Tom and Mary's BIG adventure

Camden Tom

Bronze
Dec 1, 2002
Every time we come to the DR there is exciting anticipation, but this time more than most. We're going to Santo Domingo for the first time. We'll stay a couple days to take in some of the Pan Am events and then off to Cabarete, our home away from home. A year and a half ago, we bought a building on the beach on the east edge of Cabarete. It had been built as a restaurant but it had gone out of business. It has full wall glass windows facing the ocean. We decided to do a major remodeling and converted it into a house. The remodel started in Feb and just finished last month. We will be staying in it for the first time. Can't wait.

Soooooooooooo........Saturday, August 16th we would like to invite any of you North Coasters with nothing better to do, to stop by for a little house warming. The furnishing may be sparse but the refrigerator will be full of Presidente and maybe some rum and cokes.

So far, the only DR1er's we've met are Ken and Barbara and Crista(Chris) and Richard and they were a blast. We'd like to meet more of you. Hey Ken, is Dean Brown a DR1 lurker? If so, we know him and his lovely wife Wanda.

Anytime after 1PM would be great. Stop in for 1 or stay the afternoon. Let us know if you can stop by so we'll have plenty of snacks and refreshments on hand.

We don't actually have an address so when we get there we will measure the distance heading east from Jose' O'Shay's and then we will post that distance. We'll also put a DR1 sign on the door. Our front door is right on the road.

HOPE YOU CAN MAKE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Great! I've been watching the progress of what I think is your house (I'm still not sure exactly which one so I've been watching the progress generally in the area - I'm now an expert on how many bricks have been laid down there generally). You must be really excited.

We'll come and share a Presidente with you (I'll bring some wine along!)

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Tom and Mary are great people. Hopefully they will be here for one of our future reunions.

Barbara and I are anxious to see that house you and Mary have been enthusing about. We'll be there on the 16th.

Peter & Alex

Bronze
May 3, 2003
www.rainbowsenddr.com
We'll be there....

Great invite! We also think that we know where it is - but put up a big sign as my glasses broke and I'm using an old pair which makes everything look smaller than it really is!!
We'll be there too - maybe even persuade Paul Thate to accompany us - we're all DR1'rs living in Cabarete.
Looking forward to it.
Peter & Alexandra

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
IT CANNOT BE ON THE 16TH!!!!

The 16th of August is the Day of San Rafael and the day that the President of the Dominican Republic gives a speech in the National Congress.

As San Rafael Day, all Dominicans, and residents (If they know what is good for them) are duty bound to attend mass in the Morning to give thanks for the health and well being of Rafael Trujillo, our Benefactor.

All residents and citizens MUST listen to the speech given by the President. He may even talk some Spanish.

All traffic is forbidden that day and Presidente is not to be sold at any store, colmado, or colmad?n, The penalties for infractions are up to RD$35.00 or 30 days in Villa Altagracia!

Heavy vehicles, such as those used to transport Hillbillies and their families or CCCCCC and their get are prohibited from using the national road system.

I am sorry CamdenTom, but as anybody from New Joisey should know, you don't mess with the "guys".....

I hearby call off this event, until further notice, to keep you all out of jail or worser!!

Hb

Camden Tom

Bronze
Dec 1, 2002
HEY HILLBILLY

are you BSin' me and I just don't get it? Tell me the truth now. Tom and Mary don't want to be the legendary figures for getting the most DR1ers landed in the pokey in one day. BTW this particular Camden is the name of a neighborhood in Minneapolis.

JanH

Dec 26, 2002
Wish we could have met you and Mary when we were there last week. Maybe during the Xmas holidays?

I walked by your rental in Casa Linda. All looks good.

Palmas will be down there then. Hope you all can meet. (She emailed you several times about your Casa Linda house, remember?)

palmas

Jan 7, 2002
We'll be there!!!!

Jan's right Tom and Mary. Alex and I will be there during that time and would love to meet both of you.

I remember looking at your place in Casa Linda and having an interest in it. Tried emailing you a few times with interest in viewing your place, but to no avail.

Hope we can meet. We arrive on the 11th.

The only thing that I am worried about is bringing Alex and his sense of humour. Ask JanH about this husband of man. Never a dull moment with him.

Thanks,
Anabela (palmas)

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Full steam ahead with your plans, Tom. If you are in jail, you will have a lot of dr1 cell mates.

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Camden Tom said:
A year and a half ago, we bought a building on the beach on the east edge of Cabarete. It had been built as a restaurant but it had gone out of business. It has full wall glass windows facing the ocean. We decided to do a major remodeling and converted it into a house. The remodel started in Feb and just finished last month. We will be staying in it for the first time. Can't wait.

Soooooooooooo........Saturday, August 16th we would like to invite any of you North Coasters with nothing better to do, to stop by for a little house warming. The furnishing may be sparse but the refrigerator will be full of Presidente and maybe some rum and cokes.

Geez. I almost bought that house just beofre you did. Belgians, right? My wife would have never forgiven me, but I still think it's a great location. Congratulations! Alba and I will put it on our calendar. I want to see how your plans compare with what I'd thought about for converting it to a home and office for me!

Tom (aka XR)

Camden Tom

Bronze
Dec 1, 2002
FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What a super response. Ken and Chris, you are early risers. Thanks for your fast response. Definately look forward to seeing you and the spouses.

Peter and Alex, we've read your posts, love your sense of adventure and enthusiasm, glad you can make it.

Alex and Anabela (Palmas) Sorry about the confusion regarding the Casa Linda house. But, apart from that, we're glad you will be down to share the day with us.

Xanadu, That is the same building. I think you will be suprised. If it turns out that your plans were better that ours, I don't want to know. (just kidding)

Mr Hillbilly, here's the plan. We buy everything the day before including a radio to listen to the speech. Come on up the night before, Cabarete is a great place to spend a Friday night, thereby avoiding the roadway moritorium. Dinner's on us.

Jazzcom, I don't know if you will still be down there, but this is one of the houses I talked to you about attaching to your web site. Hope you can make it.

JanH Sorry you're gone already, but we will definately be back right after Christmas. We will look forward to seeing you then.

PS THERE'S ROOM FOR MORE

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Minneapolis?

Camden Tom said:
...this particular Camden is the name of a neighborhood in Minneapolis.

I'm from Dubuque, Iowa. Visited Minneapolis lots, as it was only about a 6-hour drive, or 45 minute flight away. And, I have been a Viking fan for life.

Go Vikes!

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Good Place Minneapolis, can't play football, but a good place

Ah the Viqueens, yes I do seem to remember.....Purple People Eaters.....Now they got Moss without Carter...

Oh yes Camden, I was messin' wit youse.

All that stuff goes on in Santo Domingo...bunch of hooey...like pee-pee holes in the snow!

Anyway, if possible we will atempt to show up, me n' Ma. Don't know yet how complicated August is going to get...

HB

Camden Tom

Bronze
Dec 1, 2002
Just a fountain of knowledge

HB, you know something about everything, amazing!!! The queens are working on there defensive personal but they've got a long way to go. Hope you can make it, it would be the frosting on our cake.

Scott, glad you can make it. Looking forward to meeting the infamous F,L, and U American.

egomezb

Feb 17, 2003
Just don't pay attention to Hillbillie. If they start putting people in jail for drinking that day, then the goverment will need to build a few more jails (like 1 or 2 dozens) :laugh:

Camden Tom

Bronze
Dec 1, 2002
Additional welcomes to Casa Playa

New attendee's include Paul Thate. Apparently he lives a very short distance down the beach from us. He promises to share 'life on the beach' stories with us. Paul, I ordered some corrosionx for you.

Dean and Wanda Brown will also be joining us. You can never talk too much real estate. For those of you who haven't met them.......good folks.

judyisnice

Oct 11, 2002
This all sounds like so much fun, I wish it were winter so I could be there to meet all of you.

Well I'm sure it will be a great bash.

This is me , just so sad to be missing all the fun.

ENJOY!

JUDY

palmas

Jan 7, 2002
Hi Tom and Mary,

Looks like you are going to have a great turn out on this day.

Alex and I are looking forward to meeting both of you and seeing this place of yours that we have heard sooooo much about.

To finally meet some of the people from the DR1 who have been so helpful during our time of research will certainly be a treat for us. Alex is a die-hard Viking fan and has been for many years. There may be alot of NFL politics going on that day. Put 2 Viking fans together (xanaduranch and Alex) and watch those horns come out, and maybe the braids too.

Can't wait!!!!
Anabela and Alex

Camden Tom

Bronze
Dec 1, 2002
Thanks Anabela, glad you can make it. Don't expect too much, It's not a very big house but man, what a view.

BTW, I know in my first post I said "any of you north coasters" but of course, all DR1er's are welcome.