Are there any Dangerous Creatures Animal/Insect to Avoid

Shepsu

Jul 15, 2003
If so are people taking precaution around and inside their homes and appartments etc.

Thanks Sheps

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
There are many many threads in the archives about this. So, use the search button and search for animals, insects, spiders etc. You'll find more than what you need.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
There are not deadly animals in this island.

Disgusting? Yes, we have roaches, rats, and politicians.

Annoying? Yes. Mosquitoes and politicians.

Avoid politicians at all cost. They also pee on your shoes.

;)

Shepsu

Jul 15, 2003
I meant to exclude the human element

Pib

Glad I did'nt bring that one up! As I was trying to avoid raising the "human" element in the question! Boy, politicians are everywhere!

I will certainly take your advise. I keep my eyes on the politicians here! We're about to do some fumigating here in the states, to try and gid rid a some of these nasty pesty and deadly polititions!

LoL

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You must be from California

Tell me Shep: Did you laugh at Da Pib's answer? I know I did.

Best humor on these boards.

Short list of nasties (about the fourth time I do this)

1) Tarantulas: Usually in wooded or leafy areas; they come out in the evenings to feed. They are very timid and will only bite if
cornered. They can jump a bit. You will not see any while here.
2) Scorpions: Live in dark, dank places like under logs or rocks.
Like warm humid environment. If you live in the countryside, just shake out your shoes in the morning.. Don't go feeling around in dark,warm, humid places unless it is your "significant Other".

3) Centipedes: Nasty phuckers that bite like hell and hurt!. All over the place, again damp and warm and dark is their place.

4) Black widows: In 41 years, I have seen just one, in a wood pile in a dank, dark corner of a basement. My son saw one in an inspection hole that had been covered by a cement slab for weeks.

Odds are you will get hit by lightening easier than see any of these, unless you go looking for them.

There are no poisonous snakes, except politicians, on the island.

HB

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Hillbilly forgot one

Shepsu,
Try to avoid the AZB creature. Generally found in Santiago but recently has been spotted on the North Coast. It has a six inch stinger and frequently attacks light skinned females. Males, jews and women with black skin are safe from the AZB creature. Thousands of light skinned women have reported being stung by the AZB creature with no lasting symptoms of effects.

Larry

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
#1 Pest in the DR

Shepsu said:
If so are people taking precaution around and inside their homes and appartments etc.

Thanks Sheps

Don't forget sankies. They infest the board too or at least stories/ questions do.

Kay

Jul 8, 2003
Re: You must be from California

I'm from California,
and i see tarantula's sometimes and Black widows almost everyday even thought this is a desert. But gladly, i avoid politicians and usually lawyers too. Was hoping to see more wildlife in DR as you have a better climate.
Coming to SD in 2 weeks -k

partial
posted by Hillbilly [/i]
Short list of nasties (about the fourth time I do this)

1) Tarantulas: 2) Scorpions: 3) Centipedes:
4) Black widows: In 41 years, I have seen just one, in a wood pile in a dank, dark corner of a basement. My son saw one in an inspection hole that had been covered by a cement slab for weeks.

Odds are you will get hit by lightening easier than see any of these, unless you go looking for them.

There are no poisonous snakes, except politicians, on the island.

HB [/B]

maryanne

Mar 16, 2003
scary!

I have seen plenty of tarantulas during my stays in Cofresi. I stay at one particular small hotel and every evening, you can walk outside to the pool area and find at least 3 huge tarantulas walking around. According to the owner, they live in the gardens along the house wall and every evening, they come out to feed. I'll never forget seeing them for the first time....crawling up the stairs from the driveway. Scared the crap out of me.

Maryanne