Puerto Plata questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

RL7015

Jul 21, 2003
Hello All,

I stumbled upon this forum today and was so pleased to see how friendly and helpful everyone was. Anyway - My wife and I are traveling from the US (Commecticut) to Puerto Plata in Feb 04 for 9 days, we are actually booking the hotel tonight. I have a few questions:

1. The hotel is Casa Marina Beach and Reef - an Amhsa Resort - has anyone stayed at this hotel, is it nice? friendly staff? food?

2. Do all of the hotel have excursions to do snorkeling, parasailing, scuba, site seeing etc?

3. What is the weather like in February?

4. Are there any "must see" things to do while there?

Any help with be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Okey, since you are from the Nutmeg state I'll answer a bit

1) Do a search in Resorts for opinions on this resort in the small town of Sosua. they are positive.

2) Weather is like always, much better the Connecticut in February. I know since I lived in New Milford for three years....
Bring lots of sun block-so as not to ruin your vacation and bug spray so you don't feed the locals....

3) Yes, there are tons of day trips..Four wheel excurions, Jungles in an 8 x 8 all terrain vehicle, trips to waterfalls and cable cars..
the "must see" things are in Puerto Plata, just a 20 minute taxi, bus or guagua ride away. Ambar Museum, San Felipe Fort, Town Square, Victorian architecture

4) You will have fun...

HB

Camden Tom

Bronze
Dec 1, 2002
CHECK OUT CABARETE

Definately spend a day or 3 in Cabarete. It's only a 10 minute taxi ride from Sosua. A fantastic beach lined with dozens of great little bars and restaurants. The bay is filled with color from the many windsurfers and kiteboarders. It's definately a must see.

Reactions: Russell

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
As Hillbilly indicated, Casa Marina Beach/Reef resort is in Sosua, not Puerto Plata. Here is a link to the Sosua website. There you will find much info, including info on the resort http://www.sosua.com/

As Camden Tom indicated, nearby Cabarete is also worth a day or more, especially if you want to windsurf. Cabarete is world famous for windsurfing and kiting. Plus it is a great town to spend a day or two. It is easily reached by taxi or public transportation. Here are 2 links to Cabarete http://www.activecabarete.com/ http://www.hispaniola.com/Cabarete/index.html

johnsr

Bronze
Apr 13, 2002
Weather is like always, much better the Connecticut in February. I know since I lived in New Milford for three years....

Hell is better than Connecticut in Feb. HB!! I have lived in Stratford all my 56 years. Do the funny bikes (quad runners) it's a three hour ride through the back country and small villages and then down to the beach. Good chance to get off the "beaten path" and a lot of fun. Also doen't miss the cable car ride to the top of Isabella Del Torres (sp) great view of the Puerto Plata area!!!! Now you will be hooked on the DR like the rest of us!
John

Dec 9, 2002
The cable car is well worth it, but just make sure you go on a clear morning when you can see the top of the mountain, otherwise you'll get up there and not be able to see a thing!

RL7015

Jul 21, 2003
Generosity

Thanks everyone for your help. Your suggestions have been great and now we are looking forward to our trip even more than we were yesterday.

SuperStar

Apr 18, 2003
I can only answer 2 ?'s

The weather will be nice when you go there. Remember your going to the Carribean!

Parasailing, Snorkeling & other "physical" activities are done at your own risk. From what I understand cost additional & you may need a waiver to sign (hotel estab. not liable). It's the whole thing of you getting hurt & your (U.S.) life insurance not carrying over into another country. If you sprain your wrist & have to go to a hospital, be prepared to dish out a lot of dough. Not trying to take any fun out of it. But that's how it was explained to me when I was there.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
SuperStar said:
Parasailing, Snorkeling & other "physical" activities are done at your own risk. From what I understand cost additional & you may need a waiver to sign (hotel estab. not liable). It's the whole thing of you getting hurt & your (U.S.) life insurance not carrying over into another country. If you sprain your wrist & have to go to a hospital, be prepared to dish out a lot of dough. Not trying to take any fun out of it. But that's how it was explained to me when I was there.

Whoever gave this explanation to SuperStar must have been discouraging him from taking part in activities offered by other than the person giving this "explanation".

Actually, doctor and hospital costs in the DR are well below what is charged in the US and many other countries. And while it is true that your health insurance won't be accepted, you can pay the bill and then put in a claim to your health insurance company. I've been doing that for 17 years. If a person is injured in Cabarete while windsurfing or parasailing, I would recommend that they be taken to ServiMed on the main street of Cabarete. I can guarantee that you won't be overcharged.

If you want to scuba dive, you would most likely be better off if you didn't buy it from a tour operator at the hotel since they will need to make a commission. On the main street of Sosua, within easy walking of Casa Marina Beach/Reef, is Northercoast Diving. I highly recommend them http://www.northerncoastdiving.com/

For kiteboarding/kitesurfing, Kitexcite in Cabarete would be a good choice http://www.kitexcite.com./en/index.html

Windsurfing is available from three or four shops on the beach. Just walk along the main street of Sosua and you will find them.

As far as sight seeing trips, there are tour operators at the hotel selling a variety of excursions.

judyisnice

Oct 11, 2002
HI,

I always just buy the travel insurance when I get my ticket.It's been good for all my bumps and falls when I first got into the moterbikes.

The cost last year was $40.00 Canadian

That was the two week cost.

Hope this helps.....enjoy your trip

JUDY

RL7015

Jul 21, 2003
Ya gotta live your life

Hey,

Thanks again for all of this info.

In regards to injuries in the DR and costs associated with those injuries, the majority of respectable medical insurance companies will reimburse you for claims that originated outside of the country and even if they didn't you still have to live your life. I had to sign a waiver when I went skydiving, didnt stop me then (the stupid things you do when your 21.)

RL7015

Jul 21, 2003
Scuba Diving

Don't you need some sort of certification to go Scuba Diving or can first timers just dive right in? How much would it cost?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Northerncoast, for example, offers a training program which gives you certification. That would be a good activity for your visit. The link to their website that I posted above should give you the details re time and money.

goatfarmnga

Bronze
Jun 24, 2003
Re: Scuba Diving

RL7015 said:
Don't you need some sort of certification to go Scuba Diving or can first timers just dive right in? How much would it cost?
You are supposed to be Dive certified (card holder) to be able to rent tanks. The first time I went diving (81 ft no less..:)) I loved it and then went and got certified. My husband was a very experienced diver so took me to see if I would like it..I loved it and DOVE right in :). I do not recommend deep dives your first time out as I just got carried away! No idea of the costs but I am sure the DR is full of dive places. I can not wait to dive the DR myself! :) Pam

johnsr

Bronze
Apr 13, 2002
In regards to injuries in the DR and costs associated with those injuries, the majority of respectable medical insurance companies will reimburse you for claims that originated outside of the country and even if they didn't you still have to live your life.

My HMO (Health Net) paid for a visit to the doctor in Juan Dolio for an ear infection. (Swimmers Ear) I just paid by C.C. and submitted the recipt.
John

lissyde

Dec 3, 2002
I just returned yesterday from a 10 day vaca and we ended up visiting the medical center in Puerto Plata. One of the girls fell of the 4-wheeler and burned her leg on the wheel. She is fine but the doctors were great and the center was very clean and the staff was friendly. The excursion tour paid for all the expenses at the center, no questions asked!

RL7015

Jul 21, 2003
Vaca?

Other than the slight mishap did you enjoy the trip? What did you do? Where did you stay?

lissyde

Dec 3, 2002
I stayed at the Occidental Gran Flamenco for 7 nites then at the Jack Tar for 3 nites. I had a blast regardless of what happenned. I've this was my 3rd trip to DR in a year and I"ll keep going. I find the people to be very friendly and there so much to do. I prefer the Jack Tar simply because it's adults only but if you have children going with you, the Gran Flamenco had plenty of activities for kids as well. I've visited outside the All-inclusive hotel being that my friends' dad lives in Santiago and it's just wonderful! You're guaranteed to have a blast regardless if you do excursions or not! If you have the opportunity, go into the mountains, Isabel de Torre I believe it's called, it's gorgeous! and if you have the time take a cab over to Sosua, it's a great town! Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.