exporting mabi

corecto

Jun 18, 2003
I would like to start exporting Mabi from from DR into the USA, does anyone know how complicated this process may be or actually what the process of exporiting something like this would be?

Any hints, idea, comment is appreciated.

Gracias.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Just make it there!

Call it "Mabi Del Cibao" We are not talking about anything special here.Mostly "Lemonade"! Don't forget,only Dominicans will know what it is! CCCCCCCCCCCCcccris colon

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Seems to me there are several problems

#1 Is sanitation: Your product would have to be steril, meeting USDA standards, pasturized and with certified contents.
#2 Is going to be scale. You can supply maybe one or two "colmados" in NYC with local production. How are you going to get scaled up to satisfy 1,000,000 Dominicans??
#3 Getting this going would be a major headache...

Good idea, but very complicated.

HB

corecto

Jun 18, 2003
Thanks for the reponse. I understand that this will be a huge task; however, if exporting regulations are not so complicated, I would like to try it. Hillbilly, let's say that I already have suppliers in DR, where do you think I should start? I mean legally.

Also what did you mean by steril and pasturized?

thanks

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Sterile and Pasturized means.............

that you can't pick your nose while you are cutting up the "Limones"! Then you have to "boil" the bottles before you fill them.As I said before,you CAN MAKE "MABI" in the USA! No need to bring it from the DR!Have you ever eaten "San Cocho" in the USA? It was made THERE!Get the IDEA?
"Price Check On Aisle Three"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cris Colon:confused: :confused: :confused:

goatfarmnga

Bronze
Jun 24, 2003
Price check on Isle three.........

Anytime you import foods, fruit you have strict regulations I am sure. Growing up in Florida with the Fly that causes major destruction I am sure they have strict rules to export the fruit mentioned..Probably not worth the trouble..Do they export the Presidente' you DR1er's speak so highly of...as I have not heard of it here..That would be easier I think! :) PAM

Forbeca

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
You can buy a Presidente in NYC

goatfarmnga said:
Anytime you import foods, fruit you have strict regulations I am sure. Growing up in Florida with the Fly that causes major destruction I am sure they have strict rules to export the fruit mentioned..Probably not worth the trouble..Do they export the Presidente' you DR1er's speak so highly of...as I have not heard of it here..That would be easier I think! :) PAM

I had a president yesterday. Not sure about the rest of the country.

goatfarmnga

Bronze
Jun 24, 2003
presidente'

Hey I was trying to say maybe something you do not need to process or have a major factory (Big $$$) involved would be easier to export..I have yet to see a presidente' but am not a drinker since bartending my way through college years ago..I saw enough and had enough drinks to last me awhile! I do enjoy an occasional beer while shooting pool so I will ask for the Presidente' when I can! Hey NYC has Dominican's like crazy..Here in Ga I have met one Dom Doctor and that is it..The locals think my husband is a Black Mexican.."Does he speak Mexican" they say! LOL :) Pam

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Criss...

Maybe I am wrong but I am sure I am not: Mab? doesn't have any limones. Actually it is a mix of water, bejuco indio (don't ask me to translate) and brown sugar. Mix and let fester, er, I mean ferment. It gets bubbly and yummy and goes bad in a few days. He will have to come up with an idea to produce one with a longer shelf life.

BTW, the ones you buy in the supermarket SUCK!

Apr 26, 2002
Thanks Pib, I always wondered what was in mabi. Do you know if it's at all alcoholic?

Didn't there used to be a mabi "factory" in San Pedro de Macoris?

As for stabilizing it for shelf life, seems you'll need a chemist to figure that one out.

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
Isn't that guy Rubio a chemist? He said something about being a chemist on a thread once...........

jose?to

The thread finally snapped...
Jun 19, 2002
The best mab? used to come from El Seybo. Former big-leaguer Cesar?n Ger?nimo once brought cases of mab? to the Cinci Reds clubhouse to celebrate the World Series win.

-Jose?to
I once drank eight mab?es in less than 5 minutes

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
But were they the 16 oz. bottles?????

I drank 4 of those sitting in front of a colmado on c/San Martin.I had a stomach ache,but it was worth it."Dominican Air-Conditioning"!
Cris

gigiren

Dec 20, 2006
Mabi Bark

Maybe I am wrong but I am sure I am not: Mab? doesn't have any limones. Actually it is a mix of water, bejuco indio (don't ask me to translate) and brown sugar. Mix and let fester, er, I mean ferment. It gets bubbly and yummy and goes bad in a few days. He will have to come up with an idea to produce one with a longer shelf life.

BTW, the ones you buy in the supermarket SUCK!
Hello Pib,
This seems like a really old thread but I have been looking for the bark Bejuco De Indio myself. How do I get it?

gigiren

Dec 20, 2006
Hello Pib,
This seems like an really old thread but I have been looking for the bark Bejuco De Indio myself. How do I get it?

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Hello Pib,
This seems like an really old thread but I have been looking for the bark Bejuco De Indio myself. How do I get it?

There's plenty of it on my land north of Azua. You have to recognize it (bejuco indio is a vine like the one Tarzan used to hang from, and yell 'A-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-ahhhh!, or something of the sort, but much smaller). Do you know how to make mab? from bejuco indio? Well, you first peel the outer bark off the vine, to exponse the white inside crust. Then chop the vine into manageable pieces and put them in a pot to boil. Then you strain the vine from the water, and add plenty of sugar. Cool to room temperture and add some mab? yeast (you can also get someone elses mab? that hasen't been cooked or boiled, and pour it into your batch). Let stand at room temperature for three to five days, to allow for fermentation. Refrigerate afterwards. If you're going industrial, then add sodium benzoate, citric acid and/or other preservatives...

azabache

Apr 25, 2006
I developed a taste for mavi many years ago in Puerto Rico--mavi is really great stuff. I have never come across it in the DR though and wouldn't know where to buy it.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Just Look For a "3- Wheeler" With A Wooden Cask On The Front!

Stop the guy and get one!
cccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
that you can't pick your nose while you are cutting up the "Limones"! Then you have to "boil" the bottles before you fill them.As I said before,you CAN MAKE "MABI" in the USA! No need to bring it from the DR!Have you ever eaten "San Cocho" in the USA? It was made THERE!Get the IDEA?
"Price Check On Aisle Three"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cris Colon:confused: :confused: :confused:

Ok Genius, Why are nike shoes, clothes, electronics and many other things made in China when they could be made in the US?

Have you seen how much one lemon cost in the US?
I have seen just one lemon costing about 1$usd with the avg price of 2 lemons for a dollar.

Than there would be labor cost....Where would you pay less?

Good luck correcto