retirement

chiman0624

Jul 15, 2003
As I get closer to retirement, in 2 years, I want to establish residency in DR. No business, just comfortable living among a fantastic people in a great clmate.

When do I have to begin paperwork? Do I need a lawyer there?
How much will he/she charge? Can I stay for a eyar without filing any papers, just to see if there will be a culture shock that i have difficulty handling?

Jim

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Come on a Tourist Card

And see if you like it for living.

Don't sweat it, relax and enjoy. Then, if all goes well and you want to settle down, there are tons of folks that can help you out.

Just make sure you like it first....

HB

Last edited:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Here is a link that gives you quite a bit of information http://www.drlawyer.com/txt/articlesimm.html

You will also find much in the archives, since this subject has come up often. Click the search button near top of page, then do a search for residency.

If you want to work here, you need residency. In the past, many people have lived here without residency, regardless of whether they worked or not, but now the government is taking steps to make getting residency necessary. I would recommend that you start right off getting your residency, thus avoiding any problems later on.

Yes, you should have an attorney assist you. The attorney from whose website I took the above link is also the attorney who answers questions in this section of the board. His name is Fabio Guzman and you can email him at info@drlawyer.com His website is www.drlawyer.com With his help I got both my provision and permanent residency.