Airport to Hotel in Santo Domingo

dmsport

Jul 24, 2003
Greetings,

I'm travelling to Santo Domingo on Tuesday for the Pan Am Games.

I'm from New York, and I don't really speak any Spanish. I'll be arriving at Las Am?ricas Airport in Santo Domingo in the afternoon. My question is, what is the best way to get from the airport to my hotel in the city? How does one go about finding a good taxi, and not one that's going to charge the lost tourist 90 dollars for a short ride?

Any advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks.

Kay

Jul 8, 2003
Blind leading the blind

I'll be arriving next week. I hope you find an internet cafe' and tell me "What is what."

Meanwhile, I have heard...
There are 350 new buses for the games. Maybe they will herd us from one place to another...

Taxi sounds quickest and not too $$...
I'm considering guaguas, cheap but that is adventurous.
D....m I miss spell check.

Which sport?
Hope i see ya, Kayla
LOL, change made in my name because,
Kay = Que? [sp]= What? [eng]

DR1 folk thanks i am really looking forward to this!

Last edited:

Kay

Jul 8, 2003
Ground transport Airport West past SD

For the first day, if there is not a special bus. I am assuming a Taxi can take me via Charles de Gaule. That, is what the guide book recomends if one is driving a car.

After that if they don't strap me in a bus I want to try guaguas.
I'm acutally looking forward to casava. I read about it on Dominicancooking.com [Thanks Godess]

-kayla

:glasses:

I still need a room so i learned new words today.
Publico and ospitaje sin lugo?
Sorry about the spelling, mine is so bad I became a science major to hide it. So it is worse in espanol.

Last edited:

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Flat Rate , Arrange in Advance

Ask the taxi dispatcher what the flat rate is ( in pesos if you are smart) to the capital - should be around RD$350 or so ($10 US, e.g.) . Ensure you have pesos when you leave the airport - buy some at Banco Reservas in the luggage/customs area.

The cabs are not metered and there won't be $90 long and winding trips (like JFK to NYC with Japanese tourists on board) , but be certain of the flat rate in advance, if you are shaky on your Spanish write it down and have the driver sign the paper .

Use <B>"RD$350" </B> as the way to note the amount. Not just a "$" sign. So there is no confusion it is US$.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
I called the union at the airport and the fare is US$27 to Santo Domingo hotels. That is up US$2 from last year. For local residents the taxi union gives a break. They are transporting Dominicans to their home addresses for RD$500, up from RD$350 last year.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Interesting Dual Price System

Dolores said:
I called the union at the airport and the fare is US$27 to Santo Domingo hotels. That is up US$2 from last year. For local residents the taxi union gives a break. They are transporting Dominicans to their home addresses for RD$500, up from RD$350 last year.

SDQ airport to Boca Chica they tell you it is RD$350 or US$18 which of course is RD$630, or 80% higher. I pay in pesos and they don't complain. Actually I pay RD$400 with tip. I have not once had a driver complain that I am paying them obviously less than US$18.

If it is RD$500 to the capital then I think you can tell the driver you are paying in pesos RD$500 and pay the more appropriate US$14 or 55% of the quoted rate.

I think it helps if you ask in Spanish and make it fairly clear that you know the prices in pesos already.

I will ask the dispatcher on Friday next out of curiosity what they want in RD$ for the capital and see if they tell me an obvious gringo RD$500 or not.

I also plan to try to hire a taxi for the day out of Boca Chica to SD - normally they want US$50 for the trip including 3 hours waiting time - then US$10 an hour. We need a car from about 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. (10 hours being $50 plus $70 waiting for $120 total) and I think I can haggle them under US$120 since there won't be all that much driving, and with minimal additional gas consumption (due to sitting a lot and driving a little) cost I think US$120 for a day is outrageous.

A rental car and gas and even a driver would set you back 1/2 of that. I am sure a local person would be happy to earn $30-40 for a day's work.

I fear PanAm game gouging might take place or try to, but we'll see.

Last edited: