DEET etc. info.

Kay

Jul 8, 2003
Here is what my HMO sent,
DEET is short for N,N-diethyl-m-toluamide

Med note:
Motor vehicle accidents are the greatestest risk of all.
In DR malaria risk = none in resorts, some in rural areas especially near Haiti. Avoid mosquito bites, and fresh water, and walking barefoot.

Places in US to get these are www.travmed.com
or stores like; Sports Chalet, REI, A-16

for exposed skin, Deet 15-40%, not 100%
Sawyer [timed release 20% - especially for kids]
Ultrathon by 3M

for everything else, Permethrin.
Room spray by Raid House and Garden
my note: also try water in a white dinner plate and add a couple drops of 'Lemon Fresh Joy' dish detergent. Set the dish on your porch, patio, or other outdoor area. Mosquitoes flock to it, and drop dead shortly after about 10 feet of the plate.

for Clothing;
Permanone repel spray
Coulson's Duranon tick spray

Admittedly, I'm bringing Pyrethrin, horse fly spray, same active ingredient. But that's me. :-} K

Last edited:
HMO sent ?

By the time you pack all that stuff, along with your personal hygiene products you will have to pay for additional luggage weight.
I don't know why people think that mossies are any different in the DR than they are in Canada or the USA?

Hell bring a portable fogger as well, be safe.

Kay

Jul 8, 2003
mossies

But i thought after the 26 pound baby story, [see other forum]that everything is bigger in DR. No 5 pound mossies then. OK, I'll be dissapionted.
Really, When you boil it down, i just use the horse's fly spray on everything just like I do at home when new cattle bring in deer flies. I just want to get CA2DR for one glorious week. Still looking for a modest room way outside of town. - k