch.

2. If a Dominican man rests his arm lightly around a womens waist, this is a sign for others that she belongs to him.

3. How a woman holds on to a man while on the back of scooter/ motorbike is an indication of their relationship. Arms tight, they are together.

1 & 2 were in my guide book, the other was told to me by a friend. Any truth to these? And better yet does anyone know of anymore?
Let's be informative and fun!

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Add to number 3....you're only holding him tight because you fear for your life. ;)

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
if a girl dances merengue with a guy, pressed like a cuban sandwich then she wants him. if there is enough of a gap between them so motoconcho can pass through, this is a sign she is not interested in him at all but will dance with him as long as he pays the tab.

If you make eye contact with the other motorest in an intersection then you automatically lose the right of way.

if a dominican girls say " we can be friends if you like....' that mean you can pay for her as long as she likes but non of your body part can come in contact with hers.

If she says she has a boyfriend then sex is out of the game, better learn to live with a simple BJ.

When a girl say, I will call you "en un dia de esto....". forget it. she will never call.

If a dominican says "horita' this could mean anywhere from 2 hours to 3 weeks.

If a girl says she lives with her aunt, prima or friend, she is a cuero (hooker).

If her phone rings more than 3 times in 5 mins, she is a hooker (cuero).

If you are a tourist and she goes out with you, she is a cuero.

If you met her in kelvin carwash, she is a cuero.

am I off the subject?

Ok, I will behave. bye

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Gypsy GRL

Your Rule #1 applies to any man in any country. Unless you want to pay for you own dinner and buy your own drinks. Do you think you let men buy you dinner and take you out dancing as a favor to them or something?

Larry

Last edited:

roca

Jun 23, 2003
What kind of scum bags are you planning to date? Anyone that
has to do with a scooter is a big CHOPO. Just watch out for these guys.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
GypsyGRL said:
After I returned from my holiday in the DR, I read my guide book (!!) and discovered some "unwritten rules" that would have helped while I was down there. After discussing them with some friends, I heard a few more.

Things are getting too serious on this board, maybe this will help keep things informative and light.

Some of these rules that I was told were the following:
1. If you agree to dinner and dancing with a Dominican man, be prepared to do more than just eat and dance with the guy or else make your intentions very clear. He assumes that the date will not end on the front porch.

2. If a Dominican man rests his arm lightly around a womens waist, this is a sign for others that she belongs to him.

3. How a woman holds on to a man while on the back of scooter/ motorbike is an indication of their relationship. Arms tight, they are together.

1 & 2 were in my guide book, the other was told to me by a friend. Any truth to these? And better yet does anyone know of anymore?
Let's be informative and fun!

What sort of guys do you plan to hang out with?

These rules change depending on if he works in a resort or works in an office.

Or another way of putting it, if he has a motorscooter or car...

Indie

Bronze
Nov 15, 2002
ON DATING DOMINICAN MEN...

4. If he burps Brugal in your face, it means he likes you.

5. If after kissing you passionately, he asks if you can make mang?, it means he's thinking of marrying you.

6. If he asks you to be his bitch, it means he loves you.

7. If he punches you in the face, it means he's unhappy.

8. If he.............OH, LET ME STOP!!

OK, seriously. Um, GypsyGRL, I seriously tried to think of some "unwritten rules". However, as a Dominican woman, and after having dated Dominican and a few men of different nationalities as well, it's been my personal experience that there are no real "rules" - - written, specific, or otherwise (implied), in reference to dating Dominican men. There might be some slight cultural differences between or among them, but men are men, and Dominican men are no exception.

When it comes to dating, try not to succumb to anyone else's personal or cultural "rules". Just be yourself, enjoy yourself, and have fun. Dominican men are people too, and dating them should have nothing to do with applying or following rules based on their nationality. If he says, "Excuse me while I go to the bathroom", it means he wants to go to the bathroom. See?

My opinion, in all fairness, take it or leave it.

-Indie

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
[B]AZB[/B] said:
If a girl says she lives with her aunt, prima or friend, she is a cuero (hooker).
I am confused.

I totally agree with Indie. People are people all over. And I am sure there are plenty Pakistanis that are smart, nice and sensible people despite my experience so far. ;)

GypsyGRL

Apr 26, 2003
You guys are too funny!

Anna Coniglio said:
Add to number 3....you're only holding him tight because you fear for your life. ;)

That would be my reaction! Thanks Anna! And thats what I thought it would mean! And I don't hang around with any type of guys (just for the record!!)

First off, I am not looking to date any guy, just thought I'd see if anyone else knew of anything like this, you know, all in good fun (AZB, you'll notice I didn't say clean;) !)

Also, Larry, when a "gentleman" asks me to dinner, I do not automatically expect to have sex with him! If he can keep my attention thru dinner, the date will continue with drinks in a quiet lounge or dancing depending on the person, if he can get me drunk enough...... just kidding!!:cool: The sex part is not automatic! I don't care what country you hail from. If sex is all a guy is looking for, there are professionals out there!

What else can I say? The rules are different from country to country. sometimes they are very subtle, sometimes they are not!

Also thanks AZB, that is exactly the info I was thinking of. Anyone else?
Come on let it fly!:devious:

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
"I totally agree with Indie. People are people all over. And I am sure there are plenty Pakistanis that are smart, nice and sensible people despite my experience so far." PIB

You need to get out more, there is more to life than book stores and libraries.
tell me this: how many hookers do you know personally?
let me guess, zero?

GypsyGRL

Apr 26, 2003
Not sure how to respond.......

You need to get out more, there is more to life than book stores and libraries.
let me guess, zero? [/B][/QUOTE]

Not real sure how to respond without getting roasted. This was supposed to be a light FYI thread, but I guess not.

AZB - you're the guy with all the "class" right? How many serious dates do you screw the first time your out with them?? and if you do get a piece of the action, what do you think of the "lady" the next day?
I'm all for a piece of tail when the time calls for it and with the right person, however, sometimes you would like a little mental stimulation over dinner!
I like my books so I'm not getting out of the book store just yet! And I know several "hookers", would you like their numbers, although the way you talk I would not think they are your type, the ones I know are brainless,yet well endowed.

And Pib, this was just a lark, I'm not looking for love but I did find things a little different from what I'm used to in Canada (yes I do get out of the library and book store once in a while!)
Thanks for the info.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Hi GypsyGRL

I am all for having platonic relationships and going out to dinner with my female friends and enjoying their conversation. I have had good friendships with women in the past that I would never want to jeopardize by having sex with them. When I go out with these friends though they pay their own way. Actually its more like I pay sometimes and they pay sometimes. Reading your rule #1 though I got the impression that the man was paying for you all night. Maybe I was wrong as that part was a little vague. If you are going out with men and allow them to pay for everything all night then I feel that you cannot be surprised when he expects the evening to develop into something more than a kiss on the cheek. If you just want to be friends then let him know and pay your own way. Thats what I meant in my original reply. Dont you agree?
Larry

GypsyGRL

Apr 26, 2003
Re: Hi GypsyGRL

Originally posted by Larry (ILoveDR)
I am all for having platonic relationships and going out to dinner with my female friends and enjoying their conversation. I have had good friendships with women in the past that I would never want to jeopardize by having sex with them. When I go out with these friends though they pay their own way. Actually its more like I pay sometimes and they pay sometimes. Reading your rule #1 though I got the impression that the man was paying for you all night. Maybe I was wrong as that part was a little vague. If you are going out with men and allow them to pay for everything all night then I feel that you cannot be surprised when he expects the evening to develop into something more than a kiss on the cheek. If you just want to be friends then let him know and pay your own way. Thats what I meant in my original reply. Dont you agree?
Larry

First Larry, Not my rule, it was published in "the Roughguide to the Dominican Republic" which was why I asked if there were any other thoughts such as this. It surprised me because yes to a point everyone who dates is like this. But if I am serious about a guy then I would not sleep with him the first go around.

Second, yes I agree with you. I also have male friends and when we go out I always pay my own way and if its a special occassion ie: b-day or something, then I will pick up the tab. Also if I was to ask a guy out to dinner, I expect to pay for everything. If he asks me then it is his treat. If you go dutch - then you are not on a date you are buddies going to dinner.
Sex is not automatic, what if the date is a dud! You know the type where you can't wait to get away, I am not sleeping with the guy just because he bought me dinner.
Also if I'm on the prowl for a brief encounter, I head to a club, check out the buffet and take my prize home (it's much cheaper!):cool:

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Escott said:
Smokin... How do you feel about loud, fat, ugly Americans with hairy backs...? LOL
I don't know any. :)

AZB,
I know many, many women who live with a friend (or relatives) and were not invoved in "the trade". Moi-m?me included.

Generalizations galore.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
"You need to get out more, there is more to life than book stores and libraries.
let me guess, zero?"

Gypsiegirl, that was a post directed towards PIB, not you. So cool it please.

Oh PIB, if you come to the 18th meeting then I will introduce you to the other types of women whom I am talking about, you know the ones with ringing cell phones who live with their primas, tias and amigas. Just to get a better idea of the women that I am talking about, the ones who come in contact with tourists (not the ones you know.... I am sure).

ltsnyder

Bronze
Jun 4, 2003
www.x3ci.com
Oh please do tell . . . . .

AZB said:

Oh PIB, if you come to the 18th meeting then I will introduce you to the other types of women whom I am talking about, you know the ones with ringing cell phones who live with their primas, tias and amigas. Just to get a better idea of the women that I am talking about, the ones who come in contact with tourists (not the ones you know.... I am sure).

Where does this girl live? A cell phone huh? sounds like a classy girl, can you pm me the number? Are they in the Sosua area? Even if they are in Santiago, I'm still curious.

-Lee

Apr 26, 2002
AZB said:
If you make eye contact with the other motorest in an intersection then you automatically lose the right of way.
This may not belong in the Venus/Mars section, but it should be permanently added to the Dominican drivers' manual (as if there is such a thing). It seems to be law.

Pavan

Jan 18, 2002
Rule is simple!!

I have just one rule.

A chick with a cell phone which rings 3 times and conversation completes a total of 9 minutes air time.................they just GOT to be f_cked before the sun comes up.

Even if they speak English and can spell the word No!!!

:cool:

diablorojo

I look better in pink...
Sep 7, 2003
Quality girls in the DR play very hard to get! Again, it depends what kind of people you associate with there....as for Dominican guys its the same thing, there are those with education, who dress well...very European......Just don't stereotype everyone according to the opportunist whores(both male and female) looking for tourists.....Thats why you guys get bitter at times.....its because of the people you end up meeting!