Joining Clubs & Associations

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Having spent some 11 years in this country now, had my Residencia, Cedula & other legal requirements for many years & have even aquired my Driving Licence, I now wish to join some clubs & associations to put something back into the country I love. I consider myself a Dominican now & hope that those around me do too.

What are my LEGAL rights for joining such Clubs & Associations? Are there any legalities I have to conform to or is my Residencia sufficient? Are there any discrimitary practices I should be aware of that would preclude me from joining any such organisations &/or am I likely to have to pay higher "Joining Fees"? I have heard of some forms of discriminations being aplied to "Extranajeros" even though they HAVE got Residencias which I understood entitled them to "Everything a Dominican is entitled to except the vote". Is my assumption correct or are there areas of discrimination allowed - IN LAW!!

A response from the "Legal Beagle" would be MOST welcome putting the LEGAL situation, but responses from people having had experiences in these matters would also be appreciated. Come on HB, JH, Andy etc. I look forward to your respected & valued input!! - Grahame.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
What sort of clubs/associations are you thinking of, BushBaby? Organizations like Rotary, Lions, etc., are international in nature and I would think their charter would permit anyone to join that meets whatever requirements the international oranization might have established.

Political organizations would probably be out of reach because the residencia doesn't give us the right to vote.

Church groups are probably happy to have another member who is willing to work.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Like Ken said

And I know that the Golf Clubs do not discriminate, well in your case they might....

But Santiago, Jarabacoa and the Dominican Golf Federation do not...

The service groups, like Ken said, are open to all. Most will not even ask you if you have your residence...

Look out POP, Bush Baby is rising up!!

HB
With a slight addendeum: POP is known to be a little xenophobic, and I think, but do not know for certain, that the Tennis Club might be "sticky". But that is more gossip than fact and I have never experienced anything but respect and good friendship from the POP elite families...
I often get the idea, that may well have started in Trujillo's time, that it is a case of POP against the rest of the DR....

Last edited:

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Thanks Ken & HB, I had hoped Our Legal Begal might have put a few comments to this by now... Have sent you a PM HB. Get back to me as soon as you can with any thoughts/suggestions you might have. Have you tried at either??? If you ae a member of FedoGolf, what do YOU pay at these places?? - Grahame.

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
Legally, as a resident of the Dominican Republic, you should not be discriminated against just because you are a foreigner. Art. 13 of the Civil Code grants foreigners domiciled in the DR the same civil rights as Dominicans.

From my experience, social clubs discriminate more against lower middle class Dominicans than against foreigners.

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Although it was many years ago, my dad joined the Tennis Club when we lived there. (no cedula, only a visa) He worked at PUCMM which was just UCMM in those days. Maybe the priest helped, I can ask. But it was really so we could go swimming. We were 7 kids.
I remember when my brother cracked his head on the bottom of the pool. Medical care was a whole new story. And of course, we didn't think of a law suit - he was stupid enough to jump in to a 1/2 full pool!
If they let us in, they'll send you an invite!
mk

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Fabio J. Guzman said:
Legally, as a resident of the Dominican Republic, you should not be discriminated against just because you are a foreigner. Art. 13 of the Civil Code grants foreigners domiciled in the DR the same civil rights as Dominicans.

Go for it, Grahame! You have the law on your side.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
As per your instructions Ken - I'll 'Go for it'. I'll report back on what sucess or otherwise I have. Normally I would just have used HB's name & laughed my way in but ........... OK HB, just joshin' ya. Hope to see you next week if not tomorrow night!!! - Grahame.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
I have now "Had a GO" at two of the clubs I had in mind & BOTH tell me that because I am a foreigner I have to pay "Gringo" prices!!

When US $ equaled RD $12.5, paying US $2,000 against a Dominican membership fee of RD $18,000 was 'Acceptable', but now at RD $ 35 - US $1.00. this means I pay RD $70,000 to the Dominican membership fee of RD $18,000!!! I am NOT joining THAT game & on principle will NOT join that club!!

Any ideas Hillbilly? Fabio? Or any other lawyer prepared to take up the challenge??? - Grahame.

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
BushBaby, I assume you explained to them your were a Dominican permanent resident. What did they say to that? That a Gringo is a Gringo....? I need details of what happened exactly. If you do not want to give them on the board, email me directly.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
BushBaby said:
I have now "Had a GO" at two of the clubs I had in mind & BOTH tell me that because I am a foreigner I have to pay "Gringo" prices!!

When US $ equaled RD $12.5, paying US $2,000 against a Dominican membership fee of RD $18,000 was 'Acceptable', but now at RD $ 35 - US $1.00. this means I pay RD $70,000 to the Dominican membership fee of RD $18,000!!! I am NOT joining THAT game & on principle will NOT join that club!!

Any ideas Hillbilly? Fabio? Or any other lawyer prepared to take up the challenge??? - Grahame.

Can you please tell me what clubs? You can PM or Email if you wish to keep it private. Yes, I would like to take up the challange!

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Thanks Fabio & Rob for your moral support (in your case immoral support Rob!!) & interpretted indignation. I will e-mail both of you with further details, names & quotations from the various conversations I had on this matter.

The "Clubs" concerned are the Puerto Plata & Playa Grande Golf clubs. I have been playing at Playa Dorada for some 8 years now, initially as a employee of USC Dominicana (I worked with them for 3 months) then later as a guest/friend of some members. Some 4 years ago I had a GHIN (official handicap number) but as a couple of playing members gave the impression that they would prefer to play without me in the group & I was not too worried about playing on "Club Members" days, I went my own way & played with the people I was inviting down from all over the world (via this communication point - DR1!!).

Because of the business I was brining into the Playa Dorada course, I was allowed to play at greatly reduced rates for 3 years, but when the new administration took over & I was unable to supply my "Official GHIN" or membership details one day, I was pulled off the course & told I had to pay FULL TOURIST rates to play. Hence, I started enquiries as to costs for joining the club as a member.

Firstly, I was told I had to pay US $2,000 & 'IN FULL' with no terms being available (i.e. not able to be spread over 3 or 4 months). The US $2,000 had to be paid WITH the application form. On checking with certain friends who are members, plus discussions with course administrators & some of the caddies I used there, I was told the DOMINICAN Citizens only paid RD $18,000, & this I got verified by having a friend enquire as to how much it would cost him (a Dominican businessman) to join. This enquiry was made some 2 weeks ago & confirmed as being RD $18,000.

So, I decided that I would apply for membership, go down with my completed form & be ready to pay over the RD $18,000 when my application was to be presented to the club committee. That is when the girl in the Puerto Plata Golf Club office told me the joining fee was US $2,000 for 'Extranerjeros'. I mentioned my Residencia, the fact that I had lived here for 11 years, the business I had been bringing into the golf club with tourists I had met on this board etc., & that I knew the cost for Dominicans was RD $18,000. I quoted the element of the law (Article 13 of the Civil Code) that you had mentioned Fabio, so why wasn't I a 'Dominican' with Residencia, Cedula, who had lived here for 11 years etc? allowed the same rates as a local Dominican? only to be told that THAT was the joining fee for Extranerjeros & I would have to pay it!

A bit upset & VERY dissappointed, I went to see the new administrator (a VERY nice man called Sn. Ventura) who seemed to recognise my plight & called the club President on the 'phone. A meeting was arranged for the following day 1.00 pm for the 3 of us to sit & discuss things, but the President didn't show!! Sn Ventura was visibly upset that the President hadn't shown & kept appologising by saying he would show soon & he (Sn. Ventura) would pull him over for a discussion. I waited until 1.45 pm & used the time to talk with other club members (it was club day!) who all confirmed that US $2,000 was the price I would have to pay. The ONLY allowance they would make was for me to put my application in with a letter to the committee, asking for time to pay the US $2,000, say over a 3 or 4 month period. This would then be discussed (& hopefully agreed) by the committee they said, as they were a COMMITTEE, not just ONE man making the decision!!

Due to their negative comments & emphatic "there is NO way you can get round this", I left the club without seeing the President. I have NOT progressed it any further as I have no desire to join a club that dicriminates against foreigners to such an extent! 20 - 25% more than locals .... Okay, I can put up with that - BUT almost 400% more?? No way Jose!!!

Using this as the base, I will e-mail you both with further details of names, plus some specific comments made etc. I do not want to cause any ill feeling at the club - all I want to do is go down to play with my friends from DR1 & Canada whenever they come into town!! If I can not join the Puerto Plata Golf Club at the correct rates for locals (I AM a local!!), then I will join FedoGolf (application is in & I am awaiting a representative to call, but that has been a week already!!) - I just won't be able to take out a caddy as well (FedoGolf rates include cart & caddy is NOT a pre-requisite), which will be a pity for my caddy friends as they won't be getting my tips!!

It should be pointed out here, that I have NOT spoken to any members of the Playa Grande committee, I have only received feedback from Caddies & people who say they know the system down there! It is supposedly exactly the same as Playa Dorada - just a bit more expensive!!! I would consider Playa Grande as an option because that will allow me to play at Playa Dorada at the same rates as local members, & Golf cart is NOT compulsory so I could take the caddies out!!

HB, Fabio & Rob, .... E-Mail to follow - Grahame.

bushpilot

Jan 16, 2004
Hi

I have noted the comments regarding the dual nature of fees charged at golf clubs. I am a South African , have lived here almost 4 years. I joined Fedogolf in SD, which entitled me to play golf at almost all the courses in the country at a hugely discounted rate. This year, the fee is RD$3500 per anum. This means that at Playa Grande for example, instead of pying US$90 for 18 holes, I had to pay RD$1008, (Last week), including ITBIS.

I have never had a problem with joining a club either. I am a memeber at Las Lagunas, they preseted no problems what so ever regarding my residence status. The joining fee was the same as for the Dominicans.

Hope this helps

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Grahame

After re-reading this old thread, I am curious how things developed behind the scenes after your last post here. If you dont mind publisizing it could you update us on what developed Grahame? Also, did you join Playa Grande and if so, did you run into the same obstacles there?

Larry