To Incorporate or Not to Incorporate

JoanneH

Feb 1, 2003
For the purpose of minimizing income tax... Should a new resident who is working on contract (not a salaried employee) for a North American company register a corporation or take the income in their personal name?

In Canada, most people who are working on contract register or incorporate a company to benefit from the low income tax bracket under which "small business" are classified. Claiming the income as an individual usually results in the highest taxes.

How does this work in the DR?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
this cannot be the right answer

But my first thought is

Stay low and under the radar and take your money and get out of Dodge....If they don't know, they can't get it...

Depending on who you are working for, the expenditures for your salary could be put under "Constructions costs" or something silly...

Of course, if you are going to be here for a longer period of time, you would probably be better off as a corporation, since that way you can file a losing profit-loss statement for three years....legally...

HB

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
Joanne,

I am working on this as well. I sent you a PM, I'd love to talk with you by phone about this.

Adrian