Bad Beer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
How come the bottle of presedente I buy in a bodega in NYC tastes nothing like the beautiful beer I drink in the DR? Bottle looks the same but when I drink it it always tastes different and gives me a hangover.Why?? :(

Larry

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Larry,

That is one of the most enduring topics on DR1 next to "Have you seen my Sankie?"
If you do a search you will find that it has been proven that the Persident you buy in NYC is the same pilsner you can buy in the DR. Why the taste difference? Simple. In NYC your not on a nice beach. No Coconut Palms swaying in the breeze. No Domincan Lovely saying: "Aye Si papi Chulo!" under those conditions anything will tatste better.

All in the head dude

Tony C.

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
I think it's what you have in your mind when you drink one, like the pretty girl that Tony mentioned :p ..... It might also have to do with them sending the beer in barrels to a brewery in some place called Reston, Virginia.......they have to bring the alcohol level down:confused: and before they can get a new shipment, the beer's sold out in the US

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
[B]Jon S[/B]. said:
It might also have to do with them sending the beer in barrels to a brewery in some place called Reston, Virginia.......they have to bring the alcohol level down:confused: and before they can get a new shipment, the beer's sold out in the US
What?! :confused:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
In South Florida

As opposed to the rest of that state, you can win a case of Presidente on a radio station call in show.

Near Ft. Lauderdale, in a place called Weston, we bought presidente in the local Publix...And it tasted the same, ice cold and that lovely burn down the throat, the little "Burp!" that goes with a good, long chug...oh man it was heaven on earth....No man, that's what John Belushi says about Johnson Brats....oh well they go together....

Anyway it has to do with the "ambience"

HB

DR_DEFENDER

Jan 8, 2002
Ok...ok, here is the deal so we can put this subject to rest! What we need to do is have a beer purchased in the DR and a beer purchased in the states and blind fold a couple of people and see if they can tell the difference. We could have a couple of people do this and see what the results are. It's kind of hard to tell by drinking one when you go the island and then drinking one when you come back to the states. So, when someone gets the results just let us know!!! We'll be waiting........

DR_DEFENDER

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Its the same beer bottled in DR to be shipped to USA. I already did a blind taste test and the subject couldn't tell which was which. The only reason I can think of is that the beer sold in DR is more fresher than the ones sold in NYC bodegas.

Apr 26, 2002
In one word - "Freshness"

Beer has a shelf-life, and some beers age less well than others. Presidente, it seems, does not store well. Perhaps it is not laden with preservatives and stabilizers like Budweiser!

Also, think about the temperature variations as it is bottled in Santo Domingo, placed into a swealtering cargo ship hold, unloaded in some cold climate, placed in a warehouse, distributed in a truck, stored in the back of the bodega, placed in the refrigerator case, etc. Temperature consistency is important in maintaining original flavor.

All stories about the beer being "different", bottled in Virginia, brewed in Pittsburgh, etc, etc, are myths.

I also agree that the environment in which you drink it matters. Nothing tastes very good when consumed under the Cross Bronx Expressway.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Porfio,
Hehheh, I dont drink it under the cross bronx but I think you are right that it is not as fresh here. It definately is not just the ambience, there IS a different taste to it when I buy it here.Guess I'll have to book another trip soon so I can drink the real thing again.

Larry

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Porfio, as a control and to keep the playing fields equal, where would one go to get under the Malecon in S.D. to do a comparison taste test. Regards, PJT

Status
Not open for further replies.