customs at santiago airport, no problems!I

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Ok guys and girls, here is a trick to bringing in anything you want in the country without the hassle of the custom officers. I just went through santiago airport customs yesterday with Missing_DR. No I was not traveling but I managed to get inside passed customs to receive my friend. He had brought a DVD player for me from mexico and a digital camera etc. I was afraid he would end up paying the duties as they open up almost all the suitcases on incoming people. Unfortunately my contact (a very low level) got called on other duties and couldn't really accompany us to the check out place instead he told us to have 5 dollars (US) ready in hand and simply hand it over to the agent. My friend didn't have 5 but 10 dollars. It was a piece of cake. You walk up. They try to open up your suitcase and you simply say, "mira" and show your hand with the green bill rolled inside. they simply take it and send you off. They won't waste your time or their own. Time is money and each agent tries to get as many people as they possibly can. Just imagine how much money these agents make in dollars / day?

carcoll

Mar 31, 2003
Thanks!

Thanks for that message, it will be very helpful.......I will be in the Airport late August to receive 8 people who have never been to the country. So I will get them prepared.
One question?
How did you actually get in to look for them as they arrived?
what did you say?

thanks!

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
"How did you actually get in to look for them as they arrived?
what did you say?" carcoll

Connections!!!
Thats why I say, must make friends with important dominicans in this country. Too bad the majority of foreigners mix in with the trash.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
a couple of observations

1) I have been through POP 5 times and have never had a customs official look in my bag.

2) You know, I am still amazed at how blatantly corrupt DR officials are. If I wanted to mule a million dollars worth of cocaine into the DR from the USA, the risk would be over as soon as I would be able to get my suitcase on the plane. All I would need is to have a 5 dollars bill in my hand when I arrived at DR customs and my million dollars worth of cocaine would never be noticed. Think about all the drugs that these officials let pass by them because their eyes pop out at the sight of a 5 dollar bill. Do they care that they are compromising the safetly of their country and the integrity of the offices that they hold? Obviously they only care about themselves. I know that I have heard these stories a hundred times by now and seeing that I plan on living in the DR one day I am going to have to learn "when in Rome...". It just takes a lot of getting used to. Sorry about the rant but it really is amazing, amazing that people just accept this as normal.
Larry

Last edited:

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
We just brought three pc's, a few very hefty UPS's, and boxes full of computer spares and equipment through POP. There was a lot of stuff and 20 dollars was more appropriate. Never even opened a bag.

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
I will have to try that. I think I might put the 10 bucks in an envelope with a "receipt". That way when he opens the envelope to check my receipt he can just take the cash.

carcoll

Mar 31, 2003
no need for that.

Rafael, it seems like there is no need to hide it, no need for the envelope or receipt........if you hand them the $$, that should be fine......I guess.............wow, that is unbelievable...........about 15 years ago that was happening and I thought by now, you didn't have to do it..........

Kay

Jul 8, 2003
and on the way out? What then?

Sounds OK to me. I Wish I had paid the $60 here in US to expidite my passport.

I also plan to leave DR ;-( sad but true.
I hope to be with big burley new friends by then but so far I am SWF traveling alone. What is best to do then. Thanks -k

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
When I will come back next month from USA, I will bring a huge bag of special basmati rice (banned) and a car stereo, amplifier, a dishNetwork satellite decoder, 2 TENS unit (electronics) and some other stuff that can be either taken away from me or I would have to pay a duty. Instead of calling one of my friends to come and help me, I think its cheaper to just hand-over 5 dollars and I will be out in the open in no time. They actually respect a person who pays up instead of following the checking routine. It saves time on both sides.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Why do they ban Basmati Rice?

AZB said:
When I will come back next month from USA, I will bring a huge bag of special basmati rice (banned)

Is it basmati specifically or all rice?

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Many food products including any plants are restricted. When I first came to pop I had a bag of basmati rice with me and they took it away. I bribed them to get all my electronic stuff back but the bastard wouldn't give back the basmati rice. I guess you can't bring back any rice or fresh beans to DR.