DOMINICAN SCHOLARS

H

HIRAM MUNIZ

I NEED THE NAMES OF TEN DOMINICAN WRITERS, PAST OR PRESENT. CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME.

D

DR One

Rafael Herrera German Emilio Ornes Pedro Mir Frank Moya Pons Carmenchu Brusiloff Pedro Henriquez Ure?a Emilio Prud'Homme Ramon Emilio Jim?nez Mario Emilio P?rez Dolores Vicioso

N

Nisalin

Julia Alvarez and also, I can't remember her name but the title of her book is "Geographies of the Home"

M

Mia

The other titles of Julia Alvarez's novels are "In The Time of the Butterflies" (excellent!), "How the Garcia Girls Lost Their Accents", (have not read this one), "Yo" (excellent again), and her latest "Something To Delcare" (haven't read yet, but hear this is also excellent). Julia Alvarez's father was a physician involved in a secretive plot to overthrow the dictator Trujillo. When the plot was uncovered, executions of those involved began. Alvarez's father escaped to New York City with his family. "In the Time of the Butterflies" takes place during the Trujillo era, but is a more personal story of the Mirabal sisters, who along with their husbands, were part of the rebellion against Trujillo. They were murdered as a result, although the official report is that they were killed in an automobile "accident" while returning from visiting their husbands who had been imprisoned by the dictator.